How do you write summaries from notes? (1 Viewer)

themonalisa

HSC
Ok ive decided to start writing summaries to help me with my revision for the end of sem exam.

Each week so far ive got 4 pages of notes (from readings, the lectures and any extra reading they give us)

so how do i turn those 4 pages of notes into a summary?

do i keep the sub headings?

or do I try and write a narrative style understanding of what I learnt that week?

Hope to hear from someone soon!

richei

HSC
I find just stripping out filler and leaving your structure in tact is your best bet.

When I say filler, I mean anything that isn't strictly the ratio of each case, and even then I like to cull that down to a sentence or two. I do this because it's rare you'll have to address the particular facts of a case (as opposed to the legal implications) in an exam - and even when it does happen, the "stories" that go with each case are pretty memorable. It can happen though, so keep your fleshed out notes (or a table of cases/legislation) on hand in the exam.

My structure looks something like this:

Case Name v Goes Here

• Ratio: Wherever possible, the ratio in one or two sentences goes here.
  • Facts: If completely necessary, one sentence to jog your memory on the facts goes here.
There's way, way more of this kind of thing at SurviveLaw.com though. It might be worth checking out our posts on last minute exam crams for some tips on preparation.

The Survive Law Team

Minax

HSC
I normally structure the summary by topic-subtopic and cross-ref the topics. To take the most obvious example in criminal law, I cross-ref the applicable defences with the offences. Under each topic, I prefer to set out the elements and then [the applicable rules]: [case name] (keywords of the facts). I agree with Richei, it's very rare that you have to mention the facts in exams. But again when you have to, you only need a few keywords of the facts to trigger the memory. That is, you'll remember if you have done the summary by yourself. In an exam, you certainly don't need to go to great lengths to discuss the facts of a case, however comparable it may be. I normally just say that "the facts of the present case are identical/similar/comparable to those of x case" This should suffice in my experience.

sean1990

HSC
dot points dot points dot points dot points.

make your 4 page summaries each week by combining your readings, lecture notes and any relevent legislation.

arrange with headings and subheadings and most information (if not all) in dot points.

When it comes time for your exam, (on the basis you'll have a hypothetical problem question) practice a question with your 4 pages of notes, and you'll realise you can probably get rid of things which you probably won't need in your exam for a hypothetical.

I probably wouldn't cut your 4 pages down until your sure you won't need it...

Lentern

HSC
I probably wouldn't cut your 4 pages down until your sure you won't need it...
I'd add if you do condense the notes(and you're using a computer to make them), don't save over the file save a "condensed privity notes" and "full privity notes". Unless its wrong never delete something you've made.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)