Help!!! Subject choices!! Too Many UNITS!!! (1 Viewer)

yinks

HSC
Hi, I'm fairly new on boredofstudies, well i haven't actually posted anything up yet...but anyway

I really really desperately need help in choosing which subject to drop. Currently, I'm doing 14 units-

Advanced English, Extension 1 and Extension 2, Maths Advanced, and Extension 1, Ancient History, Extension History, Chemistry, PDHPE

I'm really have trouble in deciding which one to drop, as I want to do 12 units ideally. My parents say to drop PDHPE because it doesn't scale as well, but I came first in the preliminary course. My worst subject is Chemistry, but I got average, and I think I could do better if I tried harder. Also, I'm worried that if I drop it, the extensions English and History are too subjective and I wouldnt be able to score highly in those. But on the other hand, I really like English and History extensions.

I'm aiming for a UAI of 98+, 99+ if possible

I keep changing my mind, so could someone please help me?!!! Much appreciated. thanks.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Which is your least favourite subject? Which subjects will help you in your future career\education? Which course are you finding challenging?

Basically it is your decision to make not your parents as it is you who will have to do the work and the study and you who will decided what and where you want to be next year. Try not to worry about scaling to much now there is really little to no point choosing a subject because it scales well but not having an interest or doing well in it.

Oh and welcome to BOS.

kkewi90

MUAHAHHAHAA~~
HSC
you're allowed to do 14units at your school? we can only do max 12 i think.
drop the subject you dislike the most/ useless

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Wow ur doing almost as much as me, (prelim 14, HSC started 15 nxt monday i'll drop to 13...yay:) ), we share 10 units and had the same dilemma i did!

You should get all the advice u get eg 06's yr 12, teachers, head teachers, careers adviser, family (who probs know u best), friends, ur Board of Studies rep.

Basically after that d.o what Kid.@dmin said (fave sub, sub4career, challenging & mine: wat's REWARDING .

There's no pressure to drop anything until u feel like it. Wait a while if u want. If all else fails write every subject u have on a piece of paper and put it into a hat, pick 1 and hope 4 the best! Good luck. :D

yinks

HSC
what subjects were you doing and what did you drop?

everyone keeps telling me to do different things, and im getting stressed out about the workload.

also i keep overthinking what if i could do better in this, if i studied harder etc..

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
everyone keeps telling me to do different things, and im getting stressed out about the workload.

also i keep overthinking what if i could do better in this, if i studied harder etc..
yeh ur exactly like me. just try 2 chill 4 a while k. well wat u wanna b then? also have u check ur syllabus and looked over past papers they'll give u an indication of what the course it like and what your leading up to.

btw those were the exact and i mean exact thoughts i had all through prelim and the start of the HSC year.

Last edited:

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
yinks said:
Hi, I'm fairly new on boredofstudies, well i haven't actually posted anything up yet...but anyway

I really really desperately need help in choosing which subject to drop. Currently, I'm doing 14 units-

Advanced English, Extension 1 and Extension 2, Maths Advanced, and Extension 1, Ancient History, Extension History, Chemistry, PDHPE

I'm really have trouble in deciding which one to drop, as I want to do 12 units ideally. My parents say to drop PDHPE because it doesn't scale as well, but I came first in the preliminary course. My worst subject is Chemistry, but I got average, and I think I could do better if I tried harder. Also, I'm worried that if I drop it, the extensions English and History are too subjective and I wouldnt be able to score highly in those. But on the other hand, I really like English and History extensions.

I'm aiming for a UAI of 98+, 99+ if possible

I keep changing my mind, so could someone please help me?!!! Much appreciated. thanks.
Are you confident to get first in HSC PD/H/PE? If so, drop chem, since it's your worst subject. But in the end it all depends on what do you wanna do :) What are you planning to study at uni?

Sam.

bored.
HSC
A lot of it depends on what you want to study after school. Certain subjects may not be required to get into a particular course, but are near-essential if you want to pass (such as maths and science in medicine).

