Help: Why is my school so bad? (1 Viewer)

TheHippo

So far this year, three of my teachers have been replaced.

For SoftwareDesignAndDevelopment, our teacher taught us almost absolutely nothing. We complained several times to the higher authorities about her, but we were rejected and told that "previous classes have achieved high results, therefore she is an adequate teacher, and it is you(the class) with the problem, because she is a professional teacher". So we researched a bit, well a lot about this teacher and found out that students who were previously in her class several years ago had the exact same problem but never had the courage to stand up because they thought it would jeopardise their HSC. After attempting to get this teacher replaced, or for her to change her teaching methods, nothing happened so we resorted to going to the local newspaper and asking them if they would assist us and write an article about our current situation. The newspaper gladly obliged but had to receive permission to use the schools name in the paper, or they would get in trouble ;). So the news paper sent a few people to the school to discuss the situation and obtain permission. I was away on this particular day this happened, but I was told by the other three members of the class that accompanied myself to the newspaper, that they were suspended until further notice by the relieving principal (the higher authority we constantly complained to about this teacher). The next day when the official principal returned to school, we were told that what the relieving principal did was wrong, and it shouldn’t have happened as we were just exercising are right to freedom of speech and that the principal would just like an interview with our parents the inform them about the situation.
Anyways, this teacher never returned after this day, and we were told that she was receiving medical assistance due to nervous breakdown, and that the principal knew that her teaching methods were lacking due to personal problems that were happening with her family life. So therefore, we lost this teacher. She barely taught us a thing when we were with her for the first two terms of year twelve, and we do not have a qualified teacher to teach us.
We have been given a replacement teacher who has to teacher herself the topics in the syllabus before she teachers the class, and we also have to relearn, in the insignificant amount of time we had, the pervious topics that were meant to have been taught to the class.
The class was offered extra class before and after school on particular days, so me and a class mate agreed to attend these extra classes twice a fortnight in order to revise previous work as it is greatly needed.

For Mathematics 2 Unit our teacher just disappeared when we(the class) returned back to school in term three of year twelve (term two this year). We had to be merged with the current 3 Unit class and be forced to attend 3 periods of 2 Unit mathematic catch up each fortnight to cover topics we should already know.
This teacher was a decent teacher previously, he wasn’t the best but I would have been happy with this teacher, rather than our current situation.
To show prove how our class is disadvantaged, the course average for the 2 Unit class, was 34% for the half-yearly tests, while the marks for the 3 Unit class, for the 2 Unit paper, received 65% for their class average. I know that it is most likely that the 3 Unit class has more intelligent people, but with the majority of the class failing (I think one person passed), the teacher has to take some responsibility for not adequately teaching the class.

For LegalStudies, during the end of term four last year (term one year twelve), our teacher was not in the classroom, atleast 80% of the time, he usually arrived late, camea to class, handed out worksheets (a lot of them, which I am thankful for, but I would have been appreciated to go through this work) and then he left the class, to attend other duties as he was the reliving principal, as aforementioned in the SoftwareDesignAndDevelopment situation.
We learnt quite a lot due to this teachers teaching ability, and I agree that he is one of the best teachers in the school. But now, we have had this teacher replaced by an Indian teacher (not I am not being racist) and nobody understands what he is saying due to his accent, and there are some quite intelligent people who attend this class. This teacher just hands out sheets, and writes exactly what is in them on the blackboard, and talks about contemporary issues in society, and has not even touched on the topics that I have been forced to read and summarise in the text books handed out.
There are two legal studies classes in our school, the other class now has the previous teacher we had (he could take this class because it is on a different line and he has time to teach the class at this time, but not when we had class). I have been told by members of this class that they have receive two guest speakers so far this year that have talked to them about the legal system (while we have not had one). Some members of our class were offered the chance to attend this class to obtain the experience that would have happened, and catch up on work that they had in the class of this line, but others were not given this chance, and I did not even know about these guest speakers till a few days ago.
The other class receives plenty of homework, thick booklets of notes and are actually taught by a qualified professional teacher, which I find quite frustrating as this is an advantage to them, while our class barely receives homework, and only rarely receives sheets (not booklets, we usually receive 2 piece of paper stabled together) and although I agree the teacher we have knows the topic well they have an extreme lack of teaching qualifications and thus, is a horrible teacher.
Due to our circumstances, class members are forced to, in their own time, ask the teacher of the other class for notes that he has handed to his legal studies class, that we have not received. But, we(the class) are also told “I will get them later” or “I am busy at the moment” and repeatedly had to wait over a week to obtain these notes.

