How do you spend your time in the exam? (1 Viewer)

morgoe

HSC
Its a 3 hour exam but in trials I found I didn't spend anything like 45 mins on each. Pompeii/Herc was done in about 30 mins, same with Sparta, then I somehow spent 1 hour 10 mins on Caesar leaving only 50 mins for the last section (Fall of the republic).
Only I scored nearly full marks for the first two sections, but 'only' 20's/25 for the last two.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
I go roughly by their guide, 45 each, butttt I always gain time on Pomp/Herc and Pericles.

ziggy.zoozah

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
I go roughly by their guide, 45 each, butttt I always gain time on Pomp/Herc and Pericles.
omg with those subjects ur uai is gonna be amazing!!! :)
but too bad for your society and culture, meh you can always drop it like a day before the exam right?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
ziggy.zoozah said:
omg with those subjects ur uai is gonna be amazing!!! :)
but too bad for your society and culture, meh you can always drop it like a day before the exam right?
Society is probably my favourite subject and it scales pretty neutrally. Which means if you do well, which I will, this elusive thing called scaling wont effect it.

But thanks?

ziggy.zoozah

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Society is probably my favourite subject and it scales pretty neutrally. Which means if you do well, which I will, this elusive thing called scaling wont effect it.

But thanks?
ah now dont get too big for your own boots. i did the standard english paper feeling pretty confident and i dont think i went well at all. but as long as its something you like rather than something that scales tremendously well (like my macedonian continuers) then by all means, go for it!

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
ziggy.zoozah said:
ah now dont get too big for your own boots. i did the standard english paper feeling pretty confident and i dont think i went well at all. but as long as its something you like rather than something that scales tremendously well (like my macedonian continuers) then by all means, go for it!
Big for my own boots?

If you want to get into an argument about how well our subjects scales, history extension is pretty pwnage in the scaling wars.

But lets not, its silly.
I do love society and I excell, so it should be fine
=D

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Also, back on topic.

I usually do the Core in 35 minutes, same with Pericles.

Which gives me longer on Greek world annnnd Sparta.

ziggy.zoozah

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Also, back on topic.

I usually do the Core in 35 minutes, same with Pericles.

Which gives me longer on Greek world annnnd Sparta.
tusk tusk...spend equal time on each section if you want to achieve good results. each sections worth the same so obviously do it that way. unless you happen to do macedonian continuers like me where the sections are of different weighting then dont be stupid and stick to what the paper tells you to do. if the paper told you to spend 1 minute on a section and 1 hr 29 on another of equal weighting, youd do it right? follow the board's advice - theyre smart.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
ziggy.zoozah said:
tusk tusk...spend equal time on each section if you want to achieve good results. each sections worth the same so obviously do it that way. unless you happen to do macedonian continuers like me where the sections are of different weighting then dont be stupid and stick to what the paper tells you to do. if the paper told you to spend 1 minute on a section and 1 hr 29 on another of equal weighting, youd do it right? follow the board's advice - theyre smart.
Oh, if I needed 45 minutes I'd take 45 minutes. What I'm saying is that I write and think and organise thoughts quickly for those sections. Why waste 10 minutes waiting to start the others when I'm done early? Its not like I'm going to twiddle my thumbs and then start right on the dot.
Its a rough guideline. Obviously if you can write sustained responses quicker than the suggested allowed time you should.

ziggy.zoozah

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Oh, if I needed 45 minutes I'd take 45 minutes. What I'm saying is that I write and think and organise thoughts quickly for those sections. Why waste 10 minutes waiting to start the others when I'm done early? Its not like I'm going to twiddle my thumbs and then start right on the dot.
Its a rough guideline. Obviously if you can write sustained responses quicker than the suggested allowed time you should.
fair enough. just remember me when youre doing your ancient exam ok?

morgoe

HSC
Not many people stick to the 'recommended' times in any exam. English paper 1 most people do their creative in 30-35 mins. No-one spends the same amount of time on the 1st maths question as the last one.

@Sonya..
Pericles.. is that a personality? I don't know a thing about the other electives/whateveryoucallthem. How can you get a couple essays done in 35 mins then? And how do you take so long on Sparta? Unless you don't do the same Sparta I do (section 2)..damn these confusing electives.
With the essays for me I always have to cut down on what I'm writing to fit to the time, but with the first 2 sections I usually run out of information before the time runs out, so thats why I get em done so fast XD. Gets me near-top marks (ie. 7.5/8) but never top marks, but meh.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
ziggy.zoozah said:
fair enough. just remember me when youre doing your ancient exam ok?
Lol, I'd love to but I'll probably be trying to remember details of the Ionia Revolt, or modern and ancient writers views on Pericles.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
morgoe said:
Not many people stick to the 'recommended' times in any exam. English paper 1 most people do their creative in 30-35 mins. No-one spends the same amount of time on the 1st maths question as the last one.

@Sonya..
Pericles.. is that a personality? I don't know a thing about the other electives/whateveryoucallthem. How can you get a couple essays done in 35 mins then? And how do you take so long on Sparta? Unless you don't do the same Sparta I do (section 2)..damn these confusing electives.
With the essays for me I always have to cut down on what I'm writing to fit to the time, but with the first 2 sections I usually run out of information before the time runs out, so thats why I get em done so fast XD. Gets me near-top marks (ie. 7.5/8) but never top marks, but meh.
Yup, Pericles is a personality.
He's done in parts a) and b), so one short response and an extended response, not so much an essay which makes him pleasently easy.

The core study is comprehension ish, with short to extended responses. Short sharp and to the point works best here, which is why I can get it done in around 35-40 minutes

I do Spartan Society. I really like to nail the last questions and give myself the leeway if Im unfamilar with the source or the focus.

I'm lucky in that I can write super fast

morgoe

HSC
How do you approach the personality? Asking because I spent over an hour on Caesar (also split into a 10 marker and 15 marker) and only scored 20 or 21/25. Which is annoying, compared to a 24.5/25 for Pomp/Herc done in 30 mins.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
morgoe said:
How do you approach the personality? Asking because I spent over an hour on Caesar (also split into a 10 marker and 15 marker) and only scored 20 or 21/25. Which is annoying, compared to a 24.5/25 for Pomp/Herc done in 30 mins.
The thing is, half your info is given to you in Herc/Pomp through the sources, its basically a give away section.

I dont really have a technique. I just try and be clear, concise and direct to the question.

HSC
i gain time on sparta, as it's my best section so i tend not to need to stop to think, and also on pompeii. that time gets used up on old kingdom and hatshepsut though <- we had a 45 minute in-class assessment for the latter and i only just finished.

jeahsen

HSC
yep

45ish for Personality

55ish for Period

35ish on P/H

40ish for Society (in the order I do em)

and 5 mins to make sure my writing is legible.

kevzor

HSC
ziggy.zoozah said:
haha, uai of 89. hilarious. $50 says you get less than 80.

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
^slack lol

uumm i dont time myself so i have no idea but i didnt like how i approached trial exams so hopeing to do it like this

35 pompeii/herc
45 sparta
50 hannibal
50 Greek world

but hell who knows all depends on uestions we get given some might evoke me to draw far more greatly upon my knowledge or inspire me to overkill it lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)