How do I prep for an exam (1 Viewer)

mandemindiguise

HSC
I have a modern history exam 5th of march, and im really stressing, because i dont know how to write a comprehensive essay. i reckon im lacking in structure, depth, historical knowledge, etc.. i just want to know, how do you guys prep for a modern history exam? the details are below- doing option USA 1707712800344.png

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I have a modern history exam 5th of march, and im really stressing, because i dont know how to write a comprehensive essay. i reckon im lacking in structure, depth, historical knowledge, etc.. i just want to know, how do you guys prep for a modern history exam? the details are below- doing option USA View attachment 42409
what i did and what most of my cohort did was prepare colour-coded essay plans over the term, with each essay covering a general overview of each syllabus. it’s not really like making one essay for english and memorising it to fit the question - because the syllabus dot-points for modh are there and they don’t change and so the questions won’t ever be too out of this world like english is. like they would write a general thesis, explicitly list out each paragraph point for the essay then in dot-points add in ur examples + relevant historiography. so like a really basic scaffold - u only need to write one essay since the good thing is that u were told what dot-point u’d be tested on - it takes a lot quicker than u’d think + it’s good to have in advance to prep for trials and hsc too

then u’d have to practise writing out with questions with that dot-point from past hsc and trial papers, should get feedback if u can. if ur more uncertain with how to write a modh essay in general, what u could do is write a completely different essay for a completely different dot-point and submit it for feedback and use the positive pointers from ur teacher to write ur own essay for the dot-point u’d be tested on -> preferably since ur being tested on a specific dot-point u’ve been told about def write out an essay about that dot-point using a past paper q and then try to get feedback if u can

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
what i did and what most of my cohort did was prepare colour-coded essay plans over the term, with each essay covering a general overview of each syllabus. it’s not really like making one essay for english and memorising it to fit the question - because the syllabus dot-points for modh are there and they don’t change and so the questions won’t ever be too out of this world like english is. like they would write a general thesis, explicitly list out each paragraph point for the essay then in dot-points add in ur examples + relevant historiography. so like a really basic scaffold - u only need to write one essay since the good thing is that u were told what dot-point u’d be tested on - it takes a lot quicker than u’d think + it’s good to have in advance to prep for trials and hsc too

then u’d have to practise writing out with questions with that dot-point from past hsc and trial papers, should get feedback if u can. if ur more uncertain with how to write a modh essay in general, what u could do is write a completely different essay for a completely different dot-point and submit it for feedback and use the positive pointers from ur teacher to write ur own essay for the dot-point u’d be tested on -> preferably since ur being tested on a specific dot-point u’ve been told about def write out an essay about that dot-point using a past paper q and then try to get feedback if u can

mandemindiguise

HSC

thank you so much masaken!

raindance42

HSC
what I would do is use the a4 sheet for quotes. to write an essay, each paragraph is based around a theme, and you integrate each piece of evidence to support your argument in that paragraph and your overall thesis. eg, [historian] said xyz, which reflects the [whatever], meaning that ... [tie to argument].
to prepare, I would write a practice essay for each assessable syllabus dot point, as well as any essay questions you can come up with that fit with the overarching topic.
(not sure I explained this very well, sorry!)

mandemindiguise

HSC
what I would do is use the a4 sheet for quotes. to write an essay, each paragraph is based around a theme, and you integrate each piece of evidence to support your argument in that paragraph and your overall thesis. eg, [historian] said xyz, which reflects the [whatever], meaning that ... [tie to argument].
to prepare, I would write a practice essay for each assessable syllabus dot point, as well as any essay questions you can come up with that fit with the overarching topic.
(not sure I explained this very well, sorry!)
thank you i appreciate it
ive been doing that now, i've done 1 out of the 7 essays needed on each syllabus point. But would it be possible they fuse 2 of the points together? Or is it only necessary to speak about 1

raindance42

HSC
they could definitely fuse multiple points together, or ask one overaching on the entire topic, unfortunately. It's just that writing an essay on each syllabus dot point is a good way to ensure you have a good depth of knowledge and enough quotes to be able to talk about anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)