helppp (1 Viewer)

banipal753

HSC
okay, here are my options, and im a little confused as to which would be best.

Considering i cannot enter combined law at usyd, would it be better to study combined law at uts for 5 years, or do commerce at usyd graduate then do graduate law at usyd taking 6 years? which looks like the better option?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
What about unsw and transferring in your 2nd year?

banipal753

HSC
i know haha, if unsw accept me then ill stick to unsw, its just as good for me. Im considering a scenario where unsw doesnt accept me and im stuck between bus/law uts or comm at usyd and grad llb at usyd

what u think?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
Why not unsw for your first year doing the non law part that you intend on doing later (e.g. science, arts, commerce) and then applying for an internal transfer at the end of first year so that you begin combined law in your 2nd year? They look at your UAI and first year results, so as long as you meet the requirements, you could be starting combined law in 2011, instead of having to look at things like graduate law.

EDIT: Oh and i forgot to mention, this pathway does not take longer. You graduate at the same time as those who enter combined law straight from the hsc.

Last edited:

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I'd go for UTS, you can always transfer from uts to usyd 2nd yr, and avoiding the extra yr at uni. Even if you don't make it, if you are willing to work hard then it's a law degree all the same.
Then again doing grad will give you the benefit of doing a double major in commerce...so it maybe something you'd consider.

banipal753

HSC
Thanks guys, though what atar/1st year results would i need for a 2nd year transfer

oddish

beating off outside your window every day of the w
HSC
N/A
okay, here are my options, and im a little confused as to which would be best.

Considering i cannot enter combined law at usyd, would it be better to study combined law at uts for 5 years, or do commerce at usyd graduate then do graduate law at usyd taking 6 years? which looks like the better option?
lol owned

banipal753

HSC
okay so a transfer is now officially out of the question, what looks better in terms of doing a double degree at uts or 2 separates at usyd takin 1 year extra?

Domm

HSC
If you want to go to Sydney do grad law.

The big unis are moving towards JDs instead of 22 year old solicitors now and that's a good thing. Ride that wave. Sydney isn't doing that yet but give it a few years and they will be following Melbourne's lead I reckon. There's nothing wrong with UTS and for certain things you can combine law with they're very good (business and international studies for example). But if you want to go to Sydney then you can with grad law much more easily than a transfer.

You might find that you don't like law after a while and I think that it's not great as a first degree because it's very reading and hard work intensive compared to other disciplines. This is not good for someone just out of school. As much as you will probably disagree I think it's true for most school leavers that you will you probably want to spend your late teenagehood drinking and having fun. For this I do not recommend law. You also benefit from the opportunity to hone your reading, writing and analytical skills while drinking yourself into a stupour by studying something less academically demanding first.

So in the end you end up at uni for one more year, it looks better and you get to go to the uni you want. Seems like a no brainer to me.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
id rather go to UWS, work very hard, get honours, then do a masters at USYD or ANU for a year.

that way i'd have a b.com, LLB honours, and a masters of law

banipal753

HSC
I think UNSW offers a JD, i was looking into that, and im a little interested now, and about UWS, ive rather got my sights set on usyd unsw and uts. Drinking and all that isnt a problem, though thanks both you guys for your advice, much appreciated.

Domm

HSC
Yea don't go to ANU. When push comes to shove the inescapable fact is that it's in Canberra. Sydney's a good uni and UTS aint too bad too.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Yea don't go to ANU. When push comes to shove the inescapable fact is that it's in Canberra. Sydney's a good uni and UTS aint too bad too.
i'd rather live in canberra than sydney.

and i'm from sydney.

i mean, sydney is a great place to live, but all in all, with all things considered, it's going downhill.

ANU is australia's top uni, and ranked 16th worldwide
so i'd probably get my masters of laws from there.
but if i can't support myself in canberra, then i'd just go locally to USYD

Domm

HSC
I cannot stand Canberra. I mean each to his own of course but the jobs, the lifestyle, the excitement, the prestige, it's all in Sydney. And when you're talking group of 8 unis I don't think anyone is going to look down on Usyd next to someone from ANU, especially not for law.

banipal753

HSC
ive considered ANU but im just not willing to relocate my entire life for ANU, maybe ill consider it for a masters 1 year long. Though i have researched a little about it and apparently its got one of the best international relations/law course in the country.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
yeah like if i wanted to just practice in australia i'd go for USYD.
but for international recognition, i'd say ANU is where it's at.

if you look at the melbourne law paper 2007 i think it was, (hugely biased towards melbourne though), ANU is first, then melbourne.

canberra isn't too bad.

the state with the lowest unemployment, lowest crime rates, most educated state... however 1 in 2 work for the government, so it's a bit of a weird place

banipal753

HSC
but for international recognition, i'd say ANU is where it's at.
ahh damn, why did u hav to say that :( haha now i wanna go there, but i just cant face the concept of relocating my whole life!

Domm

HSC
Well from my own experience (and I admit it's limited) of living overseas twice people have heard of Sydney Uni. Perhaps Melbourne as well though not as many people are familiar with the city itself.

Go to a pub in a student town in Asia or Europe and mention ANU. People will think it's an acronym for a sexually transmitted disease.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Well from my own experience (and I admit it's limited) of living overseas twice people have heard of Sydney Uni. Perhaps Melbourne as well though not as many people are familiar with the city itself.

Go to a pub in a student town in Asia or Europe and mention ANU. People will think it's an acronym for a sexually transmitted disease.
well makes sense, i mean, if you ask someone 'capital of australia?'
they'd think sydney because it's australia's most famous city.

if you said 'canberra' they'd think you were having a go at them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)