Help Wth Interview at UOW! (1 Viewer)

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Ahh, honestly I don't think I went too good. I think I got the nice people, the chick with the American accent and the guy whose name I have forgotten already.
We were originally all in the room with the poetry professor explaining what was going to happen... he was the archetype of a poetry professer, from his slippers to his unbrushed hair and his habit of closing his eyes while he talked... I found it amusing.

I found the stuff I wrote when I was younger, that I had lost, but they weren't at all interested in it. They also didn't ask me to expand on a hypothetical storyline at all, which is kinda freaking me out, because it's making me think that maybe they didn't bother asking because they know definitely that they don't want me in the course.

Not to mention that they were like "You've achieved outstanding results... for STANDARD English" and kinda gave the impression that they wanted people who were doing Advanced.

They were really nice though. We talked about my favourite authors, and the guy had a big rant about how he's always meant to read Philip Pullman's works and the lady liked my shoes... hehe.

So I guess overall I'm not feeling too confident, especially as we were told that while about 80 people applied, only 30 will get in, which is a bit depressing.
But it was a good experience though. I got lost on campus trying to find the busstop, and I thought it was really nice there!
Not to mention that all the boys applying for the Creative Arts thing were gorgeous... but that's another story, LOL.

Uhm.. This is way long. Sorry.

Leanne

HSC
hey!
yeah i got those two ppl as well...and that poetry dude!!! i totally agree with the amusement factor!! i was so distracted by his body language...that i didnt really know what he was talking bout...mind u, he wasnt really talking about much- just rambling really!

dont worry about the hypothetical question, or lack of one, i dont think they asked everyone, probably only asked it if there was nothing else to ask...i dunno..I'm sure thats its got nothing to do with being in the course, i mean wat if they ask u and u come out wiv a really crappy answer?

did they really put the emphasis on STANDARD english? cos i'm sure they cant discriminate against standard ppl- it doesnt mean that their creative writing skills are any better or worse than advanced ppl!

btw- i was told there were 70 ppl applying and 30 posisitions- if that makes u feel any better!

and dont worry about getting lost, so did i- and that was just to simply get out of the creative arts building!!! lol!

jayk

hey, my interview is coming up for creative arts at wollongong, what sort of questions did they ask?? i got the interview for graphic design and new media.. how did people that had an interview for that course find the interview and the questions they asked?? im a bit nervous ay..hehehe thanks in advance

jayk

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Originally posted by jayk
hey, my interview is coming up for creative arts at wollongong, what sort of questions did they ask?? i got the interview for graphic design and new media.. how did people that had an interview for that course find the interview and the questions they asked?? im a bit nervous ay..hehehe thanks in advance

jayk
I went to a Creative Writing interview so they probably won't ask exactly the same questions, but they asked me about my favourite author (so they'd probably ask about your favourite artist) and why I liked them, what styles I liked best, stuff like that.

I don't know if what I've said is any help at all, but good luck!

Leanne

HSC
hey glitter burns...

my friend who did a visual arts interview got an early entry letter in the mail! i'm soo happy for her- but do u reckon they do that for creative writing ppl too? cos i haven't got anything and i'm starting to worry.........

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
wow, this is the first i've heard of wollongong giving early entry for B cr arts.
i haven't got one either :S

i thought we had to wait until mid january to find out?

Leanne

HSC
i went to the wollongong website..apparently, if u put a wollongong course as ur first preference ur automatically eligiable for an early entry...so i've moved the course up as my first preference!!

MiKeY

HSC
Originally posted by Leanne
i went to the wollongong website..apparently, if u put a wollongong course as ur first preference ur automatically eligiable for an early entry...
Whoa. Where did you read that exactly?

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Really? I had it as my first preference until like a week or two ago when I recieved early entrance to UNE, and I never heard of it, or recieved anything from em about it.

Leanne

HSC
Mikey- i just went to the wollongong university website...and looked up early entry schemes...

and btw- i think i interpreted it correctly!

jayk

hey - did you all get the offer letter for creative arts??... do they give those letters to everyone or just the people who went well in the interview??

superboobies!

i heard (from a big mouthed UoW birdie) that only 50 people got first round offers for creative writing although there were 500 applicants. ha, i have connections.

jayk

ohhh serious...so only 50 people who applied for creative writing got those offer letters??....From your connection could you find out how many people got selected for grapic design and new media?? :)

Last edited:

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Originally posted by superboobies!
i heard (from a big mouthed UoW birdie) that only 50 people got first round offers for creative writing although there were 500 applicants. ha, i have connections.
Really? 500?
While I was there at the interview I was told by one of the interviewers that about 75 people had applied and 30 would be getting in...

jayk

hmmmmmmmmm me detects an unreliable source here...hehehe.. i heard the same thing as glitter burns when we had the breifing for the interview

Last edited:

Leanne

HSC
i didnt get in.............:( well i got a letter saying i was unsuccessful- but do i still have a chance in the main round- or would that mean i totally didnt make it?

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
:( Really?
I haven't recieved anything from them... maybe tomorrow.
Hm, that's a good question. Maybe ring or email the university and ask? Because I'd really like to know too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)