History Ext. Lectures at USyd today..? (1 Viewer)

zaqwerty

HSC
So, the History Ext. lectures at USyd. Did anyone go? What did you think?

Personally, I think the historiography one was alright for revision because I already knew everything he told us, the Post-Modernism one was awesome for a background to it all as I haven't learnt that aspect of Post-Modernism (although I would've liked it if it wasn't ALL the background to it), and then the JFK one was alright, but again, things I already knew.

(My favourite one was actually the Modern History one on the Home Front, I learnt a lot there that I didn't already know ... or maybe I'd just forgotten it all...)

iknowmyonion

HSC
i went to the ones on thursday and saturday.
my favourite of them all was Germany 1918-1933, and out of the saturday ones i like elizabeth I the best.
i don't know if anyone else did the ancient ones on saturday, but i didn't think they were that great, or maybe just the ones i went to?

zaqwerty

HSC
Well I don't do Ancient History, and I didn't talk to anyone who did, so I'm not sure about them.

By the way, you have an AWESOME username!

el gwapo

HSC
For the extension ones?... it wasn't in the sheets they handed out.. in fact the po-mo guy just gave out an excerpt from a po-mo book

They were quite interesting, in my opinion. My classmate, however, pointed out that the post-modernism one failed to connect to the syllabus, but since the bloke was covering new ground for me, I didn't notice it. Our ext hist class hasn't really completely covered the historiography part, most of us had pretty mediocre scores in our essay on that topic. Being from a public school, I take it all in. So 50 bucks well spent. Braving the rain and trackwork on Saturday was quite worth it

Dishonorable mention- Pacific Conflict (an shambles, people kept leaving during the lecture, and the bloke spent 20 minutes talking about exam preparations which IMO is utterly useless)

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

el gwapo said:
Dishonorable mention- Pacific Conflict (an shambles, people kept leaving during the lecture, and the bloke spent 20 minutes talking about exam preparations which IMO is utterly useless)
Ouch. The walk-out. The worst of all the academic criticisms - on par to the comedic heckle.

Then again, one of the Egyptology lecturers at uni told our class that she was once doing a speech on her research (quite controversial) and a guy stood up in the middle of her speech and yelled at her about how her findings were all wrong. =/

el gwapo

HSC
Actually, I don't know what's worse, the walk out or the lecture with 4 people in it. There was about 10 in the Saturday UN lecture... the bloke said "I expected 30"...

Jojo K

HSC
Ne1 feeling kind and wanna share what new things they learnt at Uni one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)