How many units/subjects are you doing, and what do you recommend? (1 Viewer)

ciaran5694

HSC
I am nearly finished year 11 and still can't come to a decision whether I keep all 12 units (six subjects with 8 study periods a fortnight) I currently have, and leave my lowest marks out of the HSC or if I should drop a subject and go to 10 units with 16 study periods a fortnight, so I can focus on getting higher marks on less subjects.

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks guys.

If it helps, I'm doing:
Gen. Maths
Adv. English
Studies of Rel. 2
Chemistry
Physics
IPT

All 2 units, and if I were to drop, it would most likely be IPT (my worst subject)

SpiceTrader

HSC
I'm doing 11 units in the HSC right now which are:
-Mathematics
-Ext.1 Math
-Standard English
-Chemistry
-Physics
-Legal Studies

I did Business Studies in year 11 but I dropped it cause I found it extremely boring. Best choice I made, if you're dedicated to actually studying during your free time at school and you don't really enjoy IPT I would recommend you dropped, but if you think you're gonna end up just socializing the entire time I'd think twice about it.

enoilgam

HSC
Dropping subjects is a personal decision - some people like to go in with 10 units, others like to keep one or two as back up and others go in with 13+ units. Some factors you should consider include:

- Which is your worst subject, and how much worse are you going in it compared to other subjects? If your really good in most your subjects and terrible in one, then your probably best off dropping it

- Do you intend to apply yourself to all your subjects? There is no point sitting in a classroom 8 times a fortnight if you arent going to put in any effort into a subject because you think "it wont count" - you will be wasting your time and you could end up dragging down the cohort.

- Can you manage your current workload?

- Are you prepared to go into the HSC without any backup units.

ciaran5694

HSC
I do plan on using my free periods to do study and my workload right now isn't to bad, but it is a squeeze to keep up with it all the time. I am doing a fair bit worse in IPT than any other subject and I am confident about going into the HSC with no backup. I'm definitely leaning towards dropping.

Also, my teacher in IPT isn't the best. We haven't done one word of theory work all year and now exams are near he's expecting us to know everything, when we haven't done anything. I don't think that is going to help during my HSC year :/

mark H

HSC
Do 10 units and excel in them instead of having a negative mindset saying you need 12 bcuz u will screw up in 1 subject.

ciaran5694

HSC
Do 10 units and excel in them instead of having a negative mindset saying you need 12 bcuz u will screw up in 1 subject.
Hmm.. Never thought of it that way and it made me feel good about myself, thank you very much :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)