How do u know how much to write? (1 Viewer)

FinalFantasy

HSC
When answering physics q's... how do u know wats relevant to write about, or how much u need to put in?
often questions ask to do something, and i address wat the question is asking but they seem to want more "irrelevant" stuff as well to get full marks lol

:\

DAAVE

HSC
The number of marks is the best indication of how much to write.

As for what to write, make sure you read the question. Usually you can pick up at least 3 points from the question to write about. Include any relevent laws (Cons of energy/Faradays law/whatever) and equations, and background info on what you are writing about. If you know the content it shouldn't be too hard to make a decent response...

FinalFantasy

HSC
but the thing is.. i like lose 1 or 2 marks for every 4-5mark response, i address da question and answer what they ask for... the marks i lose are for stupid crap which is not even wat the questions asks LoL
dis is wat makes physics sucks now, so much dependant on english skills

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
um... why does that suck??? Every subject depends on english skills, even mathematics... You live in a world where english is essentially everything, might I suggest you bug your teacher for the standards package for physics so you can polish your answers and get 5 out of 5 every time :)

rama_v

HSC
FinalFantasy said:
but the thing is.. i like lose 1 or 2 marks for every 4-5mark response, i address da question and answer what they ask for... the marks i lose are for stupid crap which is not even wat the questions asks LoL
I know aye, thats so true. Thats why I just write HEAPS for every question, I go way over the lines because realistically u ca'nt answer a three mark question in three lines, but thats my opinion. The first two lines are requried for simply restating what the question says (I lost a mark for not doing that in one of my chemistry exams, I just said "table" instead of "table of standar potentials")..again my opinion. Oh well.

A l

HSC
N/A
FinalFantasy said:
You may be marked on a tough criteria at your school or your answers were not SPECIFIC enough or there weren't enough points to get the full marks.
Specificity in your answers is what gets you marks. You have be very precise in your response to gain full marks. Also, usually the number of marks a question offers is the number of points/ideas you should address (i.e. a 3 mark question should require 3 points or ideas). Irrelevent information may actually result in a reduction of marks. You can lose marks by having additional irrelevent information even though you may have already covered the full requirements for the question.

A common problem that many students have is that they indirectly answer the question. For example, if a question reads:
'Compare radio waves to gamma rays in terms of wavelength and frequency.'

Many students would write something like:
Radio waves have a long wavelength and a low frequency. Gamma rays have a short wavelength and a high frequency.

Notice, how there really isn't much comparison, but rather a description of both the radio waves and gamma rays. Here is another response:
Radio waves have much longer wavelengths than gamma rays as well as much lower frequencies as opposed to gamma rays.
OR
Gamma rays have much shorter wavelengths than radio waves as well as much higher frequencies as opposed to radio waves.

There is a higher sense of comparison in this response than the previous one. Hence, you must know the verbs glossary well and you must answer with as much precision as possible.

The length of a response does not really matter, as long as you address the question properly and give enough explicit information to the number of marks able to be awarded.

FinalFantasy

HSC
A l said:
There is a higher sense of comparison in this response than the previous one. Hence, you must know the verbs glossary well and you must answer with as much precision as possible.
this answering with "precision" and knowing the verbs glossary.. how is dat physics?! its just being good at english to me!!

A l

HSC
N/A
FinalFantasy said:
this answering with "precision" and knowing the verbs glossary.. how is dat physics?! its just being good at english to me!!
Obviously, your explanation must use the conepts dealt with in Physics. Being good at English has got nothing to do with it. Obviously, a basic understanding of english language is needed, but you won't get marked on how well you use your english.
You need to have a deep understanding of physical concepts in order to answer these kinds of questions. They require you to use these concepts to explain and put together certain aspects in the physical world. You must communicate and show your understanding of physical concepts in these questions.

In the example I mentioned earlier, you have to show that you understand the differences in wavelengths and frequency in gamma rays and radio waves.

A marker interprets the following lower range answer:
Radio waves have a long wavelength and a low frequency. Gamma rays have a short wavelength and a high frequency.

The marker can see that this student knows that radio waves and gamma rays have these kinds of frequencies and wavelengths. However, the marker does not see that this student knows the relative differences between them very clearly. There is no link between the two descriptions, hence he or she thinks that student does not truly know the difference between them.

A marker interprets the following higher range answer:
Radio waves have much longer wavelengths than gamma rays as well as much lower frequencies as opposed to gamma rays.

The marker can see that this student knows the differences between radio waves and gamma rays relative to each other. The gamma rays and radio waves are linked together showing an understanding of the relationships and associations between radio waves and gamma rays.

Remember that each question assesses a part of the syllabus, and I pretty sure that the Physics syllabus does not require students to learn how to use english. You have to know how the marker would interpret your responses. You may have the required knowledge and understanding of Physics in a particular question, but the marker may not see it due to a poorly explained response.