Try not to think too much about scaling, particularly if you're doing very, very well in a subject. If Chemistry is your worst subject, and you don't enjoy it, I'd probably drop that. If you don't find that science comes naturally to you, by the end of the year Chemistry becomes a rather challenging course.

But again, all of this depends on how hard you're willing to work to improve and whether or not you'll need it after school.

HSC
Yinks...Like what everyone else said..
Look at what subjects you think are your downfall and which ones you least enjoy or need..
Don't listen to specific suggestions people have about what subs you should or shouldn't do..Its up to you. I know i haven't really helped but i wish you luck.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
MortImmortelle said:
Yinks...Like what everyone else said..
Look at what subjects you think are your downfall and which ones you least enjoy or need..
Don't listen to specific suggestions people have about what subs you should or shouldn't do..Its up to you. I know i haven't really helped but i wish you luck.
That advice might be common, but its the best advice, hope you make the right decision.

nitnit

HSC
Do what's best for your future-ur career pathways

If you are struggling in a subject ie Chem, it is best to drop it as it will allow more time for you to study for other units.

Good luck !

Sweet Saz

HSC
Hey yinks,
I'm glad I've found someone else that is having the same problem as me. At the moment I'm doing 14 units as well, and I can't decide what to drop. I love all of them. I'm doing Enlish Advanced, English Extension 1 and 2, Mathematics (2 unit), Ancient history, Japanese continuers, Biology and Visual arts. But I can't keep them all, I'm going crazy with the workload and the pressure.
I think it'll either be art or english extension that'll go. Both because they have a major work and I can't decide what do to for either of them. I could drop both, and do 10 units but I don't know.
Have you got any closer to making a decision yet?? Has anyone helped you so far?
Anyway, Good Luck with your decision. Sorry I can't help. Some advise I got was "go with your gut" but it didn't work for me. Maybe it will for you ;)

Sam.

bored.
HSC
A girl and guy in my year each did four major works: two Drama, one English Extension 2 and one Visual Arts and they're both going to do very well. So, don't let the number of major works you have blind you. Mind you, they both had to work very hard to get them done.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Major works are only a hassel when you leave them to the last minute. Don't drop a sub that u like and enjoy doing just coz there's a major work.

Sweet Saz said:
I'm glad I've found someone else that is having the same problem as me. ;)
Me, Sweet Saz and yinks should start a club of those who had waaaaaaaay too many units and can't decide what to do.
:lol:

Last edited:

adgala

HSC
extension history requires a lot of effort for only 1 unit, consider dropping that if you find you don't like it or it gets a bit heavy (which it will for your major project). but, like most have said, do what you like and forget about scaling and pre-requisites for uni courses (etc).

but don't just drop 2 units because you "need" to drop them, if you're doing well and you can balance everything out, stick with it!

yinks

HSC
wow, thanks for everyone with the help...went to the uni day on wednesday, and got even more freaked out about the HSC... i still dont really know exactly what I want to do in Uni

a friend of mine asked me if i wanted to do a tutoring workshop for the UMAT, only it costs like $475, and im already doing a chemistry tutoring workshop which costs $650. my parents say not to worry about the money cos they just really want me to have as much chance as possible of doing what i want. which i dont know.

anyway, i like chemistry at tutoring cos its such a small class, and we an ask questions and stuff, but i hate it at school, cos the class is huge, and the teacher isnt that great. so im leaning towards dropping chemistry and history extension, but then worried about the scaling and subjectivity etc.

*sigh*

The-Noodle

HSC
4 extensions subjects will be pretty intense and a lot of work, so I'd lean towards dropping one of the extensions. Otherwise get rid of the subject that, you are worst at and also involves most work, so that you can concentrate on your extensions. 12 units with 4 extensions will be a lot of work in itself. Maybe lean toward 10 or 11 so you can concentrate on the extensions. Choose wisely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)