HELP with Subject Selection (URGENT) (1 Viewer)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,
Heard business studies was a very poor scaling subject and I spoke to my tutor about it and he recommend that I abstain from it.
https://www.matrix.edu.au/all-about-atar-scaling/
That's what he showed me, and I'm now reconsidering or should I completely disregard the poor scaling? Possible replacements for it could be Physics, Modern or Legal but I'm not sure.. thoughts?
Honestly if you're aiming for 97+ I don't think doing business is gonna bring down ur atar. Aside from scaling you have to consider the difficulty of the subject as well as your interest and ability in it, because getting a band 6 is much easier in business than it is in physics I would say, because a lot of people choose subjects just based on scaling and later end up regretting it, but if u actually enjoy physics and are good at it, I would choose that over business

zdf

HSC
Honestly if you're aiming for 97+ I don't think doing business is gonna bring down ur atar. Aside from scaling you have to consider the difficulty of the subject as well as your interest and ability in it, because getting a band 6 is much easier in business than it is in physics I would say, because a lot of people choose subjects just based on scaling and later end up regretting it, but if u actually enjoy physics and are good at it, I would choose that over business
I've never really been a big science person, more of a humanities. Just wondering whether I should be open to going for sciences and trying it because of its better scaling

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I've never really been a big science person, more of a humanities. Just wondering whether I should be open to going for sciences and trying it because of its better scaling
There are benefits to taking subjects with better scaling but still there are plenty of people who take humanity subjects and get high atars

zdf

HSC
There are benefits to taking subjects with better scaling but still there are plenty of people who take humanity subjects and get high atars
What is considered a high atar? 95+?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
It's really up to you what subjects you choose as you will still have to perform well in any of the subjects for a good atar but I wouldn't be so tied down by choosing subjects just based on scaling. It should be a factor you consider but not the most important one

Last edited:

zdf

HSC
I've seen people with 99+ atars before who had humanity subjects
What subject combination did they have?
Also, do you think Chemistry and Physics is something hard to learn/understand for someone who doesn't like but doesn't hate science? Would it be any harder to learn than humanities

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
What subject combination did they have?
Also, do you think Chemistry and Physics is something hard to learn/understand for someone who doesn't like but doesn't hate science? Would it be any harder to learn than humanities
In my year had a friend who did sor (48), eco (95), legal(95), math 2 unit(94), eng adv(94), software(96), he got 99.2,previous year someone in my school did eng(90), Eco(94), business(95), ext eng(45), math 2 unit(90), sor(50), legal studies(94) got 98.95

It is possible with effort. The thing is science you have to be able to do calculations and understand the principles behind why something is happening which is a skill, but at the same time being able to write essays like u have to in humanities is also a skill that really depends on the person

Last edited:

zdf

HSC
Is it true I'd have to do REALLY well in my humanities (apparently 90 won't cut it) if I want to get a 97+ atar. Thinking adv eng, ext math, physics, Eco, business, legal. And at Sydney Boys (if I make it in): ext eng (compulsory for y11), ext math, Eco, business, physics or maybe legal

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
Is it true I'd have to do REALLY well in my humanities (apparently 90 won't cut it) if I want to get a 97+ atar. Thinking adv eng, ext math, physics, Eco, business, legal. And at Sydney Boys (if I make it in): ext eng (compulsory for y11), ext math, Eco, business, physics or maybe legal
Just do whatever subjects you feel comfortable with. As said you can get 99+ ATAR with any subject combination and yes you'd have to do well in humanities. Chuck in some marks in an ATAR calculator and then you'll know what you really need to aim for

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)