How many majors can we experiment with b4 finalising our majors? (1 Viewer)

rockvsstone

HSC
Hey guys,
I got offered B Commerce. I was curious, how many majors can we experiment/play around with b4 we must finalise whether we want to do 1 or 2 definite majors to graduate with? I've heard you only got one yr to experiment or something? Though I'm not sure. Anyways, I'd appreciate it if anyone could answer as I'm deciding between Marketing, Finance and Accounting as the optional majors beside from the core . Thanks :wave:

litany

Helpfool
HSC
If you are doing a straight Commerce course (not combined) this means you have 144 UOC (units of credit). Incase you are wondering why - and for disambiguitive purposes - this is because it is a 3 year course, with 2 semesters a year and 24 units of credit a semester.

Of these 144 UOC, 36 of them are 'core' subjects that you have to do. This translates into 6 core subjects, which are split between the two semesters in your first year (3 each semester). This translates to 108 UOC left for working towards your major/s. The question of how long you can 'mess' around with your free UOC is dependent on how many majors you are planning to take. If it is one major, you have to have 1 major and 1 minor, with the major consisting of 48 UOC and the minor 24 UOC, leaving you with 24 units of credit to 'play' with - with the further remaining 12 UOC (thus the aforementioned 108 UOC total) being mandatory general education units.

If you are planning on double majoring, this means 42 UOC per major (total of 84 units) and 12 units of credit to 'play' with, and then a further 12 UOC being the mandatory general education units (thus totalling 108 as before).

So, in summary, if you are planning on doing 1 major, you can mess around with 4 subjects, whereas if you are doing 2 majors, you can only mess around with 2 subjects. The important thing to note is that in order to complete a major you must follow a sequence of study, and some courses (aka. subjects) require the completion of prerequisite subjects.

What does this mean in layman's terms? Essentially, choose your major before the end of Year 1, regardless of whether or not your single or double majoring. This is advisable because if you do not, you may find that although you have the hypothetical free UOC to do a single or double major, you cannot do the courses required to fulfill the major/s in time, because you cannot, for instance, do a level 3 accounting subject at the same time as its prerequisite level 2 accounting subject.

Feel free to ask me to clarify anything if I've been confusing.

Last edited:

rockvsstone

HSC
Heyy, thanks soo much for all that detailed explanation:) I read the UNSW Handbook and didn't really understood it at all until you explained it lol. So yes, I get it so much more now!!!

Just a quick clarify question, if I'm double majoring doesn't that mean I could major in two subjects such as Accounting and finance with the addition of having 'messed' around with two other subjects ( eg. Marketing and Taxation) as 12 Credit points (6 credits for each subject)= one try for each subject for just one semester?

litany

Helpfool
HSC
Yep, you're correct :) It's noted in the handbook, specifically:

UNSW Handbook said:
9.1.4 The remaining Business course or credit requirements not required for a major sequence and not Year 1 core courses, as prescribed, if any, may be chosen from any other courses offered by the Australian School of Business.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Just a note of caution for those who want to do a double major in accounting/finance with recognition for Chartered Accountant for post-graduate study;

You will not have any units to spare with respect to the majors for ACCT & finance (except for the electives in each major).

For EG:

6 Core courses - 36UOC
GEN ED courses - 12UOC
Total: 48 UOC.

However, 2 of these core courses are prerequisities for Accounting major (ACCT1A & 1B) which also counts to the UOC spent towards your ACCT major.
So that's 12 Units already done of your ACCT major. You have 30 units left. Which is generally used up by ACCT2A & 2B + 3 other ACCT Subjs

Which is equivalent to 42UOC.

Finance, you have 4 "core" courses to the major which are 1612,1613, 2624 and 3616 & 3 electives.
= 42 UOC.

However, the rest of the Units that you have to complete your course (24Units; remember 12 units of the core courses counted towards your Accounting major) are used in the Business law & taxation subjects that you are required to take to be qualified for CA or alternatively, CPA.

These 4 subjects are:
LEGT1711, LEGT2721, LEGT2741 & LEGT2751

gh0stface

HSC
sorry for hijacking thread, im also planning to do a double major accounting/finance.

I enrolled in LEGL1711(required to be recognised as CA) without any of this prior knowledge about the course structure. Im wandering if doing this subject in the first year is a good choice in terms of the difficulty in coping with the work.

thanks

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
sorry for hijacking thread, im also planning to do a double major accounting/finance.

I enrolled in LEGL1711(required to be recognised as CA) without any of this prior knowledge about the course structure. Im wandering if doing this subject in the first year is a good choice in terms of the difficulty in coping with the work.

thanks
It's not too much of a bad course.

I had no legal knowledge when I enrolled in LEGT1711. I managed to pick up a High Cr/Low DN (can't remember) for that course. Many first yerars do LEGT1711 in sem1

Although, the way i structured my Uni courses were as followed:
Year 1 sem1:
ACCT1501
ECON1101
ECON1202
FINS1612

SEM2
ACCT1511
ECON1102 (MACROECONOMICS)
ECON1203 (QMB)
FINS1613

YEAR2 SEM1
ACCT2A
FINS2624
ACCT3616
LEGT1711

SEM2
ACCT2B
FINS OPTION
LEGT2721
GENED (6UNITS WORTH)

Year 3
Session 1
ACCT3563
LEGT2741
Gen Ed (6 units worth)
Finance Option

Session 2
ACCT3610
ACCT3708
Finance option
LEGT2571

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)