How does UTS kuring gai campus work? (1 Viewer)

The Magus

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone :)

Will be starting a new degree at UTS this autumn.

Can any UTSer tell me how things are run at UTS?

in terms of
lectures (will they be availabe online)
tuts (will the tutors upload class notes online)
do they have turnitin?
how do we hand in assessments? soft copy or hard copy or both

Cheers!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I'm not a Kuringai campus student but i can still answer these questions as they aren't really specific to Kuringai.

I have only had one subject with recorded lectures at the moment and it was because the subject was a bludge and they only ran physical lectures 3 weeks of the term. No one watched any online lectures after the first haha. What you can do though is if city campus is more convenient you can rock up to the respective city lecture times if you want. I believe you may be able to enrol in them but even if not there is nothing stopping you attending them. Lecture notes have always been put online in every subject i've been in, some lecturers put up detailed ones and any problems they do in the lectures but others are the complete opposite and will do lazy lecture notes which need some stuff filled in and written down to get the complete notes. I've had one lecturer (Law component of Integrating Business Perspectives) who was described by my tutor as "All talk and no chalk" - there were pretty much no notes on the projector and im assuming like nothing online.

Tutorial stuff being uploaded depends on the subject, lecturers/subject coordinator and your tutor. Some subjects tutes are compulsory attendance and others you have a small weighting (usually 10%) given to tute attendance or weekly homework checked in tutes and ofcourse some subjects have neither of those.

Yes, we do use Turnitin. There is also a UTS developed system called SPARK which is used in some subjects for group assignments. Essentially each group member has to rate and/or give feedback on the other members in their group and the tutors either check it to make sure no students are lazy or in some subjects it is used to scale the assignment mark.

As for assessments, you guessed it, depends on the subject and what it is! Usually a soft copy is a must since most assignments will have to go through Turnitin, some subjects will require you to hand in a hard copy in addition to that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)