How do you write your Mathematics notes? (1 Viewer)

HSC
So yea, how do you guys write yours?

I write it on paper but I am a bit worried that they won't last the entire year...

So any suggestions?

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Paper is the best way to go. Write it in loose sheets and seperate them by topics and file it in a folder or if I have space...stick it on your wall.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Didn't need any. Maths is about applying what you know.

Few things in maths are actually rote, especially since all levels of maths besides X2 have a formula sheet now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Didn't need any. Maths is about applying what you know.

Few things in maths are actually rote, especially since all levels of maths besides X2 have a formula sheet now.

Quite a bit of it rote learnt by some people. For example, some people rote learn complex number loci, general solutions to trig. equations, lots of formulas (which are now going to be on a formula sheet but weren't before), etc.

leehuan

HSC
Quite a bit of it rote learnt by some people. For example, some people rote learn complex number loci, general solutions to trig. equations, lots of formulas (which are now going to be on a formula sheet but weren't before), etc.
Pretty sure general solutions also went on...unless I got something mixed up

Idk why but I get the feeling MX2 is the most roted of the HSC maths courses nowadays though

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Pretty sure general solutions also went on...unless I got something mixed up

Idk why but I get the feeling MX2 is the most roted of the HSC maths courses nowadays though
Even though many formulae are on the sheet now, people will probably still memorise at least some of them. It's like how all the standard integrals were always given, yet most people knew them all (or most) anyway.

leehuan

HSC
Even though many formulae are on the sheet now, people will probably still memorise at least some of them. It's like how all the standard integrals were always given, yet most people knew them all (or most) anyway.
True.

But in that case what do you define as rote again? Cause they just went right in my head after I got told them

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
True.

But in that case what do you define as rote again? Cause they just went right in my head after I got told them
I guess in this case, rote would be repeating something over and over (e.g. a formula or practice questions) until you get used to something without understanding in any way (even intuitively) why it's true or how it could be proved (or at least know that where it comes from). For example, some people for 4U graphs just memorise how to sketch things like f(|x|) and all the other transformations given a graph of y = f(x), without bothering to understand why they work how they do (e.g. why f(|x|) means flip the right part of the graph about the y-axis). Of course, a lot of people also understand why this is true, and then proceed to do lots of practice questions etc.; this I wouldn't consider rote.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
That's probably the distinguishing factor then... When I learn my maths I can almost always understand the reasoning behind it

Flop21

HSC
I found writing notes for HSC maths was helpful as it allowed me to revise over a whole chapter/topic and fill any gaps in my knowledge.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Notes for maths? People do that?

Just practice, practice, practice until you remember everything you need to remember.

Drsoccerball

HSC
A wise man once said, "Writing notes for maths is like wearing a raincoat in a shower."

jathu123

HSC
A wise man once said, "Writing notes for maths is like wearing a raincoat in a shower."
wow that's deep haha

@OP, but like what others said, I don't think you need notes for most parts of maths and as for me, I never make notes. When learning a new concept, the first few questions may require you to look at the relevant formula/reasoning behind it, but as you do more questions, it'll just come naturally. So I think the best way is to do more and more questions.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
wow that's deep haha

@OP, but like what others said, I don't think you need notes for most parts of maths and as for me, I never make notes. When learning a new concept, the first few questions may require you to look at the relevant formula/reasoning behind it, but as you do more questions, it'll just come naturally. So I think the best way is to do more and more questions.
he said that lol

astroman

HSC
Notes for maths is pretty debated, personally I like to have notes handy so I can remember the formulas and see how to apply them.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Whats the point of notes when you guys get formula sheets anyways :^)
I don't think it's the existence of a formula sheet that makes some people say notes for maths aren't useful, because people have said this before this year too, when formula sheets were not implemented (other than the standard integrals sheet).

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Whats the point of notes when you guys get formula sheets anyways :^)
Well, the formula sheet doesn't have everything on it. Just almost ;)

I think it depends on what you mean by notes though.

Some people just collect hard questions for each topic and call them notes.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
the formula sheet is pree shit tbh..it has all the basic shit needed for a question which most people already remember
for my 2u i saw the formula sheet after the test lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)