How many related texts do u think they'll ask for this year? Its sooooo stupid!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

~~**maltsyn**~~

I can't write that many related texts in 40 mins!!!!!!!!!!!!Changing self.......Gwen Harwood.
It IS 40 mins right?........:confused:
Hmmm.....Goshhhhhhhhh...........I hope and wish and hope and wish and............that they'll ask for only one........
BUT i gotta prepare atleast 2 n e way!
The stttttttupid thing is that: if i prepare in detail 1 related text NOW, and they ask for "related texts" or "more than one" etc, then i'll havto CONDENSE my 1 related text and add another.
But! If i prepare for 2 related texts NOW, and they ask for "one" or "at least one related text" then ill havto leave out one text AND EXPAND on the other!!!!!!!!!
Gosh, i wish i had power to predict stuff!!!@!! woops

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Remember, you can alwaqys do two, it normally says "at least one", and so two will be looked on more favourably (I'm guessing ...)

Mordenkainen

HSC
N/A
it's usually best to do 2, because if you do one, you'll have to maintain the sophistication of your analysis and not waffle (which is harder than it sounds).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by ~~**maltsyn**~~
Gosh, i wish i had power to predict stuff!!!@!! woops
well it was fairly predictable last yr...
after looking at a lot of past papers (HSC and trials), questions do become predictable
but yes, as others have said, prepare for 2, its easier than writing about just one - since u have more to link and have a stronger argument base

Rahul

Dead Member
in 40 mins they expect u to write about the core text, one item from the stimulus booklet, and two related materials(i had a movie and short story)

its rather ridiculous....the core text and stimulus b'let item shoud be enuff:mad1:

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
in 40 mins they expect u to write about the core text, one item from the stimulus booklet, and two related materials(i had a movie and short story)

its rather ridiculous....the core text and stimulus b'let item shoud be enuff:mad1:
agree
:mad1:

Huy

HSC
N/A
*dies*

prescribed text: 3 poems from skryznecki, quotes, explanations,
stimulus booklet: learn 2, memorise 1, use 1, quotes, explanations

related material portfolio: 3, have 3, use 2, quotes, explanations

BUT, if that wasn't enough,
we're doing the area of study (changing persp),
our half yearlies run for 3 hr exams (parallels with the trails/hsc)

so, if that wasn't enough:
we'll be doing an essay on frontline (module C) that we did in term 4, 2002. INCLUDING supplementary material for frontline!

11 texts all up "to do/learn"
but 8 to memorise by thursday (i have my half yearly exam on thursday, 9am).

techniques, quotes, ARGH!

and also, after 2 hours, (out of 2:45) they'll be taking our AoS papers away from us, so we'll have to write our frontline essays as it will be "good practice" -- it doesn't go towards our internal assessment mark, but it'll be reported on our school reports.

WHAT ON EARTH!

and to add salt to the wound?
the very next morning (friday), i've got ext1 english.
a further 3 texts (big sleep, real insp. hound, supplementary, and it is also "recommended" that we use 2 related texts).

15 texts to memorise/learn in 5-6 days? from a wide variety of mediums?

"what a world, what a world..." (wizard of oz; wicked witch of the west)

"i'm melting.... melting.....!!!" :mad:

craz

HSC
how many related texts do u think they'll ask for this year?

Usually they ask for two. yeah...such time strain especiaally in english. In the Area of study, I have to write about the Changing document "The Door" and "Sky High", stimulus booklet (same as document), Away by Michael Gow, Seachange - TV series, and two related texts of our own choice. It's just as much for the other modules as well. i.e. short stories, poetry etc.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I can understand ur pain...but I think u've missed the point - its not really about quantity, rather concise quality - I had to write about 4 texts last yr, and I could do it in 40 mins - jus have to practice getting together the most important ideas and linking ur texts

craz

HSC
i understand. im learning to write faster with more information now. so much to write but little time to write in. However as long as the point is there im happy. hopefully the examiner will get it

astron

HSC
N/A
Well, Here's my 2 cents worth.

The area of study is always a huge task, because of the stuff you need to learn.

In Paper One, whilst it should ideally be 40 minutes per section. I find it better to rush through the first section and do it in 35 minutes. Then, attempt question three, in 45 minutes, and then leave question two to the last 40 minutes.

Our teacher recommends talking about three poems. But remember that you dont have to structure your exam talking about one poem, then the next, then the next. You can talk about a CONCEPT rather than a poem, and then say "this concept is shown in this poem and this one, through techniques... etc"
That may help to save time. (An integrated reponse aids the synthesis, and is more sophisticated).

I believe that there are two related texts required (because it refers to related TEXTS which means two or more.) and always one from the stimulus booklet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)