• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

High Scaling Subjects (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
i guess the subject u referring to is chemistry?
You saw my earlier post, yeah? Well, yes. I chose a wrong subject and I am getting the consequences of it (i.e. having to do all the assignments and studying for the up-coming exams & wasting my time on subject that I abominate)

But I am not entirely unhappy. I was going to drop something anyway. Now I am clear that I will drop it so... it doesn't hurt me that much. However, due to that subject, my time of Preliminary year seems more like a drag. Well, I told you - choose subjects that you are extremely confident with, otherwise you will regret it for the rest of your HSC life. (including Preliminary year)

Oh yeah, if you hate the subject next year, drop it and choose something else. Don't hesistate, otherwise, you will miss the whole chance of choosing subject that you may actually like. I recommend you to choose subjects based on (in order of importance):
  1. how much you like
  2. how good you are in regards to that subject
  3. how much work you are expected to do in that subject & how much work you are commited to put in
  4. class & teacher (trust me, it makes a HUGE difference)
  5. scaling
For example, I chose Business Studies because:
  1. I loved commerce especially contents of it relating to the business side of it.
  2. I was good at commerce.
  3. I was not commited to put in large amount of effort because I had other subjects to worry about. However, at the same time, I wanted to get good marks in it.
  4. The Business Studies teachers are awesome. (all of them, fortunately for me, saves my time for thinking)
  5. Scaling is low but I don't care. I didn't take this thing into account either.
Choose wisely and I hope you end up like this: :) :) :) :)

Aznmichael92

HSC
lyounamu said:
You saw my earlier post, yeah?
Um, no. It is in your signature. There is like an unhappy emoticon next to it :D

lyounamu said:
But I am not entirely unhappy. I was going to drop something anyway. Now I am clear that I will drop it so... it doesn't hurt me that much. However, due to that subject, my time of Preliminary year seems more like a drag. Well, I told you - choose subjects that you are extremely confident with, otherwise you will regret it for the rest of your HSC life. (including Preliminary year)

Oh yeah, if you hate the subject next year, drop it and choose something else. Don't hesistate, otherwise, you will miss the whole chance of choosing subject that you may actually like. I recommend you to choose subjects based on (in order of importance):
  1. how much you like
  2. how good you are in regards to that subject
  3. how much work you are expected to do in that subject & how much work you are commited to put in
  4. class & teacher (trust me, it makes a HUGE difference)
  5. scaling
Thanks for the advice, I will take it all into account. :D

hellohelllo

HSC
hey everybody i was just wandering could someone advise me on scaling
I would like to know if these sbjects will scla eme well and how well
Chemistry (2 units)
Physics (2 units)
Advanced English (2 units)
Extension English (1 unit)
Maths (3 unit)
Modern History (2 units)
Ancient History (2 units)
Also does history scale u alot?
I would greatly appreciate comments
N.B i do enjoy these subjects also

autumn-angel

HSC
can someone please tell me the subjects with the least assignments apart from maths?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
autumn-angel said:
can someone please tell me the subjects with the least assignments apart from maths?
LOL. It really depends. I think you rarely get assignments when you get into Year 11 or Year 12. So far I only had 2 assignments (one for English and the other one for Business Studies).

Aznmichael92

HSC
i am not sure if my year twelve have assignments more like assesments where they sit an exam. There are 3 of them and one trials then they do the HSC.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'd rather assignments as opposed to assessments, as there's really no stress involved with assessments. ;)

autumn-angel

HSC
michael1990 said:
VET subjects.
VET subjects sound kool
but i dont think they scale well
I wanna be a dentist...
but none of the bio stuff for me aswell

akrinis

HSC
michael1990 said:
VET subjects.
I was thinking of doing VET until I realised I had to do the work placement. I'd be missing out on too much work and won't have enough time to catch up on everything.

But don't let what I say discourage anyone from doing a VET course. I believe that if you sit the optional exam for the course, it will count towards your UAI.

autumn-angel

HSC
ok how does this sound...
I want to be a dentist
I dont need economics and all that commerce
I dislike biology at the moment and i am trying to aviod it as much as possible
so...

3 unit maths
Physics
Chemistry
Earth and Environmental Science
Advanced English
Geography maybe?? or studies of religion 1 or business studies... what do you think?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
I'd rather assignments as opposed to assessments, as there's really no stress involved with assessments. ;)
Aren't assignments considered as assessments?
Assessments can be considered as:
  1. Hand in tasks (assignment)
  2. Examination

Aznmichael92

HSC
Aplus said:
  2. Examination
yeah thats what i was thinking so i got kinda confused.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
  2. Examination
Not at our school. Assignments are things that you do at home. Assessments are timed tasks at school. Two distinctly different things.

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
guys stop worrying about scaling. of all the things u need to think about when u pick your subjects scaling is at the bottom of the list. think of it this way: if you pick a higher scaling subject over a lower one (even though u like the lower one and dislike the higher one), you're going to be spending two years in a subject you dont enjoy and that will be reflected in your marks. forget scaling.

Aznmichael92

HSC
this has always been a query in my mind.

Say I got 100 in Maths Extension 2 Before scaling (Doubt it will happen to me), what will happen then? I still get a scaled mark of 100 or does it get compensated in other subjects?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Aznmichael92 said:
this has always been a query in my mind.

Say I got 100 in Maths Extension 2 Before scaling (Doubt it will happen to me), what will happen then? I still get a scaled mark of 100 or does it get compensated in other subjects?
You will get the 100 scaled mark probably, and I don't think they can compensate it for other subjects.

Aznmichael92

HSC
the-derivative said:
You will get the 100 scaled mark probably, and I don't think they can compensate it for other subjects.
such a pitty then, a 100 raw mark is basically the same as a 99.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
such a pitty then, a 100 raw mark is basically the same as a 99.
You never get compensated for other subjects. But you are right, raw mark of 99% (instead of 99 since MX2 is out of 120), is probably the top mark in the state. I remember Samuel Gardam saying that he probably got 117 or 118 out of 120 in MX2 (he came first for MX2 in the state as an accelerant student).

I am hoping for over 100/120 when I do MX2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)