How do you network? (1 Viewer)

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys!
So the thing was that EY was at our uni today, and I managed to talk to them and get in touch with the head recruiter and stuff
But how do you exactly 'network'?
Wasn't even sure I was doing it right haha

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Basically you dont go to networking events and appear to be a smart ass (person is not gonna be like, wow this is a hot shot, i want him her in my company) You actually ask meaningful questions that are relevant to you.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Drifting95: 'wear a pencil skirt'

relates to females ofc

madharris

HSC
N/A
"Join the world's largest professional network"
LinkedIn

Jk... does anyone even use this professionally?

Just get yourself out there, make friends with people who you think will be significant to your career and stuff.
Then wait for opportunities and stuff like that :)

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Drifting95: 'wear a pencil skirt'

relates to females ofc
Haha, I was actually in jeans and a top lol
Basically just ran into them as I was heading out from a lecture
Surprisingly no one else approached them

"Join the world's largest professional network"
LinkedIn

Jk... does anyone even use this professionally?

Just get yourself out there, make friends with people who you think will be significant to your career and stuff.
Then wait for opportunities and stuff like that :)
:wavey: I have one! My LinkedIn is not very beefy but its a start haha
Alrightie thanks :)

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha, I was actually in jeans and a top lol
Basically just ran into them as I was heading out from a lecture
Surprisingly no else approached them

:wavey: I have one! My LinkedIn is not very beefy but its a start haha
Alrightie thanks :)
You add things to it as you get a job and do volunteering.

Protip: pick an appropriate image.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
At university student level- Attend events, speak to people, get your name/face known (for the right reasons), be involved in relevant societies, etc.

ps. If you want me to give you feedback on your LinkedIn profile, PM me.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
At university student level- Attend events, speak to people, get your name/face known (for the right reasons), be involved in relevant societies, etc.

ps. If you want me to give you feedback on your LinkedIn profile, PM me.
Will head hunters be impressed with my linkedin where Im flexing?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
For the love of god don't ask stupid questions! When I went to the careers fairs at USyd and UNSW this year there were so many people who asked what we did etc. It gets quite annoying when we have repeatedly explain what we do.

That being said there were people who did their research, were genuinely interested in what we do and asked some pretty impressive questions. HR specifically asked us to get the details of those people so they look out for their application. So go figure...

Whovian95

HSC
For the love of god don't ask stupid questions! When I went to the careers fairs at USyd and UNSW this year there were so many people who asked what we did etc. It gets quite annoying when we have repeatedly explain what we do.

That being said there were people who did their research, were genuinely interested in what we do and asked some pretty impressive questions. HR specifically asked us to get the details of those people so they look out for their application. So go figure...
would you please provide examples of said impressive questions? :)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
would you please provide examples of said impressive questions? :)
Stuff along the lines of "I've noticed you/your division have been working on ABC from what I've heard in the press. I've had some experience in XYZ which really sparked my interest in ABC because of (insert reasons and opinions on ABC). (Insert really specific question about ABC in relation to employees who worked on it and the stakeholders involved).

enoilgam

HSC
Pretty much this - you will find that quite a few professionals will take the time to answer your questions or give you insight into their field.

Having worked a bit on a graduate program, this is definitely a thing. Those events are prime opportunities for firms to scout potential talent and it does get noted for future applications.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
On the other hand, to some extent there is no such thing as bad publicity. Obviously if you make a fool of yourself or give the impression that you have no idea about the company that's different but showing up to events and talking to (~networking with~) people in the industry you wish to work in can do no harm.

I know a guy who posts/shares a tonne of technical articles on social media that has supposedly been offered jobs on the basis of his social media presence. (but your friends/colleagues wont like you if you do this haha)

Can also vouch for what Enoil and Trebla are talking about, been on a stall for a careers fair type event and we were told to make note of people who seemed stand out or genuinely interested. Being overly interested in the freebies is an easy way to not be noted down, no problem with taking them but don't let your opening sentence be "Can I have a...".

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Every now and then at an event, someone will strike me as a true potential candidate who I could see working with me. If they show a genuine interest, I'm more than happy to talk about working life with a candid perspective. I don't attend many of the careers fairs anymore but every now and then I come out to bring a bit of muscle (or weight) to any discussions which might arise. So yeah, you never know who you'll meet at these events but leaving a good impression is never a bad thing.

ps. Whilst I don't mind people knowing who I am thanks to BoS, not everyone takes so kindly to people having memorised (aka stalked) linkedin profiles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)