Homosexuality in Australia (1 Viewer)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Which is funny, because you will have intereaction with homosexuals and other people who don't fit your perfect little mould of life, you might not know it, you might, however, not all of it will be voluntary and it will be in your self interest to interact with them as you would anyone else.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
bshoc said:
Its simple actually - I don't like homosexuals and I consider their sexuality to be a personal choice.
  1. No one was 'asking' for interaction with your being, least of all any gay men.
  2. By granting same sex couples the right to adoption/marriage, your rights do not become any less than theirs. It would in fact give you the same rights as them which shouldn't be a problem with a fair minded individual.
  3. It is highly contested that homosexuality is a 'choice', as there are instances in the wild of other species engaging in same sex coupling and they arguably could not have 'chosen' in the way you seem to infer. There are also studies on siblings where identical twins (who share the same genetic make up) have a much higher rate of sharing the same sexuality (gay, bi, whatever) than other siblings - including adopted ones even if raised in a different enviroment to their twin, which indicates genetics may play a far larger role than previously imagined. Lastly, why would anyone willingly choose to be stigmatised by their community?

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
So today I had this amazing revelation, right, it was this:

Gay ppl already have the same rights as the rest of us!

ie. the right to marry someone of the opposite sex. So, I guess the parades and such can all go home now. Thank me later.

robo-andie

HSC
edit: ok, it wasn't. My bad.
It was the argument about homosexuals being disabled because they didn't want to have sex with the opposite sex. I suppose the way it was handled would be similar to the debate of 'Gays can get married, but only to the opposite sex".

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
So today I had this amazing revelation, right, it was this:

Gay ppl already have the same rights as the rest of us!

ie. the right to marry someone of the opposite sex. So, I guess the parades and such can all go home now. Thank me later.
That just means that the legislation is sexist and hence should be changed. It is sexist and unfair that a female can marry a male, but I cannot. Or that I can marry a female and a female cannot.

xoxo

HSC
well im 100% straight and i just think that if other pplz love other pplz whether its of the same sex or different sex they shood b allowed to do so. love is love really.

i dont have anything against gay/lesbian pplz as long as they dont try anything on me im fine

so yeh i think they shood b able to marry

HSC
N/A
so is the concept of race.

I saw some dudes making out last night. They were hot so it was hot. umm, yeah. Howard would never allow gays to marry as it would be a divergence from his current nuclear family mold ideal. Which in turn could have a domino affect on other left-wing issues coming to light and that just doesn't mix well with his conservative bs.

Vahl

HSC
xoxo said:
well im 100% straight and i just think that if other pplz love other pplz whether its of the same sex or different sex they shood b allowed to do so. love is love really.

i dont have anything against gay/lesbian pplz as long as they dont try anything on me im fine

so yeh i think they shood b able to marry
hmm yes, sex is such a small part of life. I really think that the important thing is that ppl care for one another and are happy and satisfied in their lives. Who cares how or why they achieve it, as long as it doesn't hurt other people.

oh and as for marriage, personally i think marriage itself is immoral, if people want to get married well hooray for them but i'd prefer it to be stripped of its legal significance and relegated to its rightful position as a religious oddity. If people want security, etc - make a contract. Its much more romantic, and you don't have to have any association with a religion :):p;)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Hmm....
Some people don't want to accept that Homosexuality has a negative effect on society.

I'm not saying Homosexuals are evil people, or deserve less rights then others. Most homosexuals are just regular people who want to live regular lives.
Anyone who uses the 'genetic' argument is an imbecile and knows nothing about science. Animals who engage in sexual activity are usually in captivity or deprived from their natural sexual cycle, and resort to it.

dora_18

HSC
Gay. It is not a dirty word.
thats right...its a freaking hot word:p

anyway...Ok...so it took a while to read through this thread from the very begining, and someone said at the begining that "these kinds of threads never die" they were right. Having said that, im glad that i got to this because the arrogance of some people is just amazing....some issues have been clarified, but one that i don't think people understand is this whole 'support of homosexuality in a contemporary society" where there seems to be a notion of many believing that there is an rapid and rather "spontaneous" growth of homosexuals..lol

I dont think that there are any more homosexuals today than there were 100 years ago, sure it was promoted culturally in some areas, but i dont think there was a universal decline....just because sociological influences attribute for a larger number of people to "come out" currently that doesn't mean that homosexuals didnt exist in similar numbers...

