How good are my subjects? (1 Viewer)

altobang

HSC
Hi guys, im concerned about my subject selection for the prelimanary coarse.
Im not sure if my subjects will give me the mark i need to get into medicine 95+.

Below are my selected subjects:

Mathemaics Extension 1
Advanced English
Biology
Chemistry
Business
Studies of Religion

BTW can you help me with my selection of english. i am not sure if i should choose advanced or standard english. im thinking could i learn with the bottom kids of the grade? in standard. Will advanced get me a much higher ATAR?, etc

Cheers

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Im not sure if my subjects will give me the mark i need to get into medicine 95+.

Mathemaics Extension 1
Advanced English
Biology
Chemistry
Business
Studies of Religion

BTW can you help me with my selection of english. i am not sure if i should choose advanced or standard english. im thinking could i learn with the bottom kids of the grade? in standard. Will advanced get me a much higher ATAR?, etc

Cheers
http://www.boredofstudies.org/sam/ and UAI Calculator & ATAR Calculator (I prefer SAM)
Advance students generally work harder and are smarter so they get more B5/6's compared to standard.
I would go talk to your past english teacher and get their opinion on standard and advance
edit: I'm pretty sure Advance aligned better than standard although the scaling is the same

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Medicine's only 95+? Just remember you still need to do the UMAT as well. I do your subjects, except Mathematics Extension 2 is swapped for Business. It's possible for anyone to get 95+, you have to put in the effort and do really well.

Standard or Advanced? Ask your teacher for advice. =]

ilikebeeef

HSC

Mathemaics Extension 1
Advanced English
Biology
Chemistry
Business
Studies of Religion

Cheers
Choose Advanced.

You can't say that certain subjects are "good". It's different for everyone. Obviously, choose the subjects you're best at/enjoy the most.

a subject is only as good as the student who takes it, i'm afraid.
+1.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Any subject combination can get you 95+ - you just need to do well enough in them. Conversely there's no one subject combo that's guaranteed to get you a high ATAR; in fact if you pick harder courses just for the scaling you may find that you end up performing worse than if you had picked lower-scaling courses.

With regards to English, as someone who had the misfortune of being in a Standard class I'd say definitely go Advanced unless you really, really hate it. The kids in the Standard class aren't the sort who will be getting into Med, generally speaking. (That said, the one student in my year who got into Med did Standard, although he later regretted it as well.)

wendybird

HSC
There are no real good or bad subjects, its a matter of how good YOU are at the subject.

proletariat

HSC
standard vs advanced english...

Pick advanced english, you are pushed to do more work in class, get better marks, and overall, it scales better.

altobang

HSC
Thanks guys but i need to drop 1 of my subjects what do u think i should drop?

Physics
Biology
Business Studies

I want to keep Business but i need to drop 1 any ideas

Cheers

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Thanks guys but i need to drop 1 of my subjects what do u think i should drop?

Physics
Biology
Business Studies

I want to keep Business but i need to drop 1 any ideas

Cheers
If you drop any of those you'll be under 12 units, unless you pick up English Extension or something.

justinw

HSC

Mathemaics Extension 1
Advanced English
Biology
Chemistry
Business
Studies of Religion
theres 6 subjects there and dont you have to do maths to do extension maths or do you mean 2 unit?
anyways there nearly the same as mine minus religon

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you're gonna drop something, do Business. Also, they are pretty good.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
All scale great/fine except for Business and Studies of Religion.

If you're going to drop one, drop the one you hate the most (unless SOR is compulsory) and if you don't mind either, drop business.

Pick advanced English - it really isn't that much different to standard aside from you having to do Shakespeare. But that's only one module so suck it up as advance aligns much better than standard :)

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
All scale great/fine except for Business and Studies of Religion.

If you're going to drop one, drop the one you hate the most (unless SOR is compulsory) and if you don't mind either, drop business.

Pick advanced English - it really isn't that much different to standard aside from you having to do Shakespeare. But that's only one module so suck it up as advance aligns much better than standard :)
I cannot stress how much better Advanced is to do. If you don't like English and aren't completely stupid (most likely not for being on here) then you can do Advanced English. They still expect the same standard of work and so the only real difference is the content. Even then, it's English. You're going to love it or hate it either way you go. A few different topic choices aren't going to matter.

In terms of English, look at it this way. For standard <1% get a band 6. <10% get a band 5. In Advanced ~10% get a band 6 and ~30% get a band 5. It's not to say that you'll definitely get better marks in Advanced, but if you end up doing well (many people would jump from 60s to 10s [in terms of ranks]) then Advanced wont pull you down like Standard does.

Also, it never hurts to do the harder one first even if you're unsure, you can always drop down. It's bullshit hard to move up though.

Don't consider scaling too much unless its in terms of different levels of the same subject (maths/english). A subject can scale you up phenomenally but if you hate it you're still going to do poorly in it.

altobang

HSC
Hi guys thanks for your posts.

Though i thibnk i might do the subjects below:

Mathematics extension 1 and advanced

English Advanced

Chemistry

Biology

Physics

Business

Studies of Religion

the reason why i didnt yet drop anything is BECAUSE i am really good at business and there arnt many people choosing business (small class), physics also small class and content appears to be easy, unlike many misconsumptions, ALSO if i dont be a doctor i may become an engeneer. Finally i may stay with biology because i will need it if i want to study medicine in the future, though the problem is too many people in the class who may drag my mark down.

Should i do all the subjects or drop 1. i want to do really well in my ATAR (95+) OR will i be putting too much preassure on my self with the subjects.

Any suggestions?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Chemistry you'll find is the recommended studies for Medicine, not Biology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)