How do they prevent this? (1 Viewer)

blitz0

HSC
Hey guys.
Im doing the HSC through OTEN. Now, i am only getting average to low rankings (29/35, 14/25, 4/13 etc) and my marks are equally average.... BUT what i was wondering is, these assessment task are SO hard, way harder than school assessment task, and my trials were way harder than HSC papers. I was wondering if there is a failsafe that BoS has to prevent things liek this happening.

If i blast my HSC exams, i mean Band 5's and 6's, does that mean ill still be able to get a UAI of 90+?

If not, whats the highest UAI you guys think ill be able to get?

Thanks guys.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah well if they normally set hard assessments, chances are they are preparing you for whats going to be in the HSC exam, so usually if that happens youll kill it
you have to give us what subjects you do, and their corresponding rankings for us to give you a better estimate
id give you one as soon as you post them up

blitz0

HSC
ill give you guys the subjects im doin, and my marks and ranks for all three of the assessment tasks aswell.

Physics:
- Ass 1 - Mark: 55% Rank: 7/13 (weighted at 30%) (Highest mark: 85, Lowest mark: 29, Average mark: 55)
- Ass 2 - Mark: 62% Rank: 4/13 (weighted at 40%)(HM: 75, LM: 22, AM: 46)
- Ass 3 - Mark: 41% Rank: 6/10 (weighted at 30%)(HM: 80, LM: 20, AM: 46)

Ancient History:
- Ass 1 - Mark: 64% Rank: 24/40 (weighted at 30%)(HM: 87, LM: 32, AM: 66)
- Ass 2 - Mark: 33% Rank: 29/35 (weighted at 40%)(HM: 92, LM: 4, AM: 58)
- Ass 3 - Mark: 38% Rank: 29/33 (weighted at 30%)(HM: 99, LM: 19, AM: 62)

English Advanced
- Ass 1 - Mark: 72% Rank: 18/42 (weighted at 30%)(HM: 98, LM: 20, AM: 68)
- Ass 2 - Mark: 40% Rank: 24/35 (Weighted at 30%)(HM: 93, LM: 7, AM: 58)
- Ass 3 - Mark: 63% Rank: 21/32 (weighted at 40%)(HM: 100, LM: 23, AM: 71)

Mathematics (2 unit Advanced)
- Ass 1 - Mark: 78% Rank: 14/25 (weighted at 20%)(HM: 98, LM: 5, AM: 73)
- Ass 2 - Mark: 35% Rank: 14/18 (weighted at 50%)(HM: 86, LM: 8, AM: 46.2)
- Ass 3 - Mark: 63% Rank: 15/17 (weighted at 30%)(HM: 100, LM: 5, AM: 77.35)

Now, im only doin four subjects through OTEN, im carrying my IPT course over from last year (this is my second attempt at the HSC) i dont remember my exact assesment marks, but i remember i got a Band 5 in the HSC.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Affinity

HSC
blitz0 said:
Hey guys.
Im doing the HSC through OTEN. Now, i am only getting average to low rankings (29/35, 14/25, 4/13 etc) and my marks are equally average.... BUT what i was wondering is, these assessment task are SO hard, way harder than school assessment task, and my trials were way harder than HSC papers. I was wondering if there is a failsafe that BoS has to prevent things liek this happening.

If i blast my HSC exams, i mean Band 5's and 6's, does that mean ill still be able to get a UAI of 90+?

Thanks guys.
strongly recommend that you read this:

http://www.users.on.net/~unix/HSCmarks.pdf

Can only say that your final marks will depends on how your colleagues perform

Last edited:

chryslerregal

HSC
omg, I'm doing my HSC through OTEN as well, (although I'm still finishing the preliminary so far) Are the assessment tasks really that hard?? thats not what I was hoping to hear!!
I'm doing:

Chemistry
Biology
Mathematics
English Advanced
Earth & Environmental Science
Pdhpe

Chemistry and Mathematics are really testing me though, the information just doesnt seem to stick in my head, and its even harder to get some of it when theres no teacher to explain it all to me.
How did you go with HSC with OTEN?

blitz0

HSC
Not to frighten you or nething, but its pretty riduculous and hard. My only word of advise is to have a good study plan, cause when the months of July and Augest come round, its tough. That said however, i only just got oever average marks (compared to the other students), so i mite just be stupid, lol.

Just plan everything out. And if you have trouble, ring the teachers, cause u only have three assessment task per subject to show ur stuff, so u need to be confident in each of them. I just wish they told me this stuff too, but if i can prevent someone else falling for the same trap, its worth it.

good luck! and stay motivated!

King Tut

HSC
N/A
blitz0 said:
Hey guys.

Thanks guys.
Aight well BOS does have a failsafe..... its called aligning. What happens is, some schools, institutions or organisations set their exams and assessments really hard, and thus the student for example, might get a low assessment mark compared to everyone else. Of course some set the assessments really easy and students have their assessments higher than what they should be.
Anyway, the HSC is a universal exam put out by BOS. Now using this exam, they can determine how hard or easy the schools have made the assessment marks for the students. So in your case, if your overall assessment marks are really low, but you kill the HSC, then they're going to know that your teachers marked you too hard and they're going to boost your assessment mark or "align" it accordingly. Obviously on the contrary, someone who had the high assessment mark but goes bad in the HSC, will have their assessment mark brought down accordingly.

Fishaks

HSC
Hey Blizo

I'm an oten student doing physics now (2007) and was wondering if you had previous trial papers????

Thanx
Really appreciate it

alby

cool duckie
HSC
send blizo a pm/email. by the looks of things, they havent been on here since last year, so i dont think you'll get a reply

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)