Consequently people seem to believe that there will be a drastic decline in the worlds population as all these people turn gay and dont have children...i will not press the issue of being able to have children as a result of other means apart from heterosexual activity....(because i think you can..and i dont think other methods of reproduction have any effect on WHY you're bringing a child into the world- who cares how they get here, isnt the most important part the concept of loving the child??and if two men or women can provide that...then so be it..)

but people seem to think that just becuase there is lots of gay contraversy and discussion..that suddently the whole world is going to turn out gay! they won't ! you can't force a person to have sexual relations with another person if they DO NOT WANT TO...

and i am so sick of these kinds of comments...
how homophoebic do you want to be...if you were in a bar and some chick hit on you ...WOULD YOU DIE? rhetorical question i know...but how do you avoid these kinds of situations anyway? wave a flag or shirt with " i am straight" on the front? ..its like rejecting a guy that you're not interested in...hes just not your type...no one is saying you have to "do" anything with them

anyway..that was a good rant...

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Some people don't want to accept that Homosexuality has a negative effect on society.
How does it? The big problems surrounding homosexuals so far would not have been if it were not for the people who hate them :)

On the contrary I think having a decent portion of society not producing any offspring (willingly) is quite a good thing for the world. We are growing too fast, we need more gays.

Anyone who uses the 'genetic' argument is an imbecile and knows nothing about science. Animals who engage in sexual activity are usually in captivity or deprived from their natural sexual cycle, and resort to it.
Yes they are usually captive... we can monitor captive animals much easier, so you see, it follows that most of the cases are from captive animals.

As for 'deprived from their natural sexual cycle', could you explain that further? Alot of animals in zoo's are being encouraged to breed, they would almost always have access to a female mate, so why does it happen?

X

xeuyrawp

Vahl3 said:
I really think that the important thing is that ppl care for one another and are happy and satisfied in their lives. Who cares how or why they achieve it, as long as it doesn't hurt other people.
oh and as for marriage, personally i think marriage itself is immoral
That really makes no sense:

1. Why should anyone care how x and y chose to love each other?
2. Marriage is immoral.

hmm yes, sex is such a small part of life. I really think that the important thing is that ppl care for one another and are happy and satisfied in their lives. Who cares how or why they achieve it, as long as it doesn't hurt other people.

oh and as for marriage, personally i think marriage itself is immoral, if people want to get married well hooray for them but i'd prefer it to be stripped of its legal significance and relegated to its rightful position as a religious oddity. If people want security, etc - make a contract. Its much more romantic, and you don't have to have any association with a religion :):p;)
If marriage was a religious oddity - why is it mentioned in most religions, and sanctioned in a specific way in most of those? You can't argue it's odd in relation to any one religion.

Similarly, it's addressed in most legal and cultural spheres, as well, so it's not only religious...

I also think you'd find that most marriages are a legal contract, and that most have an association with religion simply because religious figures obtain legal permission to marry people. Even a lot of Civil Celebrants in Australia chose to conduct marriages in accordance to a religion - despite their legal role being totally secular.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
dora_18 said:
how homophoebic do you want to be...if you were in a bar and some chick hit on you ...WOULD YOU DIE? rhetorical question i know...but how do you avoid these kinds of situations anyway? wave a flag or shirt with " i am straight" on the front? ..its like rejecting a guy that you're not interested in...hes just not your type...no one is saying you have to "do" anything with them

anyway..that was a good rant...
I hear the "...as long as they leave me alone" type of talk, but it hardly makes them homophobic. I know a fair few who don't take "I'm straight" for an answer and push it, in the same way I know several straight men who won't take "I'm not interested" for an answer. As far as I'm concerned they're all as bad as each other, any sort of unwanted sexual advances make anyone uncomfortable. And I think people forget that when they start on the "...as long as they leave me alone".

robo-andie

HSC
secret said:
Are you gay?

