Historians!? (1 Viewer)

dani86

OMG this is the first time I've been in the AH section and I'm pannicking... Do we need to know THAT MANY SOURCES??
You have all mentioned so many ancient and modern historians.. What should I do? How do I incorporate their writings into my exam? What's the best way to kill myself? :vcross:
Grrr... stupid ancient teacher..
How many historians should we write about per paragraph/point?
My topics are:
Personalities: Hatshepsut
Societies: Old Kingdom Egypt, Sparta
Historical Period: New Kingdom Egypt

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
ok, relax! stressing isn't going to get you anywhere :)

My suggestion is to read through all your notes and pick out the really good quotes from Ancient and Modern sources that are going to validate your argument. Like, u cannot just say, "Hatshepsut was a great queen/pharaoh"...as any tom, dick or harry can make that claim. So what u do is say, "Hatshepsut was a great queen as she ........(whatever she accomplished)..... (Modern historian) believes this is also so, (and provide quote from historian)"

does that make sense? lol

or you could say, "According to ......(modern of ancient source)" I actually don't remember much of my Egypt work, coz I'm not doiong it for my exam, so I can't pull out any sources for u. lol I hope u catch my drift though.

I don't really know how many quotes u should have. My suggestion is to go thru the syllabus points and for the short ones have about 2-5 quotes per dot point, but for the long ones (like the historical period, where u have to write an essay), know a good 10 quotes i guess :)

Edit: I just missed one of ur questions: there's no limit as to how many historian quotes u should have in a paragraph. it all depends on what ur trying to say...but 1-2 per paragraph is plenty.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Ok, you can't get a band 6 unless you specifically refer to sources, but remember that this doesn't just mean spouting off a few quotes. You do have to have quotes, but referring to primary sources is just as important - so when you mention the Speos Artemidos temple and Deir el-Bahri for Hatshepsut you are referring to sources. Eg. 'As Chapelle Rouge block 287 reveals, Hatshepsut reinforced her right to the throne by claiming that a ceremony was held to announce her sacdred right to rule, which she later recorded for posterity in the Chapelle Rouge walls. However, as Tyldesley points out, we have no firm evidence that this ceremony actually occured.'

For Hatshepsut, have you read Joyce Tyldesley's "Hatshepsut"? It's really good and she uses a lot of quotes so you can go through and summarise the opinions of the other historians she cites. She's also got good stuff on some of the new kingdom info, including primary sources like Ahmose son of Ebana.

At this late stage, the best thing to do is probably not trying to read all of Thucydides or anything like that, but choose a solid text book and go through and make note of all the quotes that are mentioned. That way, in your essay you can make it look like you've done really wide reading when actually you're just using quotes from different historians mentioned in one or two text books.

Good luck!

dani86

But that's my problem! I can't quote any modern historians because:
(a) I have a really bad memory and if I do memorise something, it gets jumbled up in exams
(b) My teacher didn't tell us about all this stuff.. The only sources I know are from text books, and they don't have many direct quotes.
Do you know which main historians I should quote? I looked through all these threads and there's heaps of them, but I'm not sure which are the best ones to quote, I've never heard of Bradley, many people don't seem to like Callender, and the others (Robins, Wilson) don't seem to be mentioned much. I don't have time to read their work! How should I go about learning the best thing?

EDIT: What's the Chapelle Rouge? Where is it?

Last edited:

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Breasted, Tyldesley, and Gardiner are good to use.

Don't quote Bradley. She ain't a historian :p lol Well all i know is dont quote her in an exam.

Historians

go there ^^ there's quite a few historians people have posted up. just head down to the library and spend a few hours getting some important quotes. but darl, i'm pretty sure ur texts book should have quotes in them. :)

oh and also....um, to remember stuff, the best way for me is to write out the quotes heaps of times...in the end they stick in ur brain :p

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
just remember like 2 or 3 historians for each subject and quote from them.
If you can't remember quotes just parapphrase, but it does look good to have some actual quotes in there

Plebeian

Apart from what everyone has said,

It is also possible to score full marks for all the Society questions EXCEPT THE LAST ONE (part e, worth 10 marks) without referring to sources. That said, you don't know which topic question (e) will be about, so knowing a few sources for each topic is probably best.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
i can help u out with sparta

ancient

- Xenophon
- Herodotus
- Thucyididies
- Plutarch
- Arustiogabes
- Plato
- Aristotile

Poets

- Alcmon
- Tyretaeus
- Terponder

Modern

- Bury and Meiggs
- Myron
- Pollux
- Cartledge
- Hooker

u should also find archelogoical evidence - i.e. the pot found in the camber of the Celtic Princess at Vix

if u go to the CSU website - http://www.hsc.csu.edu.au/ - they have a section on sparta which looks at the reliabilyt and content of ancient historians in regards to sparta - it is quiet good to know cause the question could be related to this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)