How hard is it to get into JD at UNSW or USYD? (1 Viewer)

Rhodes

HSC
Hey i was just wondering what the entry requirements are to get into a JD?
Is it a ATAR/GPA combination or just ATAR?
Difference between CSP and full fee paying places?

izzy88

HSC
From USYD's law school website- entry into the JD is assessed as:

"The criteria are 25% ATAR or equivalent and 75% tertiary grade point average. If you have more than one degree, the tertiary record will be assessed on the best degree.

Your chances may be improved if you have completed a research degree, a masters’ coursework degree or an honours degree. If you do not have an ATAR or equivalent you will be assessed on your tertiary record alone."

You can also apply for special consideration if; "you have a poor ATAR or equivalent, need to explain a poor secondary record, or believe your tertiary studies have been significantly affected by misadventure, illness or other compelling circumstances, you may be eligible for admission under special consideration."

I'm not sure of how high the atar/gpa have to be...sydney just started up the JD this year, so there aren't really many people with information (although I'm guessing it would be similar to the LLB). The same for CSP vs full fee places...except that wasn't there for the LLB.

rx34

HSC
So there is a CSP and full-fee option for JD? Interesting.

izzy88

HSC
So there is a CSP and full-fee option for JD? Interesting.
yes. that's why all the law schools have introduced the JD, so they could have full-fee places.

Essentially, when Rudd got rid of full fee places for undergraduate/bachelor courses, the law schools got annoyed and cried that they lost a lot of money, so they introduced the JD- the JD counts as a graduate/post-grad degree and so they are allowed to have full fee places.

letsfindlara

HSC
My friend applied for a JD at UTS, USYD and UNSW in 2011. UTS offered him a CSP spot, USYD offered him a full-fee spot and UNSW denied him on the basis of his marks. He took the USYD full fee JD.

The difference between CSP and full-fee - IS MONEY!

Full fee degrees are far more expensive.

dilemma244

HSC
The full-fee place costs $80 000 while the international places cost around $102 000... so basically if you have rich parents it will be a lot easier to get in because as you can imagine there are only going to be a small handful of people wanting to study grad law that actually have that kind of money.....

dilemma244

HSC
Sorry this is the correct amounts that were posted on the used website "

"The JD cohort will retain the 95 Commonwealth Supported Places (CSPs) (under which students pay HECS) which currently exist in the grad degree, as well as 25 full-fee paying places for domestic students and approximately 30 full-fee paying places for international students. CSP students will pay around $8 000 a year ($24 000 in total); their full-fee paying counterparts will pay approximately $85 000 if they are domestic students and $102 000 if they are international students. Students have expressed concern about the costs of these degrees"

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Pardon my ignorance - but even if you're on HECS, you're still going to have to owe the same amount of money, later on down the track, right?

dilemma244

HSC
Pardon my ignorance - but even if you're on HECS, you're still going to have to owe the same amount of money, later on down the track, right?

No, there is a HUGE disparity between what the CSP and the Full-fee paying students will pay. As was mentioned in my previous post people who gain entry into the Commonwealth Supported Place place will pay 8000 a year and its a three year course so therefore 24 000 for the entire course. That is significantly less than $85 000 or $102000 and unlike the full-fee fees you can pay the $24,000 back over an extended period of time. As discussed by someone else in this thread, the full-fee paying places are designed to inject cash into the institution straight away.

here is the link to all the info - http://www.src.usyd.edu.au/honisoit/?q=node/69

Last edited:

funnytomato

HSC
don't full-fee paying students(i thought that's abolished...) pay the same amount as international students ?

izzy88

HSC
don't full-fee paying students(i thought that's abolished...) pay the same amount as international students ?
no I think there's a different scale between full-fee domestic and full-fee international.

Rudd only abolished full fee domestic places for undergraduate degrees - lots of masters/graduate/postgrad degrees have full fee domestic places.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)