Help with the explaination of a dot point (1 Viewer)

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
Hey,

Could you guys help me to 'identify Einstein's contribution to quantum theory and its relation to black body radiation'?

I know Einstein's contribution (sort of) but im not too clear as to how it relates to black body radiation.

MY GUESS: It relates to black body radiation as the wavelength of radiation decreases (thus higher frequency), the greater the energy radiated by the body. This is because of one of the assumptions Einstein made from Planck's work (the amount of energy carried by a photon is proportional to its frequency). :confused:

Thanks.

k02033

HSC
my guess: when you combine planck's hypothesis (quantisation of the energies of the oscillators in the BB) and Einstein's intrepretation of light for PE effect (particle model of light) we can explain BB radiation curve as follows:

1. Energy of oscillators in the black body is quantised into quantum states, each with energy E=0hf, hf, 2hf....
2. Oscillators emit a photon with E=hf when the oscillator moves from the higher quantum state to a lower one.
3. For oscaillators oscillating with high frequency the quantum states are far apart hence changes in quantum states are less likely to occur, so high frenquency photon emitted are rare. Visa versa for oscillators with low frenquency.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)