help with analysing (1 Viewer)

kylieschuller

HSC
The Man From Snowy River HELLO
well im doing the poem "the man from snowy river" by AB Patterson for one of my supplementary texts and i was wondering if anyone wanted to tell me where i could find some (analysis like) information on it... or anyone who cares to share any...
Thanks for the help

azziebess123456

HSC
Have you checked sparknotes or biblomania? They're usually good. Or type it into goggle and put "critical analysis"

emca

HSC
can I suggest something really simple. Analyse the bloody thing yourself. This is good advice for two reasons. It is practice for the first section of paper 1 where you have to deconstruct texts previously unseen by you and secondly it helps you learn the techniques in the poem and really understand it. I'll get you started. I only know the first few lines of the poem by heart.

So, "there was movement at the station for word had passed around" establishes an atmosphere of anticipation of a journey about to commence. The word station establishes the setting as rural Australia, if it was American it would be a ranch and English it would be the farm. It is a narrative poem so it tells a story of the journey from beginning to end.

"the colt from old regret had got away, he was worth 1000 pounds" is descriptive language and establishes the motivation for the journey. I don't really understand the name "old regret" it appears to be symbolic "old regret" I'm guessing is the colts mother or it might be the name of the station, but either way it is suggesting the emotive sense of regret that the horse had got away, but I'm not certain because I have only ever read the poem never really analysed it.

Sit down with a coffee (or beer, what ever works for you) a list of poetic techniques and a pencil and start jotting down the techniques used and the effect. it is not that hard and it really is good practice for paper 1 section 1.

Once you've made some notes put them on this site and others will scrutinize them as will I. I will see if I can find the poem so I can be of more assistance as I have not read it in years. But I think it is a great peice of related material.

good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)