Homosexuality in Australia (1 Viewer)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

malkin86

HSC
Regarding 'different attributes' - parents aren't the sole adult influences on their children's lives - there are extended family, teachers, friends' parents, community group leaders (such as the Guides and Scouts ;) ), children's sport coaches, etc. There's no reason why a child would be 'missing out' on 'different attributes' for role modelling.

Who's to say that there can't be really crappy hetero parents that give the wrong impression to their kids? We don't stop them from having kids...

X

xeuyrawp

Riqtay said:
I believe the reasons for gay marriages to be legalised such as "we are in a world of change" are not logical. By that token since we are all changing, why don't we allow people to marry animals?
Don't pretend you're using logic or attacking our arguments. We are not saying 'we are in a world of change', we are simply asking for equality among people. Animals are not people, last time I checked.

Homosexuality in my belief is going against the laws of nature.
Of which laws do you speak, because not only is homosexuality practiced in nature, but it can be seen in the earliest examples of protohistoric sexuality.

I don't hate homosexuals, just their actions.
That's silly, because you can't know someone is homosexual unless they act.

Same sex marriages has with it profound ramifications. These individuals may want to adopt kids (because they can't conceive naturally) and these children will live a life where they are degraded and jeered at.
But I thought we were living in a world of change? :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, children of fat parents, of ugly parents, of poor parents, of racially different parents, etc etc, have and will always be jeered at. You should be looking at more important issues than a child simply being teased -- things like suitability of a queer couple are far more imporant than the issue of being paid out at school.

Not to mention that, social acceptance as a reason for not doing something is a stupid and ignorant argument. Yes it is true that most new things are socially strange, but that's the beginning of most processes. Eventually, it will be accepted. Simply to say that it won't be accepted now is a silly and illogical thought.

It is not mentally healthy for a child to have same sex parents as they will be missing out on the different attributes of their parents to influence them (eg the warmheartedness of a mother and the firmness of a father).

It is not mentally healthy for a child to have same sex parents as they will be missing out on the different attributes of their parents to influence them (eg the warmheartedness of a mother and the firmness of a father).
Not only are you suggesting something without any proof, but you're also suggesting that a single parent is also incapable of raising a child. Considering 50% of Australian marriages end (with something like 40% of the broken marriages having children), you're making a big claim that nearly a quarter of Australians are brought up missing out on the different attributes of an undivorced marriage.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
(What I say may overlap with PwarYuex, but there is no harm in illogical and harmful contentions being quashed by more than one mind.)
Riqtay said:
I believe the reasons for gay marriages to be legalised such as "we are in a world of change" are not logical.
That is not the argument. The argument is that there is no reason for banning gay marriages.

The question that you must answer is this: why should gay marriages be illegal?
Riqtay said:
Homosexuality in my belief is going against the laws of nature.
Incorrect. Homosexuality has for a long time existed and continues to exist in the natural world, among animals.
Riqtay said:
I don't hate homosexuals, just their actions.
You condemn behaviour that they do not have a choice about. It is part of who they are.

It is like a gay person saying "I don't hate heterosexuals, just the fact that they are heterosexual." It makes no sense. A straight person cannot suddenly 'turn off' their straightness. These are natural attractions, not choices they make. Moreover, no harm comes from such behaviour anyway.

Riqtay said:
Same sex marriages has with it profound ramifications. These individuals may want to adopt kids (because they can't conceive naturally) and these children will live a life where they are degraded and jeered at.
Only be if people keep such attitudes. With education and rational thinking people will learn to accept homosexuality. Tolerance has already come a long way.
Riqtay said:
This is an argument without any material evidence. If you had conducted a proper and extensive psychological study on the wellbeing of children raised in such environments then you might have a leg to stand on. But as it rests currently, your contention is utter speculation.

To me it sounds like somewhat of a cliche that holds little substance in reality. But without proper research, I could not be certain.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I support same sex civil unions, and the defaulting of all future heterosexual marriages outside of a religious establishment to civil unions as well, although I am unsure on the issue of same sex adoption (although that'll probably change to being in favour some time in the future).

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Riqtay said:
I believe the reasons for gay marriages to be legalised such as "we are in a world of change" are not logical. By that token since we are all changing, why don't we allow people to marry animals?

Homosexuality in my belief is going against the laws of nature. I don't hate homosexuals, just their actions.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0722_040722_gayanimal.html

heres some people who actually study animals , who report of homosexuality in nature.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i have shared my emphatic views many times over, but here goes yet again...

just as secular society threw off many religious founded rules and regulations, so too must the unfounded ban on homosexual marriage.

its hypocritical of a society to be accepting of people from all walks of life. young and old, poor and rich, of all different creeds and colours, but yet so unrelentingly homophobic. it makes me angry.

