Homosexuality in Australia (3 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

bshoc

HSC
N/A
crazyhomo said:
no, i'm agreeing that society shouldn't change. ever. there should be laws that prohibit social change, it is currently far too easy for radicals to pervert the foods we eat
Your sarcasm is pretty poor, I'm not saying that change doesen't happen, some change happens sometimes, but that does not mean that "change" equates to your narrow minded view of what is "progress" , or indeed that change = progress , to stay on topic were homosexuals better off before or during the reign of Hitler, or Islamic Iran?

Last edited:

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I didn't propose that there's a majority of leftists.... I also don't see how what you've stated deals with what you quoted.
Becuase you tried to imply that people exist somehow segragated from their religion in public life, thats not the case.

That statistic isn't important at all to the debate. Belief in religion != Dislike of homosexuals
What, thats like saying christianity != belief in Jesus

But if you look at statistics that actually measure people's views of gays, I think you'll find there's been great improvement.
Care to share? I've always seen the 70's era as the pinnacle of leftism, to my perception we're going back away from those kinds of values now, after rational people have witnessed their ramifications.

I'm quite aware that there is still alot of extreme homophobia out there, but I'd also point out that such extreme homophobia is really looked down upon by the majority of the community.
More that public opinion has been squelched by political correctness, I try not to be, but even I do it quite often.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
bshoc said:
Africans have always had the right to marry, wtf are you on about, even during the slave trade africans still married.
Should aboriginals be denied the right to vote because they disgust some people?

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
bshoc said:
I'm not saying that change doesen't happen, some change happens sometimes, but that does not mean that "change" equates to your narrow minded view of what is "progress"
why are you backtracking?
bshoc said:
I have a problem with changing society even the slightest to accomidate such people
you clearly don't believe society should change in order to help a minority. the majority of australians don't like hip hop, so why should our radiowaves be subjected to its crapness? surely you must agree? hip hop cannot be considered progress, it is a terrible genre, that only barely constitutes noise. homosexuality is an abomination that barely constitutes a human being. both hip hop and homosexuality are opposed by the majority. both should be outlawed

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Becuase you tried to imply that people exist somehow segragated from their religion in public life, thats not the case.
No I didn't.

No it's not, the view of homosexuals is quite a contentious issue in the modern church.

Care to share? I've always seen the 70's era as the pinnacle of leftism, to my perception we're going back away from those kinds of values now, after rational people have witnessed their ramifications.
Australian's back same-sex marriage.
http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/index.cfm/fuseaction/viewItem/itemID/10947

Australian's divided over Same-sex marriage
http://www9.sbs.com.au/theworldnews/region.php?id=86834&region=7

Also, it would appear that the defeat of same-sex marriage ammendments has little to do with americans not wishing gay couples to be recognised under the law and is more to do with the exact details of the specific ammendments (i.e. most don't support 'same-sex marriage' but do support 'civil unions'.

For example, here you can see the divide:

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/index.cfm/fuseaction/viewItem/itemID/12250 said:
27 per cent of respondents think gays and lesbians should be allowed to get married, up two points since May 2004.

In addition, 25 per cent of respondents would allow homosexual couples to enter into a legal partnership that should not be called marriage, and 39 per cent would offer no legal recognition to gay and lesbian relationships.
Americans Reject Gay Marriage, Back Civil Unions
http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/index.cfm/fuseaction/viewItem/itemID/12801

Americans Ponder Same-Sex Marriage, Civil Unions
http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/index.cfm/fuseaction/viewItem/itemID/13688

Recognize Gay Couples, Say 60% of Americans
http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/index.cfm/fuseaction/viewItem/itemID/13796

From Canada:

Same-Sex Marriage Issue Settled, Say Canadians
http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/index.cfm/fuseaction/viewItem/itemID/12288

Last edited:

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
bshoc said:
exactly. all religions in the entire world explicitly forbid homosexuality. and every religious person agrees with this stance
i agree. there is a trend back to the correct traditional values. i think miscegenation is coming back. so much terror has been caused by interracial marriage. we learned this lesson the hard way
More that public opinion has been squelched by political correctness, I try not to be, but even I do it quite often.
this is obviously true. anytime a poll suggests public opinion is homosexuality, that is because people are lying. when it shows homosexuality to wrong, that is when people tell the truth

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
No it's not, the view of homosexuals is quite a contentious issue in the modern church.
The church follows the bible correct?

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." Leviticus 20:13. "Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them." Romans 1:32.

Australian's back same-sex marriage.
If your were out to prove that polls of 1000 people are going to deviate by huge margins and be inconclusive, you've done it.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
crazyhomo said:

you clearly don't believe society should change in order to help a minority. the majority of australians don't like hip hop, so why should our radiowaves be subjected to its crapness? surely you must agree? hip hop cannot be considered progress, it is a terrible genre, that only barely constitutes noise. homosexuality is an abomination that barely constitutes a human being. both hip hop and homosexuality are opposed by the majority. both should be outlawed
Well no need for me to disrupt your flawless line of thinking that diet pepsi and rap CD's equate to religious beliefs and intangible human relationships.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." Leviticus 20:13. "Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them." Romans 1:32.
The bible says alot of things.

If your were out to prove that polls of 1000 people are going to deviate by huge margins and be inconclusive, you've done it.
But there's hundreds of polls from all modern western states, all basically showing the same trend... Is it just me or do you love using polling data when it suits you and dismiss all that don't?

