Help the farmers - Drought Action Day - 15th Feb (1 Viewer)

conno3000

HSC
N/A
Safeway and Woolies are giving away an entire days profits to farmers (4 out of 5 of which are still in drought) – all you need to do is shop at any Safeway or Woolies on February 15th and all of the profits will go to the Country Women’s Association for distribution to farming families in need.

Last year, Australians raised over $4.7m - let's try and crack $5m this year. I'm working with Woolies to raise awareness of this initiative, your help in passing the message on would be appreciated.

Check this out for more info: www.woolworthsdroughtaction.com.au

Last edited:

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
FFS if it rained for 100 days straight, NOTHING WOULD GO INTO THE DAMS. and we would still be in drought.

The Drought is a conspiracy, Middle-eastern Terrorist Farmers are tricking the Australian People into donating their money which is funnelled to Al Qaeda. :)

HSC
Hooray for PR stunts! I presume there is a thorough process to make sure the money gets to the good, sustainable farmers, rather than the ones who don't bother preparing for bad years because they know they'll get bailed out by city folk who take pity on them for farming unfarmable land?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Get fucked. If the farmers can't stand up on their own two feet without charity, then logic dictates we can import stuff for cheaper.

banco55

HSC
katie_tully said:
K, if you know how to prepare for a 7 year drought, I'd love to hear your wisdom.

The land wasn't unfarmable until the drought started, fyi. Some of it may have been marginal, but it wasn't unsustainable. The hardest hit are actually those who farmed along the Murray-Darling, and who'd have thought irrigation country would become unfarmable in a few years.

Wake up.
Lots of business downturns are difficult to forsee. Difference is not all industries get bailed out by the taxpayer.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
withoutaface said:
Get fucked. If the farmers can't stand up on their own two feet without charity, then logic dictates we can import stuff for cheaper.
Spoken like a true libertarian.

:/

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Actually some farms that have been sitting in drought for the last few years experienced floods by that intense week of rain recently, which destroyed a lot of their crops.

Don't ask me to source that, I heard it in passing on A Current Affair. Just seems like such a hopeless battle to me sometimes.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
I find it ironic that Woolworths, who have rorted not only farmers but subsequently consumers so extensively over the years, are the driving force behind this day. It's amazing how PR hype can override the realities of the world without question..

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
testiclepilot said:
Farmers provide an important service, more so than many other businesses.
People value food, if the cost of production goes up because of drought I'm fairly sure the bulk of them would prefer to pay more when the other option is starving. Of course if this cost goes up too much and buying from overseas becomes cheaper, then their service ceases to be valuable because it's adequately filled by foreigners.

banco55

HSC
testiclepilot said:
Farmers provide an important service, more so than many other businesses.
If they are in drought and aren't producing an economically viable crop then who are they providing a service to exactly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)