History and Memory: I don't have any idea where to go with this. (1 Viewer)

albeitunique

HSC
I don't know why I'm struggling so much with this assignment, but I am. It's due on thursday, I haven't started it cause I just don't know where to begin. We have a sub today for English so I can't ask my teacher- running out of time and getting stressed as.

The task description...

"Find and research two additional texts for the elective History and Memory. For each text you are to construct a detailed analysis. They must be presented as two separate pieces of writing.
How have two texts of your own choosing enabled you to further understand how a text represents History and Memory?"

I just... don't know how to start. And, I don't really get what I means by analysis... Like, looking for language and visual techniques...?
Can someone please help me out here? D:

I'm doing 'Mao's Last Dancer' [film] and a book which I think is called 'The man who thought his wife was a hat'. Our given text is 50th gate.

Aliyas

HSC
Basically, analysing something is picking it apart, looking at the techniques used and what the author is trying to say.

So, each analysis has to focus on the history and memory aspects. The Fiftieth Gate uses historical documents that Mark Baker has found (because he's an historian, he likes history) and this factual information is interspersed with the memories of his parents. Baker is trying to merge the memory and history together to gain a complete understanding of the past. So that's how The Fiftieth Gate represents history and memory. You have to do that with your related texts. Make a table: list the historical, true aspects of Mao's Last Dancer and then the memory and emotional, subjective aspects of the film and compare them. Do the same with the other text. That should provide a starting point.

albeitunique

HSC
Thanks Aliyas, I'll go from there. I'm currently defining history and memory.

Aliyas

HSC
Alright, good luck. If you need any more help, just say so :D

dr_frankenburge

HSC
N/A
Your teacher didnt fall pregnant did she? im stuck too!
Anyways I know it's last minute but hope this helps for some ideas: history and memory are closley related as history is created through an individual's or collaborative memory, thus affecting history as it has been constructed from memory (memory is subjective, bias, opionated). or the opposite of that which is history is official, non-personal and rational and uneffected by memory and memory only serves as a way to personally associate ones self with history not affect history itself.

laura674

HSC
hahaha my teacher fell pregnant :p
and i'm currently writing the essay on this module at the moment
my related text is "the prophet" by Khalil Gibran and the second one is "Incendies"
if anyone knows whether o not these are ok or relevant please let me know!

Kingportable

HSC
This is some of my ideas...
History and Memory encapsulate the representative tension between objectivity(history) and subjectivity(memory).
1) Memory is lest factual than History however its subjective representation allows it to represent truths that cannot be expressed through History.
2) History and Memory can both easily be influenced by biased perspective; they will essential argue an exposition and pose binary oppositions.
3) History cannot always be 100% objective and factual "you cannot can't represent something to its full extent as it happened."
4) Our approach to history and memory allow us to reach a personal outcome wether this is in mourning or in the notion of national security

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)