How do they add up your total internal mark? (2 Viewers)

Danger

HSC
Obviously they can't just add up all your assessment marks as each one is of a different weighting... Also, do they rank you based on the final year mark or what?

bansdontwork

Banned
HSC
uh.. pretty sure that is exactly how they do it... say if an assessment was worth 15% and you got 100% in it, that goes to 15/100 of your assessment mark and so on.

yosemite sam

HSC
The basic way they add them up is with the weightings. SO if you have an assessment worth 25% and you get 80% for it then your mark is 80/100 x .25
and thats how much out of 25 goes toward your assessment mark.
Your ranking is worked out based on those internal marks.
So if you beat everyone in your class consistently for the year you should get a ranking of 1.
They do sometimes change them a bit at the end before their officially entered, teachers can change them but its very unusual for them to take marks away. My history teacher told us that if someone only gets 30 even though they've tried super hard then its acceptable for him to raise their mark up to 52. How ethical that is i'm not sure.
Then the HSC people can change it as well. For example, my Modern mark appeared on my report as 92 but because only 10% of people sitting any one subject can get a band 6, my assessment mark appeared on my HSC report as 90. By the same token, my General maths mark went from about 85 to 92.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Yep, your marks are moderated by BOS.

yosemite sam said:
Then the HSC people can change it as well. For example, my Modern mark appeared on my report as 92 but because only 10% of people sitting any one subject can get a band 6, my assessment mark appeared on my HSC report as 90. By the same token, my General maths mark went from about 85 to 92.
That is incorrect. The Board of Studies doesn't set a particular percentage of band six's to give out. Your mark is soley based on whether or not you met the band descriptions. That way, if a cohort is smarter than the previous year (like in 2007), then more band sixes will be given out to that cohort.

Prosper

HSC
Correct, however there is a head judge for each subject which determines what the mark is to get a band 6

jessi90

HSC
Prosper said:
Correct, however there is a head judge for each subject which determines what the mark is to get a band 6
are you sure? I thought a mark of 90 or above = band 6 (or 45 or above for extensions)

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
You guys are confusing raw marks with moderated marks and scaled marks.

Take up on without wings advice and read those threads first. If you have any questions after you do that then go ahead and ask.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Prosper said:

The Head Judge doesn't make that decision.

There is a team of judges and the head judge's job is to simply co-ordinate the judging process and keep to the timetable. His/Her opinion count no more than those of the other judges.

I have done judging for the HSC so am talking from experience.

However, after the judges have made a recommendation to the BOS the judging team are not told what the final cut-offs actually are. In other words the BOS could choose to accept or reject the recommendation and make up their own cur-off.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Excal spreadsheets > Calculators

:D
(Yeah, such a stupid question doesn't deserve a much better answer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)