Historian quotes for division of the left wing? (1 Viewer)

JBowers

HSC
So I'm currently doing a few practice essays and I have compiled historian quotes to use for each argument. However, I'm having difficulties finding a quote discussing the division in the left wing between the SPD and KPD (even better if it illustrates it's impact on Hitler's accession to power), so any quotes you guys have gathered would be awesome. Thanks !

enoilgam

HSC
I dont have any quotes, but just keep in mind that you dont need them for every point - you dont need quotes at all.

JBowers

HSC
I try to have one for the introduction and no more than one for each argument, is this too much? Also, currently I integrate the quote into my argument like this {the impact of the Depression placed immense pressure on the existing weaknesses pertinent to the political, social and economic spectrum's of the Republic, and “its effects were poured into a cup already filled to the brim” [Jonge]}. Should I stick with this or take a historiographical standpoint? Thanks again :D.

enoilgam

HSC
I try to have one for the introduction and no more than one for each argument, is this too much? Also, currently I integrate the quote into my argument like this {the impact of the Depression placed immense pressure on the existing weaknesses pertinent to the political, social and economic spectrum's of the Republic, and “its effects were poured into a cup already filled to the brim” [Jonge]}. Should I stick with this or take a historiographical standpoint? Thanks again :D.
Quotes are meant to support your answer and argument, so that is fine.

This is from my essay guide on Modern:

Historiography

Historiography is often poorly understood by most students and it is often not used properly or effectively. This has been noted on multiple occasions in the Notes from the Modern History marking centre which are released yearly following the final HSC exams.

One of the main issues with this aspect of Modern essay writing is that many students often believe that historiography only includes quotes from historians. Whilst quotes are one aspect of historiography, it can also include the opinions of a specific historian, or a general viewpoint overall.

For example, a statement such as “Many historians believe that Speer lied at Nuremburg and had far more knowledge of Nazi war crimes than what he stated in his testimony” is an example of historiography.

Another key issue with historiography is that students often use it ineffectively to the point where it becomes counterproductive. People often overload their essays with pointless quotes, which reduces the quality and effectiveness of their essays. Remember, if your essay is a pastiche of quotes, then you aren’t providing the markers with your own analysis.

Within any essay, historiography should primarily be used to SUPPORT your answer and analysis. As my modern teacher told us, one strong quote backing up your analysis is worth more than five just thrown into a paragraph.

JBowers

HSC
Thanks a ton man, appreciate it! I'll check out those essay guides too :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)