Holy Day (1 Viewer)

jo_muffin

HSC
I'm doing holy day for costume and it's so hard to find anything on the play! So far ive got about 5 reviews and thats it. would anybody happen to know where i can find more about the play, in desperate need of help.

Thanx

jgirl<><

HSC
jo_muffin said:
I'm doing holy day for costume and it's so hard to find anything on the play! So far ive got about 5 reviews and thats it. would anybody happen to know where i can find more about the play, in desperate need of help.

Thanx
Its hard to find stuff on this play and especially on Andrew Bovell. I'm doing Holy Day for Promotion and Program

Gummy_bear

HSC
when i told my drama teacher that i was thinking about doing holy day for costume design, she gave me HEAPS of info and stuff, its too much to scan or type up, so i dont know how i could send it to you.
i do know that in one performance of it that aboriginal girl from the secret life of us was in it, so maybe if you looked up her 'official site' it would have a link?
if you can think of a way i can give you all the info ill glady give it to you. i even have a copy of the script!

tendays

ickle firstie
HSC
The woman's name is Deborah Mailman, for curiosities sake.
In my opinion, I don't think you really need reviews and things about it like that to do design. I have two or three reviews of the Judas kiss, and pasted in a poster from it for the sake of showing what kind of concepts have been shown in the past, but when you're trying to develop your own concept and understanding of the text, all you really need is the text and a medium of research. For research, print of things like background information, research of the area it's set and things like that. You don't need cliffnotes or reviews, but real information, as opposed to the opinion of some overpaid hack.

but that's just my opinion.

Charlie_88

im doing holy day for promotion and program as well.
im not having much luck finding things either.

tendays you're right that reviews and stuff doesnt help much, but when thats all you can find its kind of like take what you can get.

but i was wondering whether anyone knows of a link to somewhere that has past designs for promotion and program? someone told me they found some on the net. when i first started, i didnt want to see any other designs because i thought it would hinder my own design process. but im pretty much done now. at least with the design concept. i still have to write my media release, director's note and article. so yeh id be interested to see what other ones looked like if anyone knows of somewhere

tendays

ickle firstie
HSC
http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/exhibitions/index.html#onstage

happy hannakuh(sp) This part of the BOS website shows bits and pieces from 2003 OnStage onwards. Good Luck, and I hope what you found what you want.
Apologies if I sounded a little bit snippy before regarding reviews and such, I can see that it can be a help with understanding the text through someone elses perspective and for the sake of sheer evidence of research, but I still feel that in the scheme of things it may hinder you from creating your own original directorial concept.
I can see what you mean by having trouble finding things about it, though: I read it, but didn't consider actually doing it and can see where you're coming from, though I think the best approach is to research every single little idea you have or reference to something that sticks out in the play and put it all in and then take what you need afterwards, showing that you're taking from a broad range of sources. Through linking some concepts in the play to others you can find interesting ideas, too. For The Judas Kiss I'm using motives from Aubrey Beardsley's works, specifically his illustrations of "Salome" (Wilde wrote it) and the characatures of him in them. I thought of that while researching art of the time and what the other characters had done in their lives (Ross later wrote a book on Beardsley) This is made easier because they're real characters, but it's just those little tangnts you can go on that bring the best ideas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)