How hard is it to achieve a WAM of 70 in Computer Science during the first semester? (1 Viewer)

D94

HSC
N/A
Re: How hard is it to achieve a WAM of 70 in Computer Science during the first semest

Well what I was trying to say was that yes the courses are the same but obviously the Higher one would cover more stuff in depth.

the new concepts part; I don't really agree with; it was all 3/4U
So are you saying you did all of linear algebra in 3/4U excluding complex numbers? That was like 35% of the whole course (calc + alg combined)

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC
Re: How hard is it to achieve a WAM of 70 in Computer Science during the first semest

So are you saying you did all of linear algebra in 3/4U excluding complex numbers? That was like 35% of the whole course (calc + alg combined)
nah the stuff in 3/4U was more like 65+% of the 1141 course (IMO) [the linear alg stuff like matrices was new] and the stuff in 1241 (I am finding) is building on 1141 + some new stuff here and there [IMO]

D94

HSC
N/A

Building on is still new, and there are also completely new concepts in 1241 (e.g. it introduces Markov chain processes, exponential distribution, many Taylor Series tests). To say it's just 3/4U is simply not true.

Last edited:

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC

Building on is still new.
I guess that's just a matter of opinion

To say it's just 3/4U is simply not true.
I agree with this. I don't think I simply (srsly) said it was explicitly that but rather the concepts were built on from that

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

The difference between 1141 and 1131 in difficulty is approximately like comparing 4U to 2/3U in HSC.

Though the content is in absolutely no way even HSC level or even 4U (exception of Complex Numbers).

However the content is much more difficult in 1141 and requires a lot more explanation and in depth though on what is going on hence why its completely different. 1141 students need to know a lot more depth behind what they are doing in comparison to 1131 students.

Don't really know how people can compare HSC maths to Uni maths. They are completely different.

Uni maths gives you a tool kit of ideas and ways to implement them, whereas HSC maths just gets you ready for more computational type work and shows you what you can do using specific tools. You haven't been given the option to develop a complete tool kit yet in HSC.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A

How is it a matter of opinion? You just said matrices was new (not building on), but matrices is just building on from simultaneous equations that we learned in high school.

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad

I agree with this. I don't think I simply (srsly) said it was explicitly that but rather the concepts were built on from that
Don't argue with D94 bro, he has an alien as his avatar.

stgeorge2

HSC

Although there is no relationship between your ATAR and WAM, but result is a reflection of your consistent hard work. If you achieved a decent ATAR, continuing your same attitude in uni should be fine to achieve a WAM of 70, from what I know, people who scored 90+ ATAR can maintain a 65 WAM with about 80% of their HSC effort, otherwise, you may seek and research for advices specifically focus on how to improve WAM / GPA / results / study strategies etc.

a19901213

HSC

Achieving 70+ WAM in one semester is not hard. As long as you consistently follow the progress of the course then you gonna be fine.
However it is hard to get 70+ WAM for the degree coz you have to consistently work hard throughout your degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)