How can I get into UNSW Commerce with a low ATAR? (1 Viewer)

leontrann

HSC
Hi all,
I've finished my HSC in 2023 and received a low atar (70s) and don't know how I can get into UNSW Commerce.

I've received an offer at WSU B of Business and I'm expecting to receive UTS B of Business in January Round 1 (Jan 11).

I understand that I can go to UTS Business and transfer to UNSW Commerce if I achieve high enough marks across the school year, but if I have to go to WSU Business, is it possible to transfer to UNSW? I heard that going to WSU makes you ineligible to transfer to UNSW with high marks alone, is anyone able to confirm this?

Additionally, I did get an offer for a Diploma of Business at UNSW which transitions into Commerce Second Year, but the hours and starting dates are extremely inconvenient so this would be an option I wouldn't want to consider at all. The fees are also extremely high.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
I heard that going to WSU makes you ineligible to transfer to UNSW with high marks alone
tbh why would this be the case, I haven't looked into it but you should probably verify this with a search or two

id recommend transferring to unsw in 2nd year, should be possible regardless of what uni ur transferring from, ensure your wam is high 👍

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Congratulations on your offer! Essentially, you can transfer to an equivalent degree at a different university, regardless of the specific university that you are transferring from. This means that a transfer from the Bachelor of Business from either UTS or WSU to UNSW's Bachelor of Commerce is possible. The main element that UNSW will consider other than your ATAR (which in this case will not benefit you since it is not sufficiently high) is your university results at the university that you end up transferring from. In your case, this means that, regardless of whether you end up attending UTS or WSU, you must ensure that you perform at a favourable standard so that you can maximise your chances of receiving an offer to UNSW's Bachelor of Commerce through your university results.

With that being said, UNSW's Diploma in Business may potentially have an advantage over a Bachelor of Business/Commerce from a different university. When students transfer to an equivalent degree at a different university, they may be eligible for recognition of prior learning, meaning that similar units studied at the previous institution can count as credit towards the degree to which they are transferring (in this case, UNSW's Bachelor of Commerce), thus reducing the duration of the degree, instead of having to start it from the beginning. However, it is uncertain whether opting for this option as a transferring student from UTS or WSU will guarantee that you will start as a second-year student in the same way that you would, should you complete UNSW's Diploma in Business, or whether you may have to complete some first-year units at UNSW. From a degree progress/duration perspective, it is unfortunate that the Diploma in Business is not a convenient option for you, although the most important element is that you can definitely transfer from WSU's Bachelor of Business to UNSW's Bachelor of Commerce.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)