Help!! (1 Viewer)

tRiXsTa

HSC
Did many of you past HSCee's do both Extension 2 English and the Society and Culture PIP? Cause i'm going to be doing both, i know what i'm doing for my PIP but i'm still thinking about EX2...am i stupid to do both? Any advise on how to juggle the two without leaving them to the last minute?
I'm allready freaking out that i don't know what to write about for Ex2!!! I also read somewhere that u cant combine what your doing in another HSC course into your Ex2 story...is this true? how are they even gonna know?

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
I didnt do society and culture but I did History Ext which I guess is similar in that we had to do a major project thing. I basically worked consistently on ext 2 english the whole way through the year and kinda rushed my history project off at the last minute, but I guess the key would be organisation. As for merging the ideas there was a thread similar to this http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=47573 the upshot being that I think the major works have to be quite different, you cant double dip as far as I know

HSC
N/A
I would sincerly advise against "merging" major works, because if it is found that you are basing too much of your research on your PIP work (or your MW looks like a PIP) then dire circumstances occur. My teacher was telling me once about how he found this MW that looked like a PIP, and the Journal was pretty scrappy, then he asked to see the student's logbook or something for Society and Culture...

As for juggling, I did that too with Textiles and Design. Like Katie, I worked consistently through the year on my EE2 major work, and don't worry, I didn't start "writing" until February or so. Textiles was another kettle of fish altogether :p

So long as you plan well, you'll be ok. On the plus side, your PIP will involve mostly writing, I gather, rather than sewing :p

EDIT: In order to clarify, there is no reason that you cannot be "influenced" or "inspired" by other subjects, but be careful that it ends up looking and working as a completely different subject. Don't get into a habit of cutting and stealing between subjects, because that is NAUGHTY and against the rules. :)

Last edited:

tRiXsTa

HSC
Thanks guys,
Yeah i do'nt think i'd be able to merge my PIP and EX2 story anyway...but at least now i know to keep completely away...
anyone have anythoughts on subject matter that may appear to have 'allready been done' ? Cause so many things seem to have allready been done...how can u come up with a completely original idea?

HSC
N/A
Don't ask me how, because I just sort of "did" :S

I think most people end up writing about something dear to them or close to their hearts. It doesn't matter what you write about almost, but HOW you write and. At the end of the day, there's no such thing as originality. Everything's been taken, but every story will always end up differently. I worried about the exact same thing as you this time last year.

Don't strive for originality if it means scrapping a heap of really good ideas you feel strongly about. Whatever you write will be unique, because no-one thinks the same way you do.

Just write, dammit! lol.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I wouldn't advise trying to look for complete originality - because you'll end up in a tizz. Its good to look for things similar to what you are doing and read/view them and put them into your journal as literary references to your MW.

As for merging subjects - you can draw inspiration for one from the other or you can do simultaneous research for one and the other, but i would avoid making either one too similar to the other, because as glitterfairy just said - if you get caught you'll be up shit creek without a paddle so to speak. By doing research in same subject areas for example, i was writing about elderly chinese people. I understood that the primary religion was Taoism, so I did the research on Taoism and simultaneously used the research for my Studies of Religion ISP. Or, for Frontline (in Advanced English) I used a few quotes from an article by Richard J Evans from Ext. History. Its a matter of keeping your eyes peeled to see what you can use where.

The important thing is consistency. I was in the unfortunate position where i had to witness someone from my class be non-certified for they're reflection statement. This was because they ignored their MW - they chopped and changed so much, wrote most of it the night before and it bore no resemblance to what was in the journal. - NOTATE EVERYTHING IN YOUR JOURNAL. start on your reflection statement about 3-4 weeks before the due date - my advice is start BEFORE trials.

Just remember though - EE2 is meant to be fun, so relax, go steady, use your MW as a relaxation tool and let it flow...

J

jhakka

tRiXsTa said:
Did many of you past HSCee's do both Extension 2 English and the Society and Culture PIP? Cause i'm going to be doing both, i know what i'm doing for my PIP but i'm still thinking about EX2...am i stupid to do both? Any advise on how to juggle the two without leaving them to the last minute?
I'm allready freaking out that i don't know what to write about for Ex2!!! I also read somewhere that u cant combine what your doing in another HSC course into your Ex2 story...is this true? how are they even gonna know?
I did both, and my PIP was done in the space of about three weeks. The PIP is so much easier than the Extension 2 project because it's based on facts/observations, etc. Don't stress too much over it, because they're two different types of work.

The PIP is about wording research and conclusions effectively, and is pretty much a long essay. Easy stuff. The Ext 2 Major Work is about continually rewording and reworking the same thing over and over. The information might be easier to come by, but it's more work to present.

Anyways, Ext 2 gets scaled higher than Society, so I suggest getting your PIP done as quickly as possible (which I didn't do) and then focusing mainly on your Ext 2 work. I'm not by any means saying you should neglect one for the other, but maybe you should focus on getting at least a draft done of one while only doing a bit for the other.

tRiXsTa

HSC
yeah i see what your saying...do you know what sort of marks you got for your pip and your extension 2 story? and can i ask what your pip was on?...i allready know what i'm doing so don't think i'll copy i'm just curious as to what sort of things were done this year for pips and short stories...so if anyone wants to share feel free!!!

HSC
N/A
ujuphleg said:
I was in the unfortunate position where i had to witness someone from my class be non-certified for they're reflection statement. This was because they ignored their MW - they chopped and changed so much, wrote most of it the night before and it bore no resemblance to what was in the journal. - NOTATE EVERYTHING IN YOUR JOURNAL. start on your reflection statement about 3-4 weeks before the due date - my advice is start BEFORE trials.

SCARED... omg omg omg that is an EE2 nightmare.

Personally I would recommend having full drafts of your MW and RS completed and able to be handed in before HSC Trials. Because there is ALWAYS going to be a huge rush finishing them off and POLISHING them till it shines - as well as doing any other major works you might have to be doing. You don't want to leave it to the last minute, because ugh, EE2 and every other major work fully does not work that way... except perhaps for Society And Culture PIP's :p

J

jhakka

tRiXsTa said:
yeah i see what your saying...do you know what sort of marks you got for your pip and your extension 2 story? and can i ask what your pip was on?...i allready know what i'm doing so don't think i'll copy i'm just curious as to what sort of things were done this year for pips and short stories...so if anyone wants to share feel free!!!
Marks haven't come back yet. They come with all the rest of our results.

Anyways, my PIP was about the Sex Pistols and how they are an indication of continuities and changes in popular culture over the last thirty or so years.

tRiXsTa

HSC
lol nice!! sounds quite interesting!! I'm pretty confident in mine.... i really doubt it would have been done before (even though i know everyone could do the same topic and they'd come out different) ... its gonna be on my religion...which i seriously doubt anyone would of heard of ...but just incase i won't mention it on here ...i hate to think the worst of people... but better to be safe then sorry i think..cause i've got no 'back up plan' is that a bad thing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)