How can I change subjects? (1 Viewer)

IVAN_R

HSC
I am in Year 11 and I am unhappy with the subject Economics.

Since last year, I have been willing to do Ancient History as I have a passion for it, but got stuck with Economics (long story - my parents wanted me to lol).

Now I have almost finished with Year 11 and I am about to start Year 12.

What can I do to change subjects? Should I send a letter to the Board of Studies expressing my concern? The teachers keep saying it is impossible as I have missed out on the Preliminary Course but I have to keep reminding them that I believe I can do Ancient History...

I am very bad at Economics as I cannot concentrate in the classes, but I would consider myself pretty okay at the other subjects.

So any hints? I really need as much help as possible... Thanks to all! :)

autumn-bird

HSC
how about getting an "ancient history" tutor? i don't know if there's any... if you find one, you can get them to tutor you over the summer holidays in preparation for year 12. :D

if you simply wanted to change your subjects, couldn't you just do that through school? in victoria, we just do that... i'm not sure how it goes in nsw.

good luck!!

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
It will be very hard catching up on missed work, that's for sure.
How about dropping economics altogether and doing 10 units if you dislike it so much? A bit risky but it will be less stressful than catching up on prelim.
Convincing your parents is something you should be pro at by now.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Some schools won't let you change like this. you're almost beggining Year 12... It's like impossible. try to talk to the principal or year adviser. See if that works

If not, you will have to get a tutor and work very very hard

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC
I don't think you can do a HSC course without doing the prelim course for it (except when you drop to an easier level e.g. 2U maths to general). Then again, there might be ways of doing it that no one has told me >_>

Good luck nonetheless. Hope things turn out.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I don't think you can do a HSC course without doing the prelim course for it (except when you drop to an easier level e.g. 2U maths to general). Then again, there might be ways of doing it that no one has told me >_>

Completing any major Science course (eg. Chemistry, Physics) allows you to drop that subject and pick up Senior Science for the HSC year.

That's a far as I know.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC

this ^.

Board of studies wants to see prem done before you can do HSC. Only exception is Senior science.

Misyndo

HSC
Some people at my school have actually been allowed to change subjects.

2 of which have actually changed into Ancient History so I suppose this depends on your school and whatnot.

TheStallion

HSC
The best way to get an answer to this is just ask your bloody teacher, it's not that damn hard.

The teachers keep saying it is impossible as I have missed out on the Preliminary Course but I have to keep reminding them that I believe I can do Ancient History...
Are they referring to you not being capable, or simply not allowed to take it because you haven't done it in prelim. I'm fairly sure it's the latter, in which case - bad luck.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It is up to the Principal.

He/she has to be able to sign off that you have completed the Preliminary Course.

What that entails is left to the individual discretion of each principal.

I know at my school the Principal will allow certain students to change subjects at this point (after completing the Preliminary course for one subject) but they have to show evidence, before the start of Term 4 that they have completed enough of the Preliminary course e.g. one year he made the student complete all the assessment tasks including the exam but able to do so as open book. He had to hand it all in on the first day of Term 4.

shell.q

HSC
You have two options, drop it altogether at the end of yr11 or
do pathways and sit ancient history with yr 11's next yr n u have to be at school and extra yr to do the yr 12 ancient history course if u want it tht bad u will do tht choice

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC

He/she has to be able to sign off that you have completed the Preliminary Course.

I know at my school the Principal will allow certain students to change subjects at this point (after completing the Preliminary course for one subject) but they have to show evidence, before the start of Term 4 that they have completed enough of the Preliminary course e.g. one year he made the student complete all the assessment tasks including the exam but able to do so as open book. He had to hand it all in on the first day of Term 4.
Wow. This is a pretty lenient school. For one, I know that in my school, students are even discouraged from dropping to Advanced mathematics to General Maths. :jedi:

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC

hmm interesting, wouldnt that be against the BoS rules?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hmm interesting, wouldnt that be against the BoS rules?
No - he actually consulted the BOS and got their approval for that approach.

The student's parents also consulted the BOS and was told that as long as the Principal is prepared to sign off to say the student had completed the Preliminary course then the student could change subjects and by completing the Assessment Tasks the student did complete the preliminary course and showed that they had done so.

The student went on to get either a high Band 5 or a Band 6 in the subject as well. I can't remember which.

That is one of the reasons it is left to Principal's discretion - the Principal knows (or has access to teachers who will know) the ability of the student and whether they can master the relevant knowledge and skills to complete the HSC course. He doesn't allow every student to do so, by the way and the BOS has backed him when he has said "no" to a student on the basis of Principal's discretion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)