Help transgetic (1 Viewer)

ssovon

HSC
What is a named example of transgetic plant, and why is important.... I really need this i have an exam in a 5 days.... THANKS

tam101

HSC
firstly, its transgenic plants, examples of them are:
  • soya beans that australia now imports. they have been genetically engineered to be resistant to the herbicide roundup, so that the soya bean crop is not harmed when it is sprayed to kill weeds.
  • feild peas that contain a gene from french beans which produces a protein that causes pea-eating insects to starve to death.
hope it helps, good luck xxxx

smurfus

HSC
There is also BT Cotton which is grown in Australia

A gene is taken from Baccilus Thuringiensis (a bacteria) and is inserted into the cotton plant
It maes the plant resistant to Heliothis a moth destoying the crops
It apparently cuts down on the amount of chemical pesticides need for viable farming

Good luck :wave:

mzduxx2006

HSC
well a transgenic species is a species who has had its DNA removed and is replaced with DNA from another species. um an example would be Mendel and his theory of the snow peas in which he cross bred them in order to research their inherited characteristic traits etc.etc. He cross bred them by taking the DNA from long-stemed snow peas, and injecting the DNA in short stemed snow pea plants, and then researched the offspring.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
mzduxx2006 said:
well a transgenic species is a species who has had its DNA removed and is replaced with DNA from another species. um an example would be Mendel and his theory of the snow peas in which he cross bred them in order to research their inherited characteristic traits etc.etc. He cross bred them by taking the DNA from long-stemed snow peas, and injecting the DNA in short stemed snow pea plants, and then researched the offspring.
No Mendel's experiment was NOT an example. Transgenic species is when a bit of code from one organisms DNA is inserted (using splicing techniques) into that of another organism.

This threads been done so many times

HSC
N/A
OH, so it is transgenic... apparently there's something "transgetic", but I didn't have a freaking clue about that transgetic stuff.

Eh, a species? Well, there are plants that are resistant to subzero conditions. They splice the genes of the Arctic fish that are resistant to the cold, and they insert it into the plants. This functionally allows the plants to grow where they previously couldn't.

I'm sorry that I've horribly explained this...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)