If anyone reads through all this, please give me your opinions as I find it quite a disadvantage to myself, and other students who are possibly in my situation.
I find it difficult to actually teach myself the part of these courses which were either missed or poorly taught (a lot of it missing), as well as study for the other two subjects which I attend.

Oh, btw, not one person passed in the half yearly Standard English course at my school, the highest was 49% in the grade. I read another thread about this aswell, so I don’t know if it’s the course or the school, but it looks like I’m going to have to be spending a lot more time than I should catching up on all this missed work.

This school is located in far south western Sydney if anyone was interested, and is a public school.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
:( i dont think you know what apathy means ..
apathy=lazyness

and to the originator maybe its some sort of test to see how you handle the pressure and to see if you are better then incompetence and ispire your teachers to teach...or work hard by yourself and achieve this..

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Bad Luck.

If you can afford a tutor for maths and/or english get one. Otherwise you'll just need to put in alot of extra effort. It's unlucky but there isn't much you can do about it.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
umm i feel bad but i guess there isnt much u can do
if u and ur class were really motivated to do well u could stay back for an hour and just help each other with problems
usually its not hard to teach urself a course.. just follow the textbook.. and just ask others if u dont get anything.. or the subject coordinator

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
Originally posted by Slide Rule
The modern English word 'apathy' comes from the Latin word 'apathia', which is from the Greek word 'apatheia', from 'apathes' which meant "without feeling". You can break 'apathes' down into the prefix 'a-', which means "without" and the word 'pathos' which meant "feeling". I do not know the indo-european root.

Similar etymology is found for: empathy, sympathy, pathos, to name a few.

The modern English meaning of 'apathy' is "general indifference".

To quote dictionary.com:
Somebody knows how to use a dictionary:rolleyes: *

I would say change schools, a sub-par school could easily take away all opportunity of you receiving a decent UAI.

*I'm also a nerd and pedantic so my mocking you should be taken in that context:D

evilferret

HSC
extended hsc

maybe you should think about doing the hsc over two years.
finish year 12 at tafe or something.

astro

HSC
shit...ur school is bad...and i thought mine my crap.....your school doesn't happen to be casula h.s or james meehan??
Maybe you should do ur hsc in tafe.....

clerisy

HSC
Originally posted by SpoRTsGaL
well you guys haven't heard about effective independent autonomous learning.
That's pretty much it. I have a similar situation in Modern History, and I have to teach myself. Granted its a hell of a lot more work-- particularly in more obscure topics that the textbooks choose not to cover-- and it can get very stressful, but ultimately you do what you've got to do. I'm actually quite chuffed with my teaching abilities!-- I know more for modern than I do in my other subjects! (aren't I brilliant?)

beergirl

polka dots are cool
HSC
To be honest, we've nearly finished term two, trials are next term, so basically you have 15 weeks (inc holidays) to teach yourself your courses before school is out. If there was such a big problem before you shouldnt have let it go on for so long...

At my school the Modern History teacher was so crap that the class complained, and persisted, now they have a new teacher for year 12...

I guess what I'm saying is that you should have done something about it earlier...

If you have textbooks and a copy of the syllabus it is possible to teach yourself. If you have friends in other schools then see if you can study with them. Use the forums to ask for help.

And pretty much stop complaining and start doing!!!

mack

Banned
HSC
If you work hard and get right up there in the HSC, school will make little difference. One of the duxes of 2003 Legal Studies went to a school below 400 and recieved a UAI of 98.55. So dont worry.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
its hard when teachers suck. we have a chem teacher of whom cant get any experiments write so we basiclly have to learn the subject from a textbook ( you can do it with subs like business .. but learning chem by yourself?!?!)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by TheHippo
So far this year, three of my teachers have been replaced.

