Help with Mathematics problem! (1 Viewer)

Cryptical

HSC
I need help with this question I was given:

A class went on two trips. Every student in the class attended at least one of the two trips.

In each trip, no more than 2/5 of the class were boys. Prove that no more than 4/7 of the class are boys.

Thanks.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

A class went on two trips. Every student in the class attended at least one of the two trips.

In each trip, no more than 2/5 of the class were boys. Prove that 4/7 of the class are boys.

Thanks.
A class with for example no boys and only girls would satisfy the hypotheses of the question but not the conclusion.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I think can assume that the number of boys is non zero
Even if there's just 1 boy and 9 girls say, the hypotheses can be satisfied but the conclusion not. In general if there's an upper bound on the proportion of boys in each trip, we could just have arbitrarily small proportion of boys in each trip and get an overall arbitrarily small proportion of boys in the class. Is there a typo in the question? Was it meant to be an upper bound on the proportion of girls per trip instead (equivalently, a lower bound on the proportion of boys)?

Cryptical

HSC
I made a mistake in the question; I have edited it so that it is "no more than 4/7"

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

In each trip, no more than 2/5 of the class were boys. Prove that no more than 4/7 of the class are boys.

Thanks.
I made a mistake in the question; I have edited it so that it is "no more than 4/7"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)