how does the rank of the school you attend effect your hsc mark (1 Viewer)

haydar

HSC
hey guys
So I have a few questions that are really making me confused so question 1 Is how does the rank of the school you attend effect your hsc mark because my school is ranked well above 400 and I want to make the most of my hsc so I can get a good atar to get into medicine so will attending a high ranked school will be better?

Question 2 how can someone who achieved the highest in the eternal take the mark of the person who got the highest In the external sorry if my questions kind of don’t makes sense but am really confused. Please reply and thanks in advance

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
1. Any rank you have seen for your school want apply to you as the ranks will be redone AFTER you and your cohort have done the HSC (it is an indication of how you school is going but applies to last year's cohort or even earlier). My school has moved between the 180s to high 500s and back again within the last 10 years - the move was over 100 places last year alone.

2. The school sends in a set of marks based on your assessments at school but these aren't the marks that will be used as your internal marks. To get the final internal mark the BOS has to moderate them and they use the external marks so the top external mark becomes the top internal mark and the same at the other end. The BOS is using the only common assessment task it has to ensure that students are given the appropriate marks.

3. Everyone keeps their own external mark.

4. Final HSC mark is made up of final (aligned external mark + moderated internal mark)/2

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
It will affect you to a certain degree if you are not coming 1st in each subject that you are doing.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It will affect you to a certain degree if you are not coming 1st in each subject that you are doing.
Just to add to Adrita's point, school rank is usually a bit indicative of the quality of the school cohort, it depends on how strong your cohort is, even if you are coming first in most or all of your subjects, you will need to make sure you are competing against yourself-very hard to do-to keep enough self discipline and ensure that you are marked according to HSC marking standards-which often are a lot harsher than school based assessments. Make sure you have alternate plans in the worst case scenario that you don't make it into medicine the first time around. Keep focused, remain determined and I wish you all the best in getting into Medicine:)

seerat

HSC
N/A
atleast try to get in top 250 schools..that will help more than 400 ranked shool
if u go to low ranked school..u exams will be not as hard

photastic

HSC
atleast try to get in top 250 schools..that will help more than 400 ranked shool
How do you know this? You can't judge the difficulty of exams based on the school rank.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
My school exams (ranked around 300) are harder than the JRAH past papers I've completed. There is no correlation between difficulty of internal exams and school rank, the school does whatever they want to do.

enoilgam

HSC
hey guys
So I have a few questions that are really making me confused so question 1 Is how does the rank of the school you attend effect your hsc mark because my school is ranked well above 400 and I want to make the most of my hsc so I can get a good atar to get into medicine so will attending a high ranked school will be better?
As cem has stated, school rankings are based on the previous years cohort and they can fluctuate wildly. Added to that, they are not official and there method of ranking schools isnt really that reliable an indication of the schools exact performance. However, whilst school rank doesnt affect your ATAR, the strength of your cohort can. It isnt a major factor and it usually only helps if you do well internally but poor externally (I'm not going to go into this because there are an abundance of threads regarding this issue on BoS). As I have said many times on BoS, the biggest determinant of a student's ATAR is the student themself - even if you go to a low ranked school, you can still get an extremely high mark if you put in the effort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)