How can I improve my spoken English? (1 Viewer)

Paulinalai

HSC
N/A
I am a foreign student. I'm not a native English speaker. Speaking English is difficult for me. How can I improve my spoken English?

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
^^
That plus watch more english movies, plays, speeches etc.

crowley926

HSC
I am a foreign student. I'm not a native English speaker. Speaking English is difficult for me. How can I improve my spoken English?
I find that to get better at speaking you have to improve your writing first. I would suggest working on expanding your vocabulary and improving your authenticity by doing a lot of comprehension exercises or free writing practice (I'm assuming your teacher would have resources but if not google probably has good stuff). And also it is very useful reading books in English (start off with simple books or books you've already read in your native tongue) to learn new words.

As you gain more confidence in actually formulating English phrases, it is then much easier in your mind to express them quickly and naturally when speaking and you find that you spend less time saying "umm...I...am..." since words just come out easily.

You also have to learn the more difficult grammar rules otherwise you'll be stuck with just simple sentences like "I am good" or "I want some cookies".

Face of Humanity

HSC
I find that to get better at speaking you have to improve your writing first. I would suggest working on expanding your vocabulary and improving your authenticity by doing a lot of comprehension exercises or free writing practice (I'm assuming your teacher would have resources but if not google probably has good stuff). And also it is very useful reading books in English (start off with simple books or books you've already read in your native tongue) to learn new words.

As you gain more confidence in actually formulating English phrases, it is then much easier in your mind to express them quickly and naturally when speaking and you find that you spend less time saying "umm...I...am..." since words just come out easily.

You also have to learn the more difficult grammar rules otherwise you'll be stuck with just simple sentences like "I am good" or "I want some cookies".
The thing is most people talk differently from how they write. Also, that begs the question as how to improve written english
The best thing to do is to read, read, read.
It also depends on the actual problem you have with spoken English, e.g. is the problem lack of vocab or grammar?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)