How important is yr 11 ? (1 Viewer)

golfpro

HSC
N/A
I finished yr 12 last year and got crap results, i was only 17 when i finished.

Ive been trying to redo the hsc this yr but i only got a month to finish 5 prelim subjects and i didnt grasp any of it.

So ive been thinking of going back into year 11 ! and finishing the hsc next year, so i will be 19 at the end of next year.

But these past years ive been such a bludger and i never did any work, and when i got into yr 12 i realised i didnt know anything about chemistry, didnt know how to write equations or anything and then realised god i really did need to know all that stuff to even learn the new stuff, so i was screwed becasuse i didnt do anythin in yr 11.

so i got bad yr 12 marks as well as i continued to bludge.

So im asking how important is yr 11 in ur view, and if u think i should go back and re do it. ( id only be a year old for the grade, heaps of people are like that)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Not very important but you do need to grasp the skills and have an understanding of the course, how to write, complete equations etc so in that scheme of things then yes but in the same regard no.

golfpro

HSC
N/A
as well i want to do ext 2 mafs for hsc, so i need to go back and do well in ext 1.

I find that i do need to know the previous work to get concepts in the yr 12 syllabus.

Like in chem; equations, mols, etc all that crap

but yeah im considering it.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Well if i were u i would go to tafe and do either a diploma/ certificate course because they can get you a job + get you a place in uni. Just think of it because you could be wasting another 2 years at high school, while you couldve gotten a qualification.

Beege

HSC
I did so shit in year 11 but my marks have improved dramatically this year. Anyway your year 11 work doesn't count towards your year 12 assessment.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
As said before yr11 marks don't matter.
In some subjects they will often use yr11 stuff in exams (ie maths) but you have plenty of time to catch up on it. I had to catch up on my maths and ended up doing well (band5).
yr 11 is really just to help you get to yr12 but it really isn't that important. I thought about repeating yr11 but honestly there is no need to what so ever.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Year 11 really doesn't matter. Even for the subjects it does, like maths and chem, it's not impossible to learn the bits you dont know as you go. I did it with maths. Have you tried getting a tutor?

Also, what do you want to do after school, uni? There are enabling programs at a few uni's that you can do if you don't get the UAI you need, and then you can get accepted into your course the year after.

You've already repeated once so looking into all your other options is probably a good idea. You could end up feeling really unmotivated by next year being in school so long, so you could end up doing no better/even worse than the year before. Then it would be a bit like "wasting" a few years of your life.

But we can't make the decision for you, good luck with whatever you decide!

goosiegoo

HSC
Yr 11 was important for me because i got a grasp of doing everything... so that when Year 12 came i didn't have to learn proper essay style then, and get bad marks because of this - i had learnt it in yr 11 when it didn't count.
I know that in Maths.. i think they can ask you 30% of Yr 11 work in the exam.. Or so i heard, so thats important...
Anndd... really, in alot of the subjects it gives you a feel for the language used, and there are some things you really need to know if you wanna understand yr 12 properly.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Can I ask what subjects you do?

Subjects like maths you need a lot of yr 11 knowledge for. However for subjects like English and Modern History I dont think yr 11 is very important, although it does help to develop your skills in things like source anaysis and stuff.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
golfpro said:
I finished yr 12 last year and got crap results, i was only 17 when i finished.

Ive been trying to redo the hsc this yr but i only got a month to finish 5 prelim subjects and i didnt grasp any of it.

So ive been thinking of going back into year 11 ! and finishing the hsc next year, so i will be 19 at the end of next year.

But these past years ive been such a bludger and i never did any work, and when i got into yr 12 i realised i didnt know anything about chemistry, didnt know how to write equations or anything and then realised god i really did need to know all that stuff to even learn the new stuff, so i was screwed becasuse i didnt do anythin in yr 11.

so i got bad yr 12 marks as well as i continued to bludge.

So im asking how important is yr 11 in ur view, and if u think i should go back and re do it. ( id only be a year old for the grade, heaps of people are like that)

I used to be one of those people who considered repeating year 12.. [i wouldnt go back to year 11.. if naything i'd just restart year 12 with the year 11's when my current grade were about to start their HSC exams..] [and i could quite well do it.. I'll finish when i'm 17 too]

But now... i dont know..
i dont see the point of it..
I'm just going to go to France for a year... and then come back to uni and do whatever course i can get into.. [because the plausibility of the 99.55 for comb law isnt all that great..] and then transfer.
i figure the year away would be better spent than an additional year at school. [and i'll come back more refreshed and able to focus and hopefully be able to transfer..]

Accordng to my depuuty, studies have shown that people who repeat generally go even worse [as their attention spans decrease]
And while you have to take into account urself as an individual...[and that perhaps u wouldnt adhere to the statistics..]
you have to be realistic.
From your posts you already said u didnt do well in 11&12 because u bludged.

Do u think repeating would be anydifferent?
i believe it would probably be even worse.

I think the only real subjects that u need to have previous knowledge for is, 'maffs' as you call it;).. [esp if u want to do such high levels..]

That said, i only did prelim Physics and didnt do Chemistry.

I can vouch that for Visual arts and Studies of Religion, you dont need the prior knowledge.
[Or english..]

Goodluck.

Mezra

HSC
I remember you! You're the one who said you have a really high UAI and feel bad that you haven't studied, taken advantage of it, etc.

Ha. I think you're best off going to tafe and getting to university that way, if it's what you really want.
Highschool doesn't seem like it's doing much for you. Maybe in a different environment you'll feel more compelled to learn.

golfpro

HSC
N/A
nah i never said i had a high uai, i said high IQ but dw about that.

Ive made my decision, this year im just going to take off, next year i will do the HSC in one year, but ill study it at a TAFE campus. Currently im doing it through correspondance and its very hard becuase u dont have any teachers and crap, plus there are so many distractions such as computer and tv.

So this year im going to take off, ill go to the library and slowly introduce myself to all the prelim work and then next year they will cover the prelim in one term and ill be ready for it, then on to the hsc.

the way im looking at it is if people take a gap year off after school then this will be my gap year kinda thing.

im also going to study poker and as soon as im 18 im goin straight to star city he hehe

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Wait noooo theres one more option.

Pathways. You can do yr12 and whatever subjects you feel you did poorly in you can repeat and do those subjects exclusivly at either TAFE or your old school.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
whether you repeat 1 or all your HSC subjects its automatically considered pathways anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)