How many significant figures? (1 Viewer)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
How many decimal points and significant figures should we round off our answers to?
i use the whole calculation (store on calculator) and when i check answers mine are lik a bit off cause they round off .... :S

beentherdunthat

HSC
wrxsti said:
How many decimal points and significant figures should we round off our answers to?
i use the whole calculation (store on calculator) and when i check answers mine are lik a bit off cause they round off .... :S
I always use the whole number 0.0387393 etc. until I get the final answer. And then round off. Sometimes, it makes a difference and they won't give you a mark for continued error.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
um so ill use whole calculation till end? where i round off to figures they give me?

beentherdunthat

HSC
wrxsti said:
um so ill use whole calculation till end? where i round off to figures they give me?
Yeah, that's what I suggest. They don't really tell you to round off in chem though, not as much as in Maths anyway :p

undalay

HSC
Your final answer should be to the amount of significant figures equal to the lowest in the question.
Eg what is the weight of MgO after burning 250g of Mg, your answer would be to 2 significant figures.

Exception to this is pH, where you add one. What is the pH of 1 mol of HCl. Your answer would be to 2 significant figures.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
undalay said:
Your final answer should be to the amount of significant figures equal to the lowest in the question.
Eg what is the weight of MgO after burning 250g of Mg, your answer would be to 2 significant figures.

Exception to this is pH, where you add one. What is the pH of 1 mol of HCl. Your answer would be to 2 significant figures.
Almost correct, /clap nontheless

- this is correct

- This is actually ambiguous... the question could be in 2 sig fig or 3 sig fig....

pH is actually different.... pH of 0.1 actually counts as 1 sig fig, believe it or not...

Now, I would carry as many dp as possible, until the final answer, then use the smallest sig fig as stated in question.

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
I tend to use the entire number given by the calc until I reach the final answer, where I usually round off to 3dp.

Is significant figures the notation BOS prefers? Will I be marked down for answers that are off cos I used decimals instead of significant figures? o_O;

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
Chinmoku03 said:
Is significant figures the notation BOS prefers?
No. They are different things.

Chinmoku03 said:
Will I be marked down for answers that are off cos I used decimals instead of significant figures?
Yes because you will give the wrong answer.

eg. 256.265 has 6 significant figures but only 3 decimal places.
If the answer asked for 3 sig. figs. your answer would be 256.
If the answer asked for 3 d.p. your answer would be 256.265.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
but how do you know the number of sig. fig. in the question. You only know this if all values are given in scientific notation. for example 250g, could be either 2sig. fig. or 3 sig. fig. We don't know.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
It's usually 3, so stick with it if it's undecidable - as stated by Roland Smith himself (from somewhere I can't remember!)

undalay

HSC
me121 said:
but how do you know the number of sig. fig. in the question. You only know this if all values are given in scientific notation. for example 250g, could be either 2sig. fig. or 3 sig. fig. We don't know.
Okay guys. 250g this is 2 sig figs. if they want you to use three there will be a dot after it. for example

250 g = 2 sig figs
250. g = 3 sig figs.

xiao1985 said:
pH of 0.1 actually counts as 1 sig fig, believe it or not...
I don't understand :S why wouldn't it count as 1 sig fig?

This is how i learnt it anyways.

Shakugan

HSC
I have also been worrying about this. I do not wish to lose a significant amount of easy marks because of incorrect decisions on how many significant figures.

The questions that always confuse me in regards to significant figures are the questions that include information listed with one significant figure.

For example, a question in the 2002 paper states "A sample of hard water contains 6x10^-4 mol/L of magnesium carbonate. Calculate the mass of magnesium carbonate in 150ml of this sample"

The answer is about 7.59mg, but shouldn't this question be report to 1 significant figure? As 6x10^-4 is only one significant figure. I'm always confused by this because 1 significant figure in this scenario seems very inaccurate.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
If 'n' amount of significant figures was given in the question then you must use 'n' amount of decimal places in your final answer.
Throughout the calculations you may write down 'n' nubmer of decimal places but keep the full calcualtor display and use it throughout subsequent calculations.

helper

HSC
N/A
You are not going to be penalised multiple times for significant figures. They may decide to deduct in one question but it will not worry about it for most questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)