For SoftwareDesignAndDevelopment, our teacher taught us almost absolutely nothing. We complained several times to the higher authorities about her, but we were rejected and told that "previous classes have achieved high results, therefore she is an adequate teacher, and it is you(the class) with the problem, because she is a professional teacher". So we researched a bit, well a lot about this teacher and found out that students who were previously in her class several years ago had the exact same problem but never had the courage to stand up because they thought it would jeopardise their HSC. After attempting to get this teacher replaced, or for her to change her teaching methods, nothing happened so we resorted to going to the local newspaper and asking them if they would assist us and write an article about our current situation. The newspaper gladly obliged but had to receive permission to use the schools name in the paper, or they would get in trouble ;). So the news paper sent a few people to the school to discuss the situation and obtain permission. I was away on this particular day this happened, but I was told by the other three members of the class that accompanied myself to the newspaper, that they were suspended until further notice by the relieving principal (the higher authority we constantly complained to about this teacher). The next day when the official principal returned to school, we were told that what the relieving principal did was wrong, and it shouldn’t have happened as we were just exercising are right to freedom of speech and that the principal would just like an interview with our parents the inform them about the situation.
Anyways, this teacher never returned after this day, and we were told that she was receiving medical assistance due to nervous breakdown, and that the principal knew that her teaching methods were lacking due to personal problems that were happening with her family life. So therefore, we lost this teacher. She barely taught us a thing when we were with her for the first two terms of year twelve, and we do not have a qualified teacher to teach us.
We have been given a replacement teacher who has to teacher herself the topics in the syllabus before she teachers the class, and we also have to relearn, in the insignificant amount of time we had, the pervious topics that were meant to have been taught to the class.
The class was offered extra class before and after school on particular days, so me and a class mate agreed to attend these extra classes twice a fortnight in order to revise previous work as it is greatly needed.

For Mathematics 2 Unit our teacher just disappeared when we(the class) returned back to school in term three of year twelve (term two this year). We had to be merged with the current 3 Unit class and be forced to attend 3 periods of 2 Unit mathematic catch up each fortnight to cover topics we should already know.
This teacher was a decent teacher previously, he wasn’t the best but I would have been happy with this teacher, rather than our current situation.
To show prove how our class is disadvantaged, the course average for the 2 Unit class, was 34% for the half-yearly tests, while the marks for the 3 Unit class, for the 2 Unit paper, received 65% for their class average. I know that it is most likely that the 3 Unit class has more intelligent people, but with the majority of the class failing (I think one person passed), the teacher has to take some responsibility for not adequately teaching the class.

For LegalStudies, during the end of term four last year (term one year twelve), our teacher was not in the classroom, atleast 80% of the time, he usually arrived late, camea to class, handed out worksheets (a lot of them, which I am thankful for, but I would have been appreciated to go through this work) and then he left the class, to attend other duties as he was the reliving principal, as aforementioned in the SoftwareDesignAndDevelopment situation.
We learnt quite a lot due to this teachers teaching ability, and I agree that he is one of the best teachers in the school. But now, we have had this teacher replaced by an Indian teacher (not I am not being racist) and nobody understands what he is saying due to his accent, and there are some quite intelligent people who attend this class. This teacher just hands out sheets, and writes exactly what is in them on the blackboard, and talks about contemporary issues in society, and has not even touched on the topics that I have been forced to read and summarise in the text books handed out.
There are two legal studies classes in our school, the other class now has the previous teacher we had (he could take this class because it is on a different line and he has time to teach the class at this time, but not when we had class). I have been told by members of this class that they have receive two guest speakers so far this year that have talked to them about the legal system (while we have not had one). Some members of our class were offered the chance to attend this class to obtain the experience that would have happened, and catch up on work that they had in the class of this line, but others were not given this chance, and I did not even know about these guest speakers till a few days ago.
The other class receives plenty of homework, thick booklets of notes and are actually taught by a qualified professional teacher, which I find quite frustrating as this is an advantage to them, while our class barely receives homework, and only rarely receives sheets (not booklets, we usually receive 2 piece of paper stabled together) and although I agree the teacher we have knows the topic well they have an extreme lack of teaching qualifications and thus, is a horrible teacher.
Due to our circumstances, class members are forced to, in their own time, ask the teacher of the other class for notes that he has handed to his legal studies class, that we have not received. But, we(the class) are also told “I will get them later” or “I am busy at the moment” and repeatedly had to wait over a week to obtain these notes.

If anyone reads through all this, please give me your opinions as I find it quite a disadvantage to myself, and other students who are possibly in my situation.
I find it difficult to actually teach myself the part of these courses which were either missed or poorly taught (a lot of it missing), as well as study for the other two subjects which I attend.

Oh, btw, not one person passed in the half yearly Standard English course at my school, the highest was 49% in the grade. I read another thread about this aswell, so I don’t know if it’s the course or the school, but it looks like I’m going to have to be spending a lot more time than I should catching up on all this missed work.

This school is located in far south western Sydney if anyone was interested, and is a public school.
would you be able to say which school? is it a school from like a disavdantanges area, or is it a school in a normal place, that has bad luck?

if you dont wish to say the schools name could you plz provide us with the 1st letter or something o private message me
thanks

and hope stuff turns out okay for youy

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Buy yourself a monkey.

Worked for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)