How Do U Study For English ?? (1 Viewer)

jodes_w

BFEPNS said:
i know i have to control myself but its soo hard wen my GB character is soo underdeveloped....fuk....thanks newayz
m i a loser coz i dont know wat a gb character is? or r u coz u do know?

A

abdo

i normally download an essay from bos and remember it like i am doing now for my trials which is in 3.5 hours. but i always get distracted and start to play yetisports...

=JZ=

jodes_w said:
m i a loser coz i dont know wat a gb character is? or r u coz u do know?
no, ur not a loser. it's just a online computer game called "GunBound".

shellbell_mac

dont it there winging about failing and not getting in the mood the study.....i dont think there is ever a time where u r in the mood to sudy. Perserverance is the key!!!

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
1. Study in relation to the syllabus (most important)
2. Know all of your texts back-to-front
3. Have at least 4 related texts that you know well
4. Study with people that inspire you, and that are better than you
5. DO PAST PAPERS.....A LOT

These are probably the most important things you will need to do to improve on English. This is a lot to do, if you currently do none of it, but thats up to you if you want to change this. If you dont, fine, thats your life, if you do, even better. Start now, literally.

Probably the most important thing you will need is motivation. This is why you need to study with people that are better than you, and/or that inspire and motivate you. If you need any more info from me, feel free to PM me.

Lastly, to answer you question about using complex language, yes and no.
Yes, the markers do recognise the language you use, and will mark accordingly if you are able to use it successfully.
No, you wont get better marks if you dont know when, and how to use it. You need to suit your language to the form of writing involved. You will score high marks if you follow the syllabus and are able to use related texts and link them.

...I posted this in reply to a similar question in another thread, should be all there.

Rogue1987

Some tips...

To v sia:
The first thing you have to have are quite a few additional material. My teacher recommends about two additional material for the "Ways of Living" topic, two additional material for "Journeys" as well as the piece from the Stimulus Booklet and two or so from Peter Skry.'s poetry booklet, and two or so additional material for the dialogue topic, of which we are studying "The Club".

All what I do to study is know the additional materials, and the topics as well as a few quotes from each. For instance, with the Peter Skry.'s poetry "Immigrant Chonology" or something like that, I know the poems "Post Card" and "Leaving Home" really well and as such, can implement them into whatever question is asked.

For the Dialogue topic: know and be able to identify the following language features:
- Idioms/Cliche's
- Insults
- Rhetorical questions
- Sexist Language
- Irony
- Sarcasm.
From these features, you can find out a lot about certain characters. Intergrating quotes helps provide evidence for your statements about each character's attitude and so on. For example, excessive idioms and cliche' use may be a sign of un-intelligence.

You should also be able to write in a variety of formats including essays, reports, interviews, dialogue and so on.

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
A tutor that works at my school told us to remember "CHEST HAIR CREATES MOJO PLUS"
The letters are the first letters of each technique
Contrast, Hyperbole, Emotive language etc, simile, tone etc. Cant remember the rest

You could do this for other subjects as well

fm elissa

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What does everyone think about memorizing a very vague essay for texts studied?(i.e the absolute key points for the text)

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
im planning to write a lot of dot points for all the texts that im studying, hopefully i'll remember the important parts more effectively

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
BFEPNS said:
but honestly ppl how the fuk do u get into the mood for studing??? i mean these holidays i kept saying i was goin to study but all i did was play gunbound (p.s. VS me ppl...GB name = Bfeboi) and my FKN TRIAL ARE AUGUST 2nd.... FARK ...HELP... i'vs faild all my subjects in the half yearly:( except for 2unit maths and i pretty much fukd up my HSC....:mad: FUK :mad:
I was never in the mood for studying, but I knew I had to, I didn't want to be sitting in the exam for 2 or 3 hours being clueless, plus I wanted to get good results..

olga

HSC
my tips for english exams!

remember your essay format

intro-define topic area e.g imaginative journies occur in the realm of the mind where reality is considered and fantasy is created.
-state all texts and composers
-give a sentence which ties the texts, question and imaginative journies theme together
-keep it simple about 5-6 lines but use sophisticated language.

body- structure each paragraph with -topic sentence linking to question, state text name type and composer
-technique (must link to journies!), include quote
-purpose (how does this technique help convey the journey?)
-concluding satement similar to opening

-next paragraph's topic sentence should link to last paragraph ie similarly...

-when studing make dot points for each part of the paragraph and remember just those bits..eg -road not taken
-Robert Frost
-lyrical poem
-uses ambiguity to show it is the journey not the outcome that is of importance as he doesn't feel its neccessary to mention outcome

conclusion- same as intro but DRAW A CONCLUSION! this is where many ppl lose marks. make sure u state what these texts have taught you and link it back to the question.

-try to keep it short put still loads of info so you make sure u have time to conclude, its the most important bit.
-when beginning your exam scribble down a small essay plan in dot points and add to it as u think while u write other bits, let the marker see this as they will mark it.
-the only way to study is by making these dot points and memorising them and by getting questions off your teacher and writing practice esays.

good luck!

7th Sign

HSC
man standard english at my school is pretty demanding ....

I study for ages before tests like 10 hours +

and i still get shit marks like 70%

soo many people do well in it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)