HELP with the immigrant chronicle by peter skrzynecki question (1 Viewer)

sam bros

HSC
for our assessment we have to do a group speech/presentation where it is like a conversation. similar to the 'first tuesday book club'
it is based on two skrzynecki poems and one related material

the question is:

'a sense of belonging for an individual is constructed within their community and the broader world'
in a scripted presentation discuss how a persons identity is shaped by these connections with reference to two poems by skrzynecki and one related text

i wanted to choose migrant hostel and in the folk museum and for related i wanted to choose 'pursuit of happiness'

any ideas or thoughts on how to answer the question would be appreciated.

thanks

cheepy5

HSC
To help answer the question look how these connections can or cannot develop a sense of belonging. Try to contrast belonging and not belonging between texts if you can and try use synomys for the key words so you dont sound like you are repeating yourself (eg. connections - interactions, identity - sense of self ect)

I reckon the poem Feliks Skrzynecki would be a better fit for the question than In the Folk Museum, but thats up to you.
eg,
Feliks - negative interactions with the broader world (The clerk - did your father ever attempt to learn english?) leads to him becoming confined with in his own world, while his identity remains with Polish culture due to his interactions with his polish friends. His sense of belonging is constructed in his own garden.
Peter - Doesnt interact with his father's Polish friends thus lack of connection and hence belonging. New sense of belonging is constructed in his interaction/ connection to australia - leads to him to become distant to his polish heritage (forgot my first polish word).

Where the migrants in the Hostel have no interaction with the broader world due to the 'barrier at the main gate' (separation from society) and their separation from other migrants (Partitioned off at night), thus no sense of belonging is established. Contrast to their inherent/natural desire to belong (Nationalities sought each other out instinctively) but barriers (Memories of hunger and hate) again prevent connections within the hostel's 'community' thus no belonging.

If your related shows how connections can help form a sense of belonging, then it would be a good contrast to Skrzynecki's poems.

cheepy5

HSC
Wow i can't believe that i remember all that even thought its been a month since the HSC english paper...

Last edited:

sam bros

HSC
thanks cheepy5 for such a quick reply

i was thinking we have to talk about a individual
would it be better if we talked about peter or feliks?

Elijah22

HSC
I doesn't communicate with his dad's Enhance friends thus deficiency of relationship and hence that belong. New sense of that belong is designed in his interaction/ relationship to sydney - results in him to become far away to his polish heritage.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)