honours (1 Viewer)

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
hey all,

so ive been reading through the UoS for economics and the business school and ive noticed that some of them say honours within them. for example ECOS2902 Intermediate Macroeconomics Honours

do this mean that its possible to graduate with honours at usyd within the 3 years, without doing an extra year?

i thought it was an extra year doing research etc

any clarification will be appreciated, thanks

engineering

HSC
N/A
There are different modes of honours (extra year or no extra year) at Usyd,depending on your degree.

You can read the official rules for your degree in the relevant handbook for your degree at http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/, or ask staff at enrolment next week.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
hey all,

so ive been reading through the UoS for economics and the business school and ive noticed that some of them say honours within them. for example ECOS2902 Intermediate Macroeconomics Honours

do this mean that its possible to graduate with honours at usyd within the 3 years, without doing an extra year?

i thought it was an extra year doing research etc

any clarification will be appreciated, thanks
Essentially you are invited to do honours at the end of first year if you have a distinction average iirc. All students who accept that offer have a different set of compulsory units to the regular Economics major (i.e. there's a separate honours stream from second year onwards).

And yes, there is an additional fourth year.

http://sydney.edu.au/arts/economics/undergrad/honours.shtml

wndid

HSC
Essentially you are invited to do honours at the end of first year if you have a distinction average iirc. All students who accept that offer have a different set of compulsory units to the regular Economics major (i.e. there's a separate honours stream from second year onwards).

And yes, there is an additional fourth year.

http://sydney.edu.au/arts/economics/undergrad/honours.shtml
OzKo, I was wondering if you are taking/had taken the Honours program in Econ?
If so, what is the workload like compared to intro econ courses?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
OzKo, I was wondering if you are taking/had taken the Honours program in Econ?
If so, what is the workload like compared to intro econ courses?
I was offered a place for honours but the honours in my resource economics major is compulsory and I wasn't interested in majoring in economics anyway.

From what I hear, the course work is similar in respect to the hours albeit just a tad bit more challenging.

I'm doing honours for my resource economics major and from what I can see, timetabled hours are in fact lower than if I wasn't doing honours. Much of the difficulty is coping with the independence of having to do your own research project. That being said, honours is a massive plus for anyone doing anything economics related as the research skills you pick up are very similar to what you would do as an economist (i.e. analyst or consultant) so it really makes you much more competitive in the market for jobs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)