Homosexuality - Choice or No? Disorder or No? (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Is homosexuality a disorder? If not, do you believe that sexual orientation (and/or a predisposition towards homosexuality) is determined purely or primarily by genetics? Discuss.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
neo_o said:
Is homosexuality a disorder?
No, it's an effective for of natural selection. People are allowed to be fags as long as they can't breed.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asquithian said:
Well this is gonna be a fun old thread.
I'm a troll. Fortunately for me, the man hasn't made that an offence (as of yet). Damn, but I do so hate the hetero-normative patriarchy.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
jumb said:
No, it's an effective for of natural selection. People are allowed to be fags as long as they can't breed.
homosexuals have been around for a very long time.

technically they should be extinct by now?

and they're really not.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Biochemical composition of the brain which leads to a predisposition towards homosexuality.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
homosexuals have been around for a very long time.

technically they should be extinct by now?

and they're really not.
Yeah, I know, they've been around since before Caesar's time. They were probably around in the biblical times, otherwise they wouldn't have been spoken about in the bible.

Still, as long as they keep to themselves and quit making a fuss about it, I don't mind what they do.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Asquithian said:
Well this is gonna be a fun old thread.

I have the feeling that the answer to the question should be looked at holistically.

Some people may be gentically more likely more more disposed to being homosexual. However may not become homosexual because of the social mores of the day.

I tend to think sexuality is largely a social construction. Whether this means that heterosexuality can be learn is another thing. Maybe maybe not? If you are not physically predisposed to to being a certain sexuallity I GUESS you can learn and eventually believe a certain view to life.

Anyways I find the whole black and white view towards sexuality a bit of a misnomer. There are plenty of shades of heterosexuality...and truely those who have no understanding of homosexuality or homosexual feelings will not be able to understand the POV of a homosexual person.
jesus, can i rep you again?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
transcendent said:
Biochemical composition of the brain which leads to a predisposition towards homosexuality.
So it's a disorder then? I would assume that a genetic mutation that impacts upon the biochemical composition of the brain would be a disorder...

Last edited:

tempco

HSC
i find homosexuality disturbing.

as per topic, i say largely influenced by society.

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
nekkid said:
i find homosexuality disturbing.
i find it quite gorgeous :)

except i don't wanna know anything that happens behind closed doors. like any couple that i know of.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
At the very least a predisposition (I believe, and backed up by research) towards homosexuality from genetic influences in some people and natal conditions in some as well.

Mothers' genetic skew linked to gay sons
...Only 4% of the mothers without gay sons showed this skewing, compared with 14% of mothers with at least one gay son. Among mothers with two or more gay sons, the figure was 23%....
Survival of genetic homosexual traits explained
...Mothers of gay men produced an average of 2.7 babies compared with 2.3 born to mothers of straight men. And maternal aunts of gay men had 2.0 babies compared with 1.5 born to the maternal aunts of straight men.
Their findings also support earlier findings that when mothers have several sons, the younger ones are progressively more likely to be gay. This might be due to effects changes to the mother’s immune system with each son they carry.
But Camperio-Ciani calculates the contribution of this effect to male homosexuality at 7% at most. So together, he says, the “maternal” and “immune” effects only account for 21% of male homosexuality, leaving 79% of the causation still a mystery.
Also, although the human study is controversial
Homosexuality is biological, suggests gay sheep study
A study of gay sheep appears to confirm the controversial suggestion that there is a biological basis for sexual preference.

The work shows that rams that prefer male sexual partners had small but distinct differences in a part of the brain called the hypothalamus, when compared with rams that preferred to mate with ewes. ...

There are many studies in animals which indicates homosexual realtionships between them again supporting biological reasoning.

Also if you can get access to the Janurary 17, 2004 copy there is an article entitled: The in-crowd: same-sex relationships are not a biological dead end. They are a glue that helps hold many animal societies together, and a fatal flaw in one of Darwin's central ideas, argues evolutionary ecologist Joan Roughgarden. (Charles Darwin) Joan Roughgarden.

That is interesting.

Last edited:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
So it's a disorder then? I would assume that a genetic mutation that impacts upon the biochemical composition of the brains would be a disorder...
maybe due to the way the child was grown in the womb? I don't know the biochemical composition and I don't want to know. I'm happy as long as they keep to themselves.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Asquithian said:
I tend to think sexuality is largely a social construction. Whether this means that heterosexuality can be learn is another thing. Maybe maybe not? If you are not physically predisposed to to being a certain sexuallity I GUESS you can learn and eventually believe a certain view to life.
I have to agree here, if you bring up someone with them being totally ignorant to the idea of homosexuality, then it is near impossible that they will be a homosexual. For example, I've never heard of a gay amish.

I had something else to discuss, but now I forget. Damnit!

Asquithian said:
heteronormativity?

They are ok as long as they do not act gay. I know certain academics at unsw that would be greatly offended!
And so they should be.

Offtopic: just for a laugh i looked up that word, and it says

"No entry found for heteronormativity.

Did you mean To run mad after?"

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Asquithian said:
Even though physically and mechanically I can get off with another guy. Same applied for another female.
Although this is true, don't you think that our bodies were designed/evolved for the use of the missionary position? Isn't the idea of using other orifices a bit unnatural (ethically I mean)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)