FinalFantasy

HSC
A l said:
A marker interprets the following lower range answer:

The marker can see that this student knows that radio waves and gamma rays have these kinds of frequencies and wavelengths. However, the marker does not see that this student knows the relative differences between them very clearly. There is no link between the two descriptions, hence he or she thinks that student does not truly know the difference between them.
wat if the student doesn't know how to "link" the stuff, his\her english just good enuff to write wat the things are, and doesn't know how to use the words like "as opposed to"

A l

HSC
N/A
FinalFantasy said:
wat if the student doesn't know how to "link" the stuff, his\her english just good enuff to write wat the things are, and doesn't know how to use the words like "as opposed to"
That is the equivalent of not understanding a question. There would still be some marks still gained with that kind of response, because understanding and knowledge is displayed to some extent, but it might not necessarily be as high. It is equivalent to having someone unable to express what they want to say. Communication is a basic skill in english. If the student has mastered this skill, and had still produced that response then it can be said that the student does not understand the deeper physical concept behind it.

Schools are meant to help students with this kind of problem. Students can learn from this when going through examination papers.
In the marker's point of view, this is not considered. Unfortunately, to the marker and the criteria, where the english can be said to be presumed even among all candidates, this shows that the student has a shallow understanding of the physical concept behind the question.

helper

HSC
N/A
In a compare question. the easiest way is to draw a table showing similarites and differences.

An assess question, start off with an opinion.

The answers do not have to be in the form of an English answer but the keyword must be answered. These are part of the Syllabus. This is the English side that a lot of people do not agree with.
Eg. In one question from last year, you could give a wrong assesment with some correct physics and still pass the question as you answered the question. Assess. You were marked on English not physics.

If there is a link in the question make sure you put a link in the answer.
If it saids propose arguments make sure you answer in that form, not just list the advantages.

So English is now important to answer a question important, rather than the mathematical version of physics in the past HSCs.

As for length, the number of lines is a good guideline to how long your answer should be if you are only answering the question. If you are doubling the lines, it normally means you are writing information that wasn't required and may include wrong information or a contradiction that may stop you from obtaining full marks.

Remember it is science, so use diagrams, points, tables etc to shorten your answer.

helper

HSC
N/A
A l said:
Unfortunately, to the marker and the criteria, where the english can be said to be presumed even among all candidates, this shows that the student has a shallow understanding of the physical concept behind the question.
Or what the board would say.

Recall is a low level skill
Description is higher
Explanation is higher again
Application is an even higher level skill

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Hmm but if ALL subjects depends on english then ppl who excels at those subjects then should excel in english.
For me that's not the case, i got the lowest mark for english came like 40/70 :( but i did quite well in all my other subjects. all came top 10 with a couple top 3

DAAVE

HSC
They aren't asking you to write a literary masterpiece. All you have to do is communicate effectively.

If you can't do that then you better learn fast or you will be next to useless to employers or in further education.

Budz

HSC
Wait can u seriously be deducted marks in you HSC for over writing. or irrelivant information.. i normally score about 5/6 or 4/5 for long responses and many times full marks but i need to write on every bit of white pace on the sheet.

FinalFantasy

HSC
Budz said:
Wait can u seriously be deducted marks in you HSC for over writing. or irrelivant information.. i normally score about 5/6 or 4/5 for long responses and many times full marks but i need to write on every bit of white pace on the sheet.
don't think u'll lose marks for over writing, but the annoying thing is having to write on every bit of white space...... it's not like maths where if dey ask a question, u just answer that question and u get full marks. in physics u gota like write other bs in as well:\

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
A l said:
That is the equivalent of not understanding a question. There would still be some marks still gained with that kind of response, because understanding and knowledge is displayed to some extent, but it might not necessarily be as high.
This is just my view on the piece and I'm not claiming to know how they mark it but the only thing the second piece does better is define the ambigious terms long and short instead of them being an arbitary piece.

For the second one to show that they understand the comparison better would probably require something along these lines:

Radio waves have a larger wavelength then γ waves. As radio waves and γ waves possess the same velocity (that of light) and frequency is inversely proportional to wavelength (as v=fλ ) radio waves have a smaller frequency then γ waves.

The second answer you presented I don't think shows the knowledge of how these two relate neither does the first and both are equivalent to a table:
<table><th>Radio waves vs Gamma waves</th>
<tr><td> </td><td>Radio Waves </td><td>Gamma waves</td></tr>
<tr><td>Wavelength</td><td>Relatively long </td><td>Relatively short</td></tr>
<tr><td>Frequency</td><td>Relatively low</td><td>Relatively High</td></tr></table>

helper

HSC
N/A
Budz said:

Just for writing extra you currently will not lose marks, currently. The board is looking into ways of fairly doing this as the markers are going overtime due to the extra marking.

You will lose marks if you put in contradictory statements or incorrect stements. At times even if they are irrelevent.

If you run out of room ask for another booklet. DONT scrawl it all over the page.

Also if something is crossed out it is not read.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)