How does internal transfer work? (1 Viewer)

codislife

HSC
N/A
I'm going to be doing a science degree at UNSW but I know given it some thought and want to transfer into an science/commerce degree after sem 1 or sem 2. I've read the IPT website and it seems I need a min 75 WAM to transfer but I don't want to waste a year after I transfer so I want to do some electives from business/commerce and then have credit to transfer to the double deg without losing a year - would that work? If so could anyone please suggest some tips on the overall transfer procedure or electives that I have to choose?

Thanks.

Alkanes

HSC
Yes that would work. You can do commerce subjects and take credit for it, if you successfully transfer. That being said, there is also a risk if you don't achieve that minimum 75 WAM. You'd have to wait till at least semester 2 to transfer though as internal transfer applications has been already closed for semester 1, 2014.

Goodluck

codislife

HSC
N/A
Are the commerce electives mandatory for credit transfer or would a 75 WAM be all they take into account? If it's mandatory, are there any electives from commerce I have to take?

Alkanes

HSC
They would only take your WAM. The only compulsory electives you would take if you were to do commerce are acct1501, econ1101, mgmt1001 and econ1203. Note: these courses can also be taken as a gen ed or free elective.

lebomatic

HSC
Thanks for info alkanes I'm in a similar situation. So for first semester If I do compulsory courses Of my first degree + plus take those commerce electives you mentioned (and maintain 75 wam) I'll be able to successfully transfer? Or are there any other core courses required to be undertaken in order to transfer? Also if this correct, how many units of commerce electives would I need to take in first or second semester if I wanted to transfer by end of semester 1 or end of semester 2?? Sorry for the questions little troubled for time to choose subjects and unsure of how to do this properly...Ty!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
The WAM requirements in the IPT (internal program transfer) are guides and are the minimum required (usually). The higher you are from it, the higher your chances of securing a transfer. If the requirement is 75, and you're on a WAM of 75.01, then... you may or may not get the transfer, for instance.

Moreover, there are certain numbers of credit points you need to do to be able to transfer - it's usually 24, i.e. a full year.

The only two requirements for an internal program transfer, generally, are more than 24 credit points completed, and a WAM higher than the requirement.

D94

HSC
N/A
If you only do Science courses relevant to both the single and double, then you won't be wasting a year. You would just be 'ahead' in Science when you begin your Commerce courses after the transfer.

However, that being said, you can definitely do Commerce courses if you want to keep up with your commerce/science starting cohort.

codislife

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the help. Do you guys think it's possible for me to just stick with the single and then see if I can handle it and if my wam is 75+ after sem 1 or 2 or even during second yr, could I pick commerce elective/mandatory subjects then? Or will this be too late and/or cause we to fall behind and/or do an extra yer (5yrs instead of the usual 4yrs)?

Alkanes

HSC
You can pick up commerce electives anytime. Most of the courses, if not all are offered throughout both semesters and even summer school. You won't fall behind if you stick to the correct pathway indicated here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)