X

xeuyrawp

SashatheMan said:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0722_040722_gayanimal.html

heres some people who actually study animals , who report of homosexuality in nature.
That's interesting. Apparently dolphins are the only animal that enjoy sex (possibly an urban legend, who knows), so it makes no sense for other animals to do it. I'm assuming that they don't feel love, or any other kind of attraction -- why would animals have queer sex?

Surely natural selection would have eliminated animals that spend most of the time having sex with the same gender...

Ooh, on that Darwinian point: It must be noted that natural selection encapsulates the animal to use technology; chimps using rocks to split open fruit, etc. Hence, gay people using technology (IVF for women, adoption for guys) is not against the laws of natural selection, really.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
AlleyCat said:
its hypocritical of a society to be accepting of people from all walks of life. young and old, poor and rich, of all different creeds and colours, but yet so unrelentingly homophobic. it makes me angry.
So where would that stop? Should we just accept anything?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
That's interesting. Apparently dolphins are the only animal that enjoy sex (possibly an urban legend, who knows), so it makes no sense for other animals to do it. I'm assuming that they don't feel love, or any other kind of attraction -- why would animals have queer sex?

Surely natural selection would have eliminated animals that spend most of the time having sex with the same gender...

Ooh, on that Darwinian point: It must be noted that natural selection encapsulates the animal to use technology; chimps using rocks to split open fruit, etc. Hence, gay people using technology (IVF for women, adoption for guys) is not against the laws of natural selection, really.
i dont think that dolphins hav e sex with the same parter. They are though to be the only animals ( apart from humans) to enjoy sex, but i tihnk they have sex with different dolphins.

i dont think anyone but apes used technology to help their natural selection. How does a shark use technology? it uses its size and its teeth to be high in the food chain.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
miss_b said:
So where would that stop? Should we just accept anything?
On a more serious note, so long as them living out their life doesn't hurt anyone else (ie there is no valid cultural excuse for rape or murder) they should be allowed to.

philly17

the fact is it totally disrespects the sanctity of marriage which is a holy precious union between man and wife. Besides from my strong religious views which most of you bitter people will knock, I believe that they should never be accepted legally, they know what they do isnt in the 'normal' lines of society therefore no they should never have any legal recognition for the things they do.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
The problem being is human shared use of technology destroys the natural selection process.

Especially shared use. Adoption goes against the idea if the child isn't related since you are spending resources while not giving your genetic structure a better chance at survival.

SashatheMan said:
i dont think anyone but apes used technology to help their natural selection. How does a shark use technology? it uses its size and its teeth to be high in the food chain.
Otters use tools, so do some dolphins off the WA coast a few species of birds do as well. It's fairly common.

Last edited:

Riqtay

Assistant Member
HSC
"Eventually, it will be accepted", is the argument that you put foreward PwarYuex. Well by this token, some day marriages with animals will some day be accepted. The mere fact of a collective group of people indulging in something doesn't make it correct.

God created Man and Woman for a reason. The reason is to satiate our sexual desires in the natural way and also to reproduce.

Imagine if everyone in the world became homosexual as everyone should "have the right to equal rights". The human species would cease to exist after a couple of generations.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Riqtay said:
"Eventually, it will be accepted", is the argument that you put foreward PwarYuex. Well by this token, some day marriages with animals will some day be accepted. The mere fact of a collective group of people indulging in something doesn't make it correct.
When animals can give consent with full knowledge of the activities they are undertaking then I will support marriages with animals.

God created Man and Woman for a reason. The reason is to satiate our sexual desires in the natural way and also to reproduce.

Imagine if everyone in the world became homosexual as everyone should "have the right to equal rights". The human species would cease to exist after a couple of generations.
Why would everyone become homosexual? Not all sheep become homosexual sheep even though they have no prejudice from other sheep (as far as I know :p).

God didn't create me, my parents fucked each other and I came into being as a collection of electrical impulses inside a body. If you wish to listen to some guys who are long dead and wrote bullshit stories that is up to you, but it doesn't mean that you should oppose fixing legislation that doesn't affect you.

ice_wind

HSC
its not natural...women and men were made for each other...to fuck and hav babies, u cant just change the natural cycle...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
ice_wind said:
its not natural...women and men were made for each other...to fuck and hav babies, u cant just change the natural cycle...
Can't just change the natural cycle, I mean life support and drugs are completly natural events. Listening to dead people on the other hand and reading stories about non-natural things isn't.

nedzelic

HSC
Gay Captain said:
Just so long as they keep well away from me,
god, typical homophobic view; you give heterosexuals a bad name

why on earth would 'they' be coming after you? do you think you are god's gift or something

Riqtay

Assistant Member
HSC
Ok lets assume for a second that God didn't create you, rather it was electrical impulses. My question is, then who created those electrical impulses?

Logic tells us that a creation (ie you) requires a creator. Your parents created you, but then who created the first humans?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)