Help with USYD subject Selection (1 Viewer)

Fiest

HSC
Hi, I am a recently graduated year 12 student and just need some help with the process of selecting different subjects for a Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) degree at USYD. When I first preferenced the course, I thought that I would be able to do two majors (I was hoping Anatomy and Histology and Physiology) and 1 minor (I was hoping Genetics and Genomics), however upon actually looking at the degree core in the univeristy handbook, it seems to say that at least 12 of my units(?) have to be from Table A, which is purely mathematical subjects. I just wasn't sure if I was misunderstanding this, and if so, would someone mind explaining exactly what the requirements are for my degree, and what subjects I actually have the option to select - I would try and call the uni support, but they aren't operating for the next several days.

Much appreciated.

idkkdi

HSC
Hi, I am a recently graduated year 12 student and just need some help with the process of selecting different subjects for a Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) degree at USYD. When I first preferenced the course, I thought that I would be able to do two majors (I was hoping Anatomy and Histology and Physiology) and 1 minor (I was hoping Genetics and Genomics), however upon actually looking at the degree core in the univeristy handbook, it seems to say that at least 12 of my units(?) have to be from Table A, which is purely mathematical subjects. I just wasn't sure if I was misunderstanding this, and if so, would someone mind explaining exactly what the requirements are for my degree, and what subjects I actually have the option to select - I would try and call the uni support, but they aren't operating for the next several days.

Much appreciated.
find the handbook that sets out the degree reqs, and ye iirc 12 units of maths is mandatory for bsc unless you do something like agriculture?? When you get access to the usyd system for choosing your subjects, it will make it pretty clear in the system what you have to choose/can choose, and it will kinda restrict you from choosing wrong stuff

Fiest

HSC
Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 4.41.45 pm.png

Hi, thanks for the response - I'm still just a bit confused because on the enrolment page it only gives two options of subjects to study, which firstly doesn't make sense because all of the mathematics subjects listed on the degree core table I was referencing before are only 6 units, so both of my subjects would have to be maths, but secondly, the page itself seems to allow me to select Anatomy and Histology and Physiology, neither of which are amongst the mathematical subjects that I thought were mandatory. Would someone mind explaining this to me.

idkkdi

HSC
View attachment 41946

Hi, thanks for the response - I'm still just a bit confused because on the enrolment page it only gives two options of subjects to study, which firstly doesn't make sense because all of the mathematics subjects listed on the degree core table I was referencing before are only 6 units, so both of my subjects would have to be maths, but secondly, the page itself seems to allow me to select Anatomy and Histology and Physiology, neither of which are amongst the mathematical subjects that I thought were mandatory. Would someone mind explaining this to me.
those are majors, the maths courses are subjects. eg lets say hsc/ib was a major. you complete subjects to get that major. english is a compulsory subject for completing hsc.

Fiest

HSC
oh ok, thanks that makes sense, but how do I select those individual subjects in the enrolment process, would that be later on in the enrollment after I have selected my majors?

idkkdi

HSC
oh ok, thanks that makes sense, but how do I select those individual subjects in the enrolment process, would that be later on in the enrollment after I have selected my majors?
ye

Luukas.2

HSC
Bachelor of Science requires 12 cp of Maths in first year, 6 cp in Semester 1 and 6 cp in Semester 2.

Then, taking 12 cp of FY chemistry and 12 cp of FY biology would make sense... The bio is necessary for an Anatomy and Histology major (and chemistry is very useful there too) and chem is necessary for a Physiology major.

This leaves 12 cp at FY level to fit with the Dalyell requirements.

Fiest

HSC
Could anyone suggest which maths subjects to do for someone who is not overly interested, but reasonably capable in mathematics

Fiest

HSC
Bachelor of Science requires 12 cp of Maths in first year, 6 cp in Semester 1 and 6 cp in Semester 2.

Then, taking 12 cp of FY chemistry and 12 cp of FY biology would make sense... The bio is necessary for an Anatomy and Histology major (and chemistry is very useful there too) and chem is necessary for a Physiology major.

This leaves 12 cp at FY level to fit with the Dalyell requirements.
Thanks very much for this, this made it a lot easier to understand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)