How do I get into advanced? (1 Viewer)

bigmushroom

HSC
Hello
I normally get high B's in English but this semester I kinda stuffed up the test. For example, I got 0 in an extended response for writing about the wrong novel. Anyway I got 34/50 and that got me a course mark of 69, which is a C and one mark off a B. However my school requires you to get a B in the first semester of year 10 to do advanced. My questions are
1. How do I convince them to let me do advanced English
2. If I get stuck with standard, it it do- able to get an atar of 96+ that I need to get into my university couse
Thanks for the help

bigmushroom

HSC
How do I get into english advanced?

Hello
I normally get high B's in English but this semester I kinda stuffed up the test. For example, I got 0 in an extended response for writing about the wrong novel. Anyway I got 34/50 and that got me a course mark of 69, which is a C and one mark off a B. However my school requires you to get a B in the first semester of year 10 to do advanced. My questions are
2. If I get stuck with standard, is it do- able to get an atar of 96+ that I need to get into my university course
Thanks for the help

Simorgh

HSC
Re: How do I get into english advanced?

I mean they can't force you to do it. If all else fails, get your parents to call the English staffroom and literally fight for you to be in Adv.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Hello
2. If I get stuck with standard, is it do- able to get an atar of 96+ that I need to get into my university course
Thanks for the help
1. Try telling them that year 10 english and year 11 english advanced are two separate courses and no way can performance in year 10 be an indicator of performance in year 11 because the texts are at a much more difficult level when it comes to analysis and writing essays require a much higher standard-none of this is done in year 10
2. Yes it's possible. Just make sure you get 95+ for standard then you're all g

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

I mean they can't force you to do it. If all else fails, get your parents to call the English staffroom and literally fight for you to be in Adv.
If the classes are full and there is an oversupply of students wanting to do a course, the head teacher must decide which students are allowed to join and which aren't allowed to join. If it's too difficult, the best way to decide who's eligible into the course into the school is that they'll base it of year 10 results. If you don't get in, you are stuck in standard or you can do advanced but in this case you'll need to change schools

I don't think getting your parents to call the school will always work, not if other students have achieved higher marks/grades than another student and the classes are full

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
1.Ask you parents to talk to the school to persuade them
2.Write a letter outlining reasons why you are eager to do english
3. Offer to do extra work? Hand in practice essays to show you are committed to improving?
4. If you get stuck with standard, you can still get an ATAR of 96+

bigmushroom

HSC

Thx
Is it easy to get 95+ though in standard

emanresu

HSC
N/A
Teachers are people too. Assuming you are a rational person you should just approach whom ever is head of English/English advanced teacher and have a serious discussion with them about you joining the class. Things you could talk about might be you improving your marks or why it's necessary for you to be in the advanced class, just make it clear that it is important to you. The initiative alone should be enough really although I am making the assumption that you don't go to a selective school.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Teachers are people too. Assuming you are a rational person you should just approach whom ever is head of English/English advanced teacher and have a serious discussion with them about you joining the class. Things you could talk about might be you improving your marks or why it's necessary for you to be in the advanced class, just make it clear that it is important to you. The initiative alone should be enough really although I am making the assumption that you don't go to a selective school.
Thing is not all teachers are the same, some teachers are considerate and reasonable and some don't want things to go in the students' favour and rather they do "what's best for the student". Also some schools/teachers are worried about the school average in that subject being affected hence they don't permit lower students into courses that they wish to join. Sometimes it's easy for a situation like this to be solved, mostly I assume it's hard

pockysticks

HSC
N/A
I have a question about doing accelerated english. Do you have to do english extension/accelerated in yr 9 and 10 to be able to do it for HSC??? Sorry if this has nothing to do with the original post

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I have a question about doing accelerated english. Do you have to do english extension/accelerated in yr 9 and 10 to be able to do it for HSC??? Sorry if this has nothing to do with the original post
Accelerated english? I wish I could do that lol

What are you talking about, that's in year 11/12 when you do english advanced and english extension. Whenever you accelerate in english, you accelerate in advanced (and possibly extension depending on how your school is run) and it's impossible to accelerate in standard english (this was in the acceleration progression on the BOSTES website)

D94

HSC
N/A
You need to do the prelim course before the HSC course. So you would probably have to do the prelim english (and if possible the prelim extension course) in Year 10, and that will allow you to do the HSC english and ext courses in Year 11.

Seems strange that school with accelerated english would also offer standard english.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
You need to do the prelim course before the HSC course. So you would probably have to do the prelim english (and if possible the prelim extension course) in Year 10, and that will allow you to do the HSC english and ext courses in Year 11.

Seems strange that school with accelerated english would also offer standard english.
They can't

Boardofstudies doesn't allow them (see the acceleration progression thing on their website)

it's like acceleraing maths, you can't accelerate general maths, 2U minimum

pockysticks

HSC
N/A
Sorry, I'm really confused about all this acceleration and extension. You know how schools have an accelerated maths class in yr 9 and 10? Apparently if you want to do extension maths for HSC you have to have done those subjects. I was just wondering if it was the same for english because someone told me that there is going to be a higher class for english. So I'm just really curious because I wanted to do english advanced for HSC and I thought that english would be like maths where if you aren't in the accelerated classes in year 9 and 10 then you can't do it for HSC

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Sorry, I'm really confused about all this acceleration and extension. You know how schools have an accelerated maths class in yr 9 and 10? Apparently if you want to do extension maths for HSC you have to have done those subjects. I was just wondering if it was the same for english because someone told me that there is going to be a higher class for english. So I'm just really curious because I wanted to do english advanced for HSC and I thought that english would be like maths where if you aren't in the accelerated classes in year 9 and 10 then you can't do it for HSC
Acceleration is learning content which is a year ahead of your cohort. It can be a normal "2 unit" course or an extension course (extension courses must be done with "2 unit" courses though)

Remember English is compulsory and maths is optional

Acceleration means you can do HSC either in year 10 or 11

D94

HSC
N/A
They can't

Boardofstudies doesn't allow them (see the acceleration progression thing on their website)

it's like acceleraing maths, you can't accelerate general maths, 2U minimum
wut? no I meant offering accelerated english advanced, alongside the normal english standard class. seems strange a school would offer both.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
wut? no I meant offering accelerated english advanced, alongside the normal english standard class. seems strange a school would offer both.
Well I think it depends on how many students pick advanced and how many pick standard but in this case obviously there are going to be more advanced than standard

D94

HSC
N/A
Well I think it depends on how many students pick advanced and how many pick standard but in this case obviously there are going to be more advanced than standard
Noooo you're missing the point. I don't think many schools offer Standard (the lowest level), Advanced and Accelerated Advanced (and probably Extension 1 and 2 as well). An accelerated class usually indicates the school has overall good marks in that subject and sees potential in offering an Accelerated class - it's an entire class, not just a handful of students. But a Standard class usually indicates the overall marks aren't that good, and feels an entire class is warranted. So it's strange that both extremes are offered. You would normally just keep those Standard level of students in Advanced, since there's no major benefit in offering Standard (and especially in a school that offers Accelerated).

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Thx
Is it easy to get 95+ though in standard
If you are saying 95+ as in individual course mark in standard English and not as ATAR wise, it is extremely hard to get this mark, I know someone who got into top 10 of standard English in state a few years ago, and they got a mark of like 93/94, so 95+ in standard is state ranking standard-and given how many people studies standard English, it is very hard to achieve this, not impossible though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)