I don't care if they get married but they should't have a right to adopt children. If I had two fathers, I'd run away. ewwww at the thought of knowing that daddy is poking daddy in the closest *vomits*.
You wouldn't see it that way if you had two fathers and that's all you knew.

dora_18

HSC
i guess there is some contraversy over how other children at school would treat a person who had 2 dads or 2 mums...afterall children are evil things ....lol...
because it wouldn't pose a problem until the kid grew to an age where they are around other kids who grasp these concepts...but i think people make it out to be a bigger deal than it is...kids may be evil but they are also very resilient and adjustable to situations....
and afterall children discriminate because of the social values they are accustomed to, so once more homosexual couples start raising children...this subsides...

dora_18

HSC
ok so...from the first moment they were there for you, raising you, caring for you...and you think that suddenly at the age of "13+" ( and what made you think of the specific digit anyway) you would head off somewhere else and abandon them??.. if that is all that you knew for your entire life...when you had any problems you came to the only two people who were there for you 24/7 and then suddenly at the age of "13+" you just realise that.."omg being gay is BAD BAD BAD..seeya!!"

sorry its a hardcore fact, you relate and know only of what you are raised and used to..well especialy when you're a kid...you get used to that and if anything you promote those values...you certainly dont dispute against them and move on....its like someone now told you that the two parents that raised you( or whatever) is wrong.

so you WOULD tolerate it ,because you wouldn't know any different

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
secret said:
I don't care if they get married but they should't have a right to adopt children. If I had two fathers, I'd run away if i was @ a young age.
As much as i don't have an opinion about gays having children, or moreso, that my ideas are not well researched...

I find the idea of a child running away because he realises his parents are a gay couple totally absurd.

The fact that they would run away after raising him and all that they've done.

I mean, kids grow up and realise truths about their parents: they never married, or they werent married when they were pregnant with you, or mum had you because she went to a sperm bank...

oh no theyre out of the norm, but i don't think anything, including homosexuality could make a child in their right mind love their parents less. (and i say this not because of my stance on homosexuality, but the idea of a child halting love because of what their parents are.

secret said:
ewwww at the thought of knowing that daddy is poking daddy in the closest *vomits*.
I assume you mean closet. Quite specific arent you. Brushing off the knowledge that you do not approve of homosexual partners anyway, and to discuss that later, I do, however, feel the need to remind you that funnily enough, anal sex is not exclusive to gay couples...

Last edited:

dora_18

HSC
if anything, homsexual couples go to greater lengths to have children so youd think that their love for the child would be even greater...
i mean the only thing is finding a suitable person to carry the child for you, if you dont choose to adopt...surrogacy is very complicated...very few woman can carry a child for 9 months and give it up..

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
secret said:
I understand where you are coming from in what you are saying, despite this, if I had a basic knowledge that I had fathers that were sexually intimate and adopted me for what fucking ever reason they did @ the time. I would not like the situation and I would find shelter with family members else where.
But don't you understand, through basic knowledge, while looking at yourself and realising, you'd realise that they didn't do such a bad job raising you?

secret said:
That isn't a crime to not like the thought of having two fathers that fuck one another. Are you going to throw your "gay appraising" text @ me and say '"why is this so" and "why do you think this" because I dislike the thought of it?
Kids have parents who are prositutes, or turn gay long after their marriage, etc. ..or whatever other common values that parents go and break. I know that if, say, my mum was a prostitute (and lets pretend, for fun, she enjoyed it), I'd still love her a lot for raising me. Even if I don't agree with what she is doing at all, it wouldn't make me love her less for giving me the opportunity to live and grow up.... Get my train of thought here?

robo-andie

HSC
secret said:
I won't respect your opinion if you don't respect mine.
You don't have to agree with or like another persons opinion to respect it.
She is respecting your opinion by acknowledge what you are saying and questioning it. Not just telling you that you are wrong and leaving it at that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)