• drop

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • dont drop

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fjnpenguin

HSC
I want to know if i should drop from 2unit maths to general maths. I am struggling atm n I think its cause im over committed. i also wanted to know the prerequisites for Accounting at uni and the uai for any uni in syd if possible. thxx

* I have until Monday to tell the teacher

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fjnpenguin said:
I want to know if i should drop from 2unit maths to genral maths. I am struggling atm n i think its cause im over committed. i also wanted to know the prerequisites for Accounting at uni and the uai for any uni in syd if possible. thxx
You have not outlined your results & ranks. At this stage, I cannot say whether you would be better off dropping or not.

By the way, Commerce Degree in USYD is about 94-95 and I suggest you do Mathematics (i.e. Advanced) as there are many mathematical calculations to be done in that accounting field.

However, you should follow your mind rather than brain.

EDIT: Bridging course exists for students to catch up works that are necessary. But why do it later when you can do it now? And I doubt you will consider that Bridging course if you already know that Mathematics is not a subject for you.

Last edited:

fjnpenguin

HSC
i got 70% in the first test. havent done the 1/2 yearlies yet. im ranked 16/28. im not in a selective skool so yea the marks ranged from 8% to 96%

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fjnpenguin said:
i got 70% in the first test. havent done the 1/2 yearlies yet
I guess 70% is decent. But I can see that the exam was not a difficult one as your rank suggests. I think you should only 'consider' General Mathematics at this stage. You still have few days to think. So, my suggestion is - have a look at General Mathematics topics and then decide whether you should do it or not.

fjnpenguin

HSC
yea I got the general text book with me today so i can go through a few exercises.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I suggest not dropping it. If you need a good UAI and Advanced Maths is a prerequisite for what you are looking at its probably best you stick to it.
Are you having trouble with understanding the work or did you make calculation errors in the exam eg silly mistakes?

I have looked at the General textbook for Maths in focus and it is a fairly large drop from Advanced, it is your personal decision, I hope you make the right one. Good Luck :)

fjnpenguin

HSC
Sarah182 said:
I suggest not dropping it. If you need a good UAI and Advanced Maths is a prerequisite for what you are looking at its probably best you stick to it.
Are you having trouble with understanding the work or did you make calculation errors in the exam eg silly mistakes?

I have looked at the General textbook for Maths in focus and it is a fairly large drop from Advanced, it is your personal decision, I hope you make the right one. Good Luck :)
i have some trouble understanding the work and i also make a lot of silly errors both in exams and h/w. im stupid:angry:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
fjnpenguin said:
i have some trouble understanding the work and i also make a lot of silly errors both in exams and h/w. im stupid:angry:
solution is practice

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
I find that General maths isnt worth doing, you basically revise on the things you did for the last 2 years.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
sikhman said:
this might be a bit ambitious but remember that 100 in any subject is scaled to 100 (i think)....so if you're incredibly good at maths, you can get 100 in general without as much work (supposedly)
you have to be incredibly careful as well

rosypink

HSC
hmmm in my opinion i think u should stick with advanced maths seeing that ur only going to be doing it for 3 terms,and u dont have long to go so u can drop it when u start yr 12 but if ur really struggling (which by the looks of it u dont seem that bad) then go to general maths which i heard is soo easy - (plus dw about ur marks to much this yr, its not like its going to ur HSC or anything).

see in my situation im doing ext maths, but as soon as yr 12 hits im going to drop it and just stick with advanced maths =] so by the end of this yr i'd have already finished the advanced course and will be all set for yr 12 :)
its so stressing doing ext maths now seeing that were learning at a really fast pace but hopefully all the work will pay off in yr 12 =]

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
this might be a bit ambitious but remember that 100 in any subject is scaled to 100 (i think)....so if you're incredibly good at maths, you can get 100 in general without as much work (supposedly)
Only about half of the entire subjects scale to 100. The top mark in General Mathematics was 98 last year and the top scaled mark was 45/50 = 90/100.

bored of sc

HSC
lyounamu said:
Only about half of the entire subjects scale to 100. The top mark in General Mathematics was 98 last year and the top scaled mark was 45/50 = 90/100.
what? how could the top scaled mark be 90% - that's way too low - that means like 0.0000000000000000000001% of the state get a band 6 - that doesn't seem right

bored of sc

HSC
Without Wings said:
Last year 4.09% of the 29 609 students who undertook general mathematics gained a band 6.
oh, now I am REALLY confused :confused:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
Last year 4.09% of the 29 609 students who undertook general mathematics gained a band 6.
I was talking about scaled mark. You are referring to aligned mark. You get Band * according to your aligned mark. Using aligned mark, the scaled mark is derived.

SOURCE: 2007 Scaling report.

Your source is probably from here: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2007_12_15230.php which is basically based on aligned mark rather than scaled mark.

Last edited:
HSC
yes i say drop it. its better to drop it now than later when the chances are you still find that youre struggling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)