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
bshoc said:
The church follows the bible correct?

Yes, if a man were to lie with a man with his penis in the other man's vagina then he will have committed an abomination, both against God and logic.
The bible also says to love thy neighbour. My neighbour happens to be male.

What's your point?

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
bshoc said:
Well no need for me to disrupt your flawless line of thinking that diet pepsi and rap CD's equate to religious beliefs and intangible human relationships.
what's the difference? if you are part of society, you should conform to the majority, no matter what the issue

"I have a problem with changing society even the slightest to accomidate such people"

the individual should adapt to society, not the other way round

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
bshoc said:
listen up, ntb, don't you understand that polls showing the majority accepting homosexuality are wrong? only the polls rejects homos are right. we covered this with political correctness

Se!zuRe.

HSC
crazyhomo said:

u have to be the most racist, discrimintive person ever.. ur comments have no relevance to this topic.. maybe u shuld do everyone a favour and go around compton and watts in america sharing ur hatred of rap music... in other words be shot by about 50 ppl within a matter of seconds.. wuldnt that be great.. xD

spell check

HSC
Se!zuRe. said:
u have to be the most racist, discrimintive person ever.. ur comments have no relevance to this topic.. maybe u shuld do everyone a favour and go around compton and watts in america sharing ur hatred of rap music... in other words be shot by about 50 ppl within a matter of seconds.. wuldnt that be great.. xD
ironically your comment that in suburbs with high african american populations he would be murdered by 50 people for disliking hiphop music is more racist than his obvious sarcasm

HSC
bshoc said:
Even though every vote against it has passed lol keep dreaming, its just a temporary phase.
wikipedia said:
In the late 1990s and early 2000s, opposing efforts to legalize or ban same-sex civil marriage made it a topic of debate all over the world. At present, same-sex marriages are recognized in Belgium, Canada, the Netherlands, Spain and the U.S. state of Massachusetts (for same-sex marriages performed within that state under its laws).
Civil unions, domestic partnerships or registered partnership offer varying amounts of the benefits of marriage, which are available in: Andorra, Argentina, Brazil, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Israel, Luxembourg, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Scotland, and the United Kingdom; Tasmania, and the U.S. states of California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, New Jersey, and Vermont; and the U.S. District of Columbia (Washington, DC).

The first same-sex union in modern history with government recognition was obtained in Denmark in 1989 (although historian John Boswell argues numerous same-sex unions existed in pre-modern Europe; however, his scholarship standards are subject to intense debate).[1] Scandinavian registered partnership is nearly equal to marriage, including legal adoption rights in Sweden, and since June, also in Iceland. However these partnerships are written separately from marriage in the existing laws, and are thus not called marriage except in daily speech.
wikipedia said:
Among the first laws on same-sex relations ca. 600 BC are those in ancient Crete and Sparta, which encouraged all adult men to engage in mentoring homoerotic friendships.
http://gaylife.about.com/b/a/200795.htm said:
California
California provides domestic partnership benefits. The state legislature successfully voted in favor of legal gay marriage in California, only to be vetoed by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. In March, 2005, a San Francisco judge ruled that the law banning same-sex marriage was unconstitutional.

Connecticut
Although Connecticut defines marriage as between a man and woman, it became the second U.S. state to grant same-sex civil unions in April, 2005.

Vermont
The first U.S. state to offer same-sex civil unions in 2000.
Only a matter of time bshoc.

gerhard

HSC
also ive heard that turnbull is trying to push howard for changes in superannuation/benefits/next of kin stuff which discriminates against homosexuals, since his new electorate is now one of the pinkest in australia.

yinyin

HSC
N/A
as long as the the lover is happy.
Without harming any they can do watever they like~

bshoc

HSC
N/A
ElendilPeredhil said:
Only a matter of time bshoc.
Before its repealed and banned like whats been done in the US right now? I wouldn't be so quick as to ally yourself with time, as you yourself pointed out they were a somewhat reality in 600BC .. so what happned to that? the greatest proportion of the generation that supports such things are before ours. But dont worry I'm sure with Wikipedia and gaylife.com on your side gay marriage will be a reality in no time LOL way to be pathetic - gay marriage, in my lifetime? keep dreaming.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
The bible says alot of things.
It seems pretty clear on things like that.

But there's hundreds of polls from all modern western states, all basically showing the same trend... Is it just me or do you love using polling data when it suits you and dismiss all that don't?
You're surely being selective in your poll "choices" as well, the only real poll we can have is a vote - that brings up an important point, will gay marriage ever be important enough as a referendum issue? No. Will the legislature realistically adress it? No, even Labor voted to ban gay marriages. It will be voted down in popular referendum and doesent even have the support of the centre-left party of Australia.

Last edited:

bshoc

HSC
N/A
crazyhomo said:
what's the difference? if you are part of society, you should conform to the majority, no matter what the issue

"I have a problem with changing society even the slightest to accomidate such people"

the individual should adapt to society, not the other way round
I'm not suggesting conformity, I'm suggesting people be realistic if they want to adress me, talking about gay marriage when it was banned again after being banned the first time isn't really productive, its not conformity, its the recognition of a verdict.

Not that conformity should be ruled out here either, murder laws, tax laws etc. these are all conformity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)