HISTORY HELP PLEASE- Australia in Vietnam War (1 Viewer)

broly_29

HSC
Could some1 PLZ give links or NOTES to Australia in the Vietnam War
1) Australia's respnze to the threat of communism in Asia after WWII
2) The impact of the war on
- Vietnam veterans and families
-Indo-chinese refugees
-Australian culture
- Australia's relations with Asia

PLZ HELP

THANX

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
broly_29 said:
Could some1 PLZ give links or NOTES to Australia in the Vietnam War
1) Australia's respnze to the threat of communism in Asia after WWII
-Indo-chinese refugees
-Australian culture
- Australia's relations with Asia

PLZ HELP

THANX
I never did much on vietnam, this is what i can remember
Australia became invovled in the vietnam war because of the feard domino effcet(as countries one by one became communist) of communism in south east asia. Also joines to aid america it was the the first time australia had become involved in a war with out britain it also symbolised that Australia was turning to america.

Australia suffered 429-500 Dead in Vietnam, Many returned service men weren't allowed to come back home in unifrom because of many incidents eg in queensland where 6 servicemen had been bashed. They did not recieve a welcome back parade till 1987 i think(this showed Australias . 47000 Defence force personel and conscripts[b/] served in vietnam.

As a result in the vietnam war australia had a mass influx on vietnamese refugees in the 70's-80's
http://www.awm.gov.au/atwar/vietnam.htm

Vietnam Veterans and Family effects:
These results showed that over 50 per cent of the Vietnam veterans children surveyed, suffered from many physical, psychological or psychiatric illnesses that were impacting on both their quality of life and their ability to work.

In the children:

Approximately 70 per cent have either psychiatric or psychological problems;
approximately 55 per cent have a physical illness;
approximately 5 per cent have been in a correctional facility;
approximately 15 per cent are either on disability pension or unemployment pension;
approximately 55 per cent have a deteriorating quality of life according to their parents;
approximately 15 per cent are accident prone; and
approximately 15 per cent have skeletal abnormalities.
In the grandchildren:

Approximately 30 per cent have physical illness;
approximately 30 per cent have behavioural problems; and
approximately 8 per cent have skeletal abnormalities

From: http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=155
Vietnam Vets: Post traumatic stress disorder: http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/garymcma/ptsd.htm
Australians thoughts/info on Vietnam: http://www.naa.gov.au/education/challenge/2004_winner.html

The Effect of the War on Australia

The war had a considerable effect on Australian society. The country had been divided on the issue of involvement and conscription. The unpopularity of the war had been one of the factors in bringing the Labor Party to power in 1972. It was also a factor in the vote being extended to 18 year olds.

The war had led to a huge refugee problem in Vietnam, and Australia accepted a large number of Vietnamese refugees as migrants. The growth in the anti-war feeling during the conflict meant that the combat troops did not have the same moral support given to soldiers in previous wars. Veterans did not receive the same recognition on their return home as soldiers in other wars and they did not receive a welcome home parade until 1987 for services to their country. This led to a feeling of bitterness among many of the returned soldiers.

Between 1965 and 1971 nearly 50,000 Australian troops were sent to Vietnam, of whom 520 were killed and over 2,000 were wounded.
http://www.eurekatimes.net/Australian Defence/vietnam.htm
I'll look type up some stuff this week if i find my notes.

Last edited:

tiong

HSC
I'm doing that now... I can't seem to find lots of information.... if anyone could help the both of us????

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
I found my notes about this, but not sure if that would answer your questions, it is about Vietnam War in general.

If you want it, let me know, I will scan my notes from two years ago. (It is around 15 pages on Vietnam War).

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I did the 2005 School Certificate for History and it usually focuses on Australian culture, aborigines and the period between 1930-1950 and oh yes you must talk about the Vietnam War and Communism ...

I didnt like History but I got a mark 80/100 just achieving band 5 ... errmm past papers from previous History SC is VERY useful ... trust me it helped ...

Riot09

HSC
Australia's respnze to the threat of communism in Asia after WWII

The impact of the Vietnam war was very destructive to many lives a statement that few would debate.particularly the lives of the Vietnam veterans and their families.Particularly many if not all Vietnam veterans came home to contempt and were simply ignored for their service,some were spat on,played pranks on and disrespected in so many ways.However the most destructive effects of the war was proberly on their physical,mental and social health,nearly 2,000 committed suicide,many parents got divorced and suffered from depression.many veterans had even more severe problems such as cancers due to the chemical agent orange,some were disabled and some just couldn’t adjust to civilian life

have fun

QnTiria

HSC
What the hell was on in march 2006